Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fruita/GJ Conditions

164K views 647 replies 173 participants last post by  #mtnbykr 
#1 ·
Hi there from the front range,

Wondering about the conditions there right now. Snow on the ground? Thanks.

#421 ·
Any updates from locals on the conditions in the Fruita/Loma area? Specifically Mary's, Horsethief, more fun, etc. Not sure what the impact of the last couple storms was for this area. In case you're interested, low lying areas and southern exposed front range riding is still OK. Expect a bit of snow in spots but I rode Green Mtn today pretty easily with no fat bike required.

#428 ·
There is a Facebook group called Colorado Western Slope Trail Conditions where there are frequent trail condition updates. Latest posts today show that some Loma trails, like Rustler's and Wrangler's are already close to GTG at any time of the day. The total snowpack was only a few inches so your chances are good even for this weekend. However some of the shadier north facing trails like Mack Ridge or Holy Cross will be iffy.

#434 · (Edited)
Has anyone ridden free lunch/holy cross recently? From what i remember, they tend to hold onto snow a little more than some of the other trails at lunch loops. Any thoughts on Moore fun? I'll be heading that way from Golden on saturday morning to squeeze in a few rides!

Edit: Moore fun is in great shape, a thin layer of packed snow in a few spots on the climb heading west to east, not enough to alter the ride.

#435 · (Edited)
Free lunch/holy cross were in perfect shape, as were the climbs back to the little park trailhead. I managed to get 2 loops in before heading over to 18 road to ride zippity with my sister. Frontline probably needs a few more days to dry out or needs to be ridden while frozen, quite a bit of mud and people riding off trail. Zippity is mostly in great shape with wet spots on the last short climb or two.

#437 ·
Frontline probably needs a few more days to dry out or needs to be ridden while frozen, quite a bit of mud and people riding off trail. Zippity is mostly in great shape with wet spots on the last short climb or two.
if it muddy, that's a good time to turn around, riding 18 rd now will make it suck when its dry. There is 200+ miles of dry killer trails in the valley. 18 rd/Bookcliffs is still a no go.

#442 ·
Oh man...
Wow. Oh man....
Fumbling around on preseason too pale legs and anemic lungs was just fine Tues/Wed this week.
All trails are Loma are worth tire time.
Go ride. It was like Velcro. Lots of traction, not many people.
Perfect.

#446 ·
I'd keep a close eye on the weather, it looks like cooler weather this coming weekend with possible snow/rain friday night/saturday for the grand valley. If you want to avoid crowds sidewinder trail and a lot of montrose trails down lower were dry this last weekend.

#447 ·
Rode Kokopelli's this morning. Great conditions and it's so dry that the sand is even getting deep.

I'm not sure about how much moisture we'll get this weekend but I'd guess that conditions South of the I-70 will still be OK unless we get a ton of rain.
Unreal February riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.