Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 413
  1. #351
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,816
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    And now this?

    How much footage over there in Frutah/Grand Junkyard? Looks like clear weather through the holiday weekend, but how much slushmud will there be on the trails?
    Should be pretty good by mid-week. Currently very sunny and mid-40s. Snow is gone everywhere but the shade. I'm thinking hero dirt this weekend.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  2. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    180
    Horsethief was decent this morning, by tomorrow, tuesday, everything should be pretty good, and wednesday it should be spectacular.

  3. #353
    Singletrack Slacker
    Reputation: Heckled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    189
    No snow left. Reports I got today... Koko and rabbit valley are ready now, I'd give lunch loops and 18rd another day or two. Forecast looks good through thanksgiving.
    I need to ride moooore

  4. #354
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    ... I'm thinking hero dirt this weekend.
    Thanks folks. Might have to go get myself a red sand fix this weekend. All froze up over this way...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  5. #355
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckled View Post
    No snow left. Reports I got today... Koko and rabbit valley are ready now, I'd give lunch loops and 18rd another day or two. Forecast looks good through thanksgiving.
    Rode The Burn, Koko, and Western Rim today out at RV. Burn was NOT ready for prime time--bikes got all ****balled up with mud three times. Koko and WR were great, as you'd expect. I'd give The Burn til Saturday, assuming a sunny Friday.

    Anyone been on Palisade Rim recently?

  6. #356
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,223
    OK folks, how bad is it?

    I know you got new snow over the weekend. The forecast is for daytime temps below freezing for yinz 5 days out. Salida's forecast is actually slightly warmer...

    How much white stuff?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  7. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    OK folks, how bad is it?

    I know you got new snow over the weekend. The forecast is for daytime temps below freezing for yinz 5 days out. Salida's forecast is actually slightly warmer...

    How much white stuff?
    trails are covered. you can fatbike the heck out of em though

  8. #358
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    trails are covered. you can fatbike the heck out of em though
    That's kind of what I was guessing. Probably 2013 is over for riding dirt in CO. [Sigh]

    I can ride a fatbike here. Got one I can borrow, should probably do that.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  9. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    That's kind of what I was guessing. Probably 2013 is over for riding dirt in CO. [Sigh]
    Not sure I agree... it's going to be mid 40's to 50 down here in the Front Range and we got minimal snow from that last "storm". If it's consistently sunny for the next 7-10 days, I bet we could be riding again by later next week.

  10. #360
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    trails are covered. you can fatbike the heck out of em though
    Another Monday, another "how's she lookin'?" post.

    Looks like the Grand Junkyard weather has been consistently colder than ours. Here in Salida we warmed up to daytime highs into the high 40's and 50's, and it's been melting down. That's the forecast for this week too.

    Looks like over there you're supposed to be no higher than the 30's again all week? Weird to have you guys 10-15 degrees colder than we are...

    So did anybody get out over the weekend? What would you expect for this coming weekend?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  11. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Another Monday, another "how's she lookin'?" post.

    Weird to have you guys 10-15 degrees colder than we are...
    that, my friend, is the wonders of the inversion. we need some winds to blow it away.

    trails are covered in snow still. they are packed down and people are riding regular nonfat bikes on em.

    we are supposed to warm up, which means melting, which means mud. you can still ride early morn and early evening when it freezes. mid day will be just warm enough to be muddy and crappy.

    hopefully gonna get some rain, which will wash the snow away, then we just need to dry out.

  12. #362
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    that, my friend, is the wonders of the inversion. we need some winds to blow it away.

    trails are covered in snow still. they are packed down and people are riding regular nonfat bikes on em.

    we are supposed to warm up, which means melting, which means mud. you can still ride early morn and early evening when it freezes. mid day will be just warm enough to be muddy and crappy.

    hopefully gonna get some rain, which will wash the snow away, then we just need to dry out.
    Looks like I'm going to be over there this weekend, gonna bring XC skis and road bike. I don't want to be on your mud and you don't want me to be on your mud. From what the weather service is saying, a bunch of melting isn't too likely over there in the next several days.

    Right now here in Salida we have the dirt->mud->ice->snirt->ice->mud->dirt thing on our trails. But most of our mud isn't clay. Over there a wet trail is a full-on nightmare.

    Thanks for confirming what I was thinking would be the case.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  13. #363
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,816
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Looks like I'm going to be over there this weekend, gonna bring XC skis and road bike.
    Even the roads suck right now. There is a lot of snow/ice/filth in/on the roads. I'm not braving them yet.....and the sub-freezing temperatures aren't helping my motivation either.

    This has been a sucky a$$ winter so far.....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  14. #364
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Even the roads suck right now. There is a lot of snow/ice/filth in/on the roads...
    So a bad bet to try to ride the Monument...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  15. #365
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,577
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    So a bad bet to try to ride the Monument...
    Good Nordic skiing on Grand Mesa.

  16. #366
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Good Nordic skiing on Grand Mesa.
    Totally. I used to go up there all the time when I lived in the Junkyard in the 80's. That'll be the plan.

    Imagine going over to the Grand Valley and not bringing a bike. Sacrilege.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  17. #367
    H2o-Bar
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    89
    Lunch Loop trails are still over 50% paced snow and ice. With the weather not warming up much the snow's been sticking around.

    Overall the trails are OK for morning riding when the trails are still frozen. But the seasonal clowns (bikers,runners,hikers and dogs) have been out in the afternoon tearing up the trails when it thaws out.

    Can't see much changing since we're looking at the same low-mid 30 temps for the next week.

  18. #368
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by H2o-Bar View Post
    Lunch Loop trails are still over 50% paced snow and ice. With the weather not warming up much the snow's been sticking around.

    Can't see much changing since we're looking at the same low-mid 30 temps for the next week.
    We checked out Gunnison a River Bluffs/Old Spanish Trail loop in Whtitewater yesterday morning and found pretty much the same out there except it is 90% snow covered. Didn't wanna chance tearing up LL so we went out there where there isn't any Bentonite. Although at 12 degrees I'm sure we'd have been safe! Guess the bike is gonna stay hung up for a while longer unless it's an early morning.

  19. #369
    2006 Yeti AS-X
    Reputation: Lawson Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    We checked out Gunnison a River Bluffs/Old Spanish Trail loop in Whtitewater yesterday morning and found pretty much the same out there except it is 90% snow covered. Didn't wanna chance tearing up LL so we went out there where there isn't any Bentonite. Although at 12 degrees I'm sure we'd have been safe! Guess the bike is gonna stay hung up for a while longer unless it's an early morning.
    Oh how do I remember bentonite....nasty stuff when it's wet and gets all gunked up in your bike's business....
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

  20. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    263
    I was riding north of the airport in GJ this past summer in the desert, and got into a steep gulley with wet bentonite at the bottom (dry up top, but a mess at the bottom). There was more mud than bike when I got finished.

  21. #371
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    Any updates for GJ/Fruita? Is it frozen and ok in the am? If so what time do you need to finish?

  22. #372
    H2o-Bar
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    89
    It's been getting in close to 40' in the afternoon. I haven't been out past noon and the trails have still been mostly frozen. The snow has been slow to melt but the weather being almost 40 for the next week it should help.

    Safe bet is to get out early before it turns sloppy.

  23. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    226
    Things that are sunny have been getting soupy by 10. Shady is ok till a bit later, but temps are warming this week. Earlier the better

  24. #374
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,046
    10AM has been safe the past few weeks, but it's getting warmer (and staying warmer later) now than then. At Lunch Loops the main wash, lower Pet-a-phile, Kurt's, lower Miramonte, and lower Clunker/Bucket are all sloppy by ~10:15. Essentially all of the lower exits from LL.

    So if you can't be off the trails by 10 sharp, head *up* to LPR and then descend pavement.

    The stuff that is melting out daily is taking a beating from people that are out there too late.

  25. #375
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    Off by 10 should be no problem. Thanks for the updates. Was thinking of hitting koko or 18rd, but might just hit LL since it's closer. Was so desperate I was considering a gravel road ride out at 18rd if nothing else!

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •