Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fruita/GJ Conditions

164K views 647 replies 173 participants last post by  #mtnbykr 
#1 ·
Hi there from the front range,

Wondering about the conditions there right now. Snow on the ground? Thanks.

#451 ·
Yup, we've got some accumulation in GJ and it's still coming down, sounds like they are expecting 1-2" here. Trails are gonna need some time to dry out. But we NEED the moisture so I'll happily give up some riding days. Stuff was already getting sandy in Feb, not good.

#455 ·
When will them slackers get around to making me a web cam of Horsethief? And an App. And a tattoo template so i can tell the world that I like Loma?

But, thanks. That i-70 cam is actually dang good for that region.
the Utah State line cam is pretty perfect.
All jokes aside- Thanks.

#458 ·
REALLY!!!!?
Steven- Are you messing w/ me?
I'm off Wed-Sat and if I could steal time for Fruita, I'm there.
As the weather changes in the next few days, please keep posting. It might be worth the trip (typed as the snow continues to fall here).

#464 ·
I'm also hoping to pedal Loma/Lunch and such Fri/Sat.
Info that'll help me not drive if it's bad would be great.
(No way Edge will be ready.... Says me-the out of towner)
I'll be the pale preseason fat clown trying to remember how his bike works.
And I'll be smiling.

#465 ·
Can anyone recommend two rides that will be dry this weekend? I am looking for something long like 18-30 miles and something a little shorter. Going to be riding with my buddy who is new to the sport but has a nice bike and is in decent shape. I want to hurt him but I don't want him to get hurt so nothing too techy. He lives in junction and is my crash pad so I want him to ride stuff that is going to leave him wanting moore.

#467 ·
I wouldn't recommend LL's in this case. He may be doing a bunch of walking and probably won't have a great time if he really is a beginner. If he's truly a beginner 18rd or Kokopelli is a better choice IMO.

However IF you do go to lunch loops, do a shorter loop like Pete-e-kes, high noon, raven ridge, Ali-Ali-loop, Miramonte Rim and even maybe Clunker and Holey Bucket, then back up to finish with Kurt's Lane down. Not too much danger there. I wouldn't take beginners on much else up there (including Gunny). 10-15 miles at LL usually feels like 20+ at other areas.......

Not sure how everything is drying out after our snow on Tuesday, but I think most everything should be good by Sat.

#475 ·
Anyone have an idea on how 18rd will be for Sunday? Signed up for the Rumble at 18rd, but checking weather and cams, I am seeing some rain/snow.

Heading over from Denver, but don't want to make the trip if its going to be a mess..I know it does not take much moisture to turn 18rd into a clay fest!

Looks like rain is off and on for the weekend..

#478 ·
It has been raining here in GJ for the last 2 days. Very hard at times, and never less than a steady drizzle.

Just out running errands and I could see, through a brief sucker hole, that the snow line is all the way down the Bookcliffs and within ~100' of the valley floor.

That, and it's supposed to keep raining tonight.

In short, if you want to ride in the Grand Valley this weekend, bring a road bike, fenders, and your racing cape. Our dirt is mud, and will be til at least Monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.