Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006
    Lunch Loop's are about 90% snow free. BUT as things warmed up today the grey/red/green mud was mostly unridable. I was on the trail before 9 and by 1000 things were melting/sloppy in some areas. Until the trails dry out a bit I'll be riding while they are still frozen.

I would have liked to ride longer but had to cut my ride short due to the muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by H2o-Bar View Post
    Lunch Loop's are about 90% snow free. BUT as things warmed up today the grey/red/green mud was mostly unridable. I was on the trail before 9 and by 1000 things were melting/sloppy in some areas. Until the trails dry out a bit I'll be riding while they are still frozen.

I would have liked to ride longer but had to cut my ride short due to the muddy conditions.
    I checked it out myself this morning (8:30 - 10:15am). Did Pet-e-Kes, High Noon, Miramonte Rim, Clunker, Holy Bucket, bottom of Holy Cross and Kurt's Lane. Trails were mostly still frozen and solid or else dry. The snow covered sections were all rideable with no bad ice. The ridge on Kurt's Lane was sloppy by 10am.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Lunch Loops

Lunch Loop's continue to dry out. And most excellent most every where before things Thaw.

Pre-Nup and the eastern parts of High noon are tore to piss (rut's almost the whole length of Pre-Nup). Get after it early and you'll have a blast.

Tigers love pepper...
    I was thinking LL was still probably no go due to all the shade (unless going early). Anybody been out to Loma or 18rd?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Some of the worst trail damage occurs in winter or spring. Tire tracks thru the middle of the trail will heal over, but the people that go around the mud puddle or icy spot in the middle create long-term trail widening. Or people that skid off the trail due to muddy or slick conditions make visible tire scars off of the trial that will be there the rest of the year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    With a bit of care one can avoid damage by riding while it is still frozen. Based on trail conditions last weekend, it looks like some have ridden after the thaw - there are some visible tire ruts in the middle of the trails. But none of that was too bad. I did notice much more "chop" in the trails due to foot traffic - boots and dog prints. Some sections were like 18rd in the spring after the cows have done their work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcollins View Post
    With a bit of care one can avoid damage by riding while it is still frozen. Based on trail conditions last weekend, it looks like some have ridden after the thaw
    I agree with you, but others don't because you can drive by the parking lot at any time of the day an there are vehicles there rain, snow, mud, dust or sunshine.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006
    Got out to Fruita yesterday. Rode the frontage road over to Steve's Loop. The section of 2 track from Macks Ridge to the Frontage rd is nasty. Looks like it will be a bit till that section dry's out.

Steve's/Mary's was in pretty good shape (95% dry-ish). Got into Horse-thief Bench. Got about .6 in then got into super muddy conditions (same spot that had lot's of snow last week). I'm sure you could get it before it thaw's but for now it looks like it will need to dry out a bunch more.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by H2o-Bar View Post
    Got out to Fruita yesterday. Rode the frontage road over to Steve's Loop. The section of 2 track from Macks Ridge to the Frontage rd is nasty. Looks like it will be a bit till that section dry's out.

Steve's/Mary's was in pretty good shape (95% dry-ish). Got into Horse-thief Bench. Got about .6 in then got into super muddy conditions (same spot that had lot's of snow last week). I'm sure you could get it before it thaw's but for now it looks like it will need to dry out a bunch more.
    Pretty much agree with above. Went out this AM and did a full loop of Mary's (clockwise) we hit the Mack Ridge area at 9:10 and it was just in time. Steve's to Mack ridge on Mary's is full of snow, ice, and mud. We just made it before it thawed enough to leave tracks. I would suggest that if you plan to try it, BE OFF TRAIL by 9am. Mary's all the way to the gate is probably fine out and back, only a couple puddles that could easily be avoided without going off trail. Would be real hesitant to try anything with shaded or north facing sections unless it was completely frozen. There is a north facing section just before Steve's (going clockwise) that is tore up pretty bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What about Rustlers? I need to start logging some miles during lunch hour.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Rustlers is still not good. the sweet downhill singletrack is rutted from people trying to ride it while it's muddy. it's in the shade, still not dry. moments ago as i type this, (4:51 pm, sunday) just talked to some guy (not from around these parts) who said prime cut is muddy. no f^&*ing s%^t.

we all love riding and want to ride. it's not like we are trying to keep all the riding to ourselves. seriously, let the trails dry out so they aren't all jacked up when it actually *IS* riding season.

here is a pic from 7 Feb of rustlers. it's not much better now.
    Rustlers and Mary's Loop Trail Conditions | Facebook

Tigers love pepper...
    Agree with snark. I don't think there is any viable "lunchtime" riding. Mary's out and back to the gate possibly but it was all frozen when I rode it this am so I can't say if parts would be too soft during mid day. It looked ok though. We're just all gonna have to stay patient. This was my first ride in like two months and if it wasn't still frozen around Steve's it would have been bad!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Maybe I'll just try 'riding' some GJ N desert doubletrack this week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This Saturday conditions at the lower ends of Lunch Loops were great - before 9am, at which stage there were perhaps 5 cars in the parking lot. Trails such as High Noon and Holy Bucket still had significant stretches which were moist, but still frozen early. Once it thaws these will be a sloppy mess as the new ruts show.

On Sunday afternoon, I took my son to the LL bike park, which is fine. The parking lot was half full! Droves of people were out. Perhaps some trails were dry, but it's hard to imagine completing much of a loop without plowing through some slop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok, I have a good alternative trail option for all. I rode Spanish Trail / Gunnison Bluffs yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. The trail conditions weren't the greatest, but mainly because of extensive horse traffic. The desert or north end of the loop was soft and bumpy but tolerable and not muddy. There was only one shaded wash crossing which was muddy so aside from that area there was no trail damage to be had. The river or south end of the loop was solid and fine. I am also eager to ride better trails too but patience, restraint and some good judgement by people will help improve future rides. Please post open alternative trail suggestions / alternatives on here. Maybe that will help keep pressure off of the trails not yet ready to ride.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by grandjunktion; 02-18-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Singletrack Slacker
    Amasa Back and slickrock are both snow free and riding great. I hit up Moab this last weekend, saw at least 10 other people from the valley. Please stay off the valley trails, make the 1.5 hr drive to Moab. We have a lot of maintenance to do on our trails this year, if you'd like to help the calendar should be up on the COPMOBA website soon.
    I need to ride moooore

Tigers love pepper...
    Any updates around gj/fruita? Was hoping to get out to 18rd if conditions have improved dramatically.

Singletrack Slacker
    18rd is not ready yet. With the 50s forecast for the next week or so it might be good by next weekend. We are going out to walk the trails later next week to plan for some maintenance and finish the new trail. I'll give you a true report sometime next week. Marys is good as an out and back to the end of the singletrack.
    I need to ride moooore

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks Heckled. Might do Mary's or hit the LL early. Might even get a wild hair and head over to Moab if Klondike or Sovereign are ready. Time to check the UT forum!

Singletrack Slacker
    we hit Amasa two weeks ago and EKG last weekend. they were both good to go. I had a trail report for Sovereign as good to go from another guy here in fruita. Poison Spider has a fest with demos going on this weekend if you head down there.
    I need to ride moooore

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I rode at Tabegauche this morning (3/1) for the first time since mid-Dec. Parked at the Clunker TH and did Holey Bucket-Clunker-Ali-2xMiramonte Rim-Clunker. There a still a few damp spots that were frozen (not quite frozen, but firm enough to ride on). Overall, those trails were great.

It would probably be prudent to ride in the early morning thru this weekend while the ground is firm in the extreme shaded north facing sections. Plus I bet it will be tough to find a parking spot this weekend during the day if it hits 50 deg. Everyone and there dog will be there (possibles multiple dogs per person).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rode at LL yesterday (2/28) while it was still frozen. Did Miramonte Canyon, Ali-ali, Raven's Ridge, High Noon and Eagle' Tail. Those were mostly clear of snow and damp spots except for:

High noon - snow covering the trail at the NE end. Hard to say once it warms up.
    Eagle's - big snow patch amidst one of the boulder jumbles downhill from the Andy's intersection. This will probably be no-go once it thaws.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Thanks Heckled. Might do Mary's or hit the LL early. Might even get a wild hair and head over to Moab if Klondike or Sovereign are ready. Time to check the UT forum!
    I'd stay off Megasteps and avoid Jasper and Agate but other than that, it's pretty good. Amasa is indeed dry, dry, dry.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006
    Got out to Fruita today. I rode Marys to Wrangler/Wrangler Cut-Off. Then over to Horsethief. The Enrty/Dougway still has snow and ice and there was also about 20 yds of snow back on the "stairsteps". There was only one section of real mud and that was the last 100yds of the trail (going clockwise).

Overall the trail is in great shape and continues to dry out a bit more every day. Northern exposure's continue to hold snow/mud but as the days warm up they too will become rideable.

Tigers love pepper...
    Snuck out to LL today. Here's a report......

Pete-e-kes - great other than 2 shady spots within the last 100 yards or so. I got off and walked on the rocks.

High Noon - two wet/muddy spots, probably rideable but I got off again. Gonna be some ruts there when it fully dries.

Coyote Ridge/Raven Ridge/Ali Ali loop - 100% dry.

Miramonte Ridge - 98% dry. One or two wet spots on the north side. Rideable without any damage.

Curts - Fine

I saw riders over on Holy Bucket but I did not make it over there. I remember some bad spots late last spring on that so I didn't head over.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast