Fruita/GJ Conditions

Printable View

  • 08-14-2016
    zrm
    Everywhere?
  • 08-14-2016
    Steezus
    Yeah, it is becoming common that these traps are being set up on trails all across the country. I know the Front Range has seen a lot of this BS lately and I hoped GJ was far enough away and so established as a bikers paradise that it wouldn't become a problem here.
  • 08-15-2016
    davidcollins
    This has been discussed on the FB feeds: Colorado Western Slope Trail Conditions, COPMOBA - GVC, Colorado Backcountry Biker. If you can, look at those and the discussions that follow in them. Based on the comments on CBB, it looks like it is not a trap. It's pretty certain that the trail is not a marked trail - I don't recognize it as any part of any of the marked trails at 18rd. Furthermore it might actually be part of a grazing fence, although no-one from the BLM has yet commented on these posts to verify this.
  • 08-15-2016
    cobi
    Yup, sounds like folks off riding cow trails in the desert and then crying wolf when they run into something. I found it interesting that nobody initially wanted to cop to WHERE this supposed trap was and let everyone believe it was somewhere in the main 18rd trails for at least a few days. If you're gonna make a claim like this you better be ready to give details.

    From the thread.....

    >> Not a marked trail and its right next to a wellhead about 3miles west of the 18rd trailhead on cow trail

    >>>Well actually it's a electric fence that the BLM put up for grazing management purposes! See the unmarked trail you are riding your bike on is actually a cow trail. Ranchers pay money to use that government land to run their cattle on during the winter!!
  • 01-30-2017
    Streetdoctor
    bump. Anyone been to fruita recently? Heading to Moab this weekend. Temps in the 50s all week. Thinking of hitting Kokopelli on the way.
  • 01-30-2017
    Silentfoe
    Had a friend just drive from Grand Junction to St. George to get some riding in because he couldn't ride his home trails.
  • 01-30-2017
    Heckled
    I was out hanging trail signs last weekend and the only one I'd stay away from is 18rd. Rustlers and Mary's out at. Koko "should" be dry by the weekend. Horsethief may take a little longer on the back half. Please don't ride if it's not ready. Amasa and Ahab are riding sweet.
  • 01-31-2017
    Streetdoctor
    awesome thanks
  • 02-15-2017
    gideon
    Hi Folks,
    I'm staying in Vail and wonder if today/tmrw (good weather) would be a good day to check out GJ
    Need to learn more, but ideally want to shuttle The Ribbon trail
  • 02-15-2017
    roaringfork
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I'm staying in Vail and wonder if today/tmrw (good weather) would be a good day to check out GJ
    Need to learn more, but ideally want to shuttle The Ribbon trail

    These are all great resources for local trail conditions. I hear Lunch Loops and most of Kokopelli are GTG.


    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1087724064707558/

    https://www.facebook.com/copmoba/

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/207573639258566/

    Also call Over The Edge sports in Fruita for trail conditions.

    Enjoy!
  • 02-15-2017
    gideon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by roaringfork View Post
    These are all great resources for local trail conditions. I hear Lunch Loops and most of Kokopelli are GTG.


    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1087724064707558/

    https://www.facebook.com/copmoba/

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/207573639258566/

    Also call Over The Edge sports in Fruita for trail conditions.

    Enjoy!

    Thanks!
  • 02-15-2017
    cobi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I'm staying in Vail and wonder if today/tmrw (good weather) would be a good day to check out GJ
    Need to learn more, but ideally want to shuttle The Ribbon trail

    Can't imagine the ribbon is ready...... At least not the climb out to the road.

    Good links posted above. I've heard most all of koko is good. Part of Lunch Loops (Holy cross needs more time it sounds like). Haven't heard anything on gunny but haven't seen any tracks come up on Strava. Sounds like 18rd is drying out, but torn up by the cows.
  • 02-16-2017
    Lawson Raider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Can't imagine the ribbon is ready...... At least not the climb out to the road.

    Good links posted above. I've heard most all of koko is good. Part of Lunch Loops (Holy cross needs more time it sounds like). Haven't heard anything on gunny but haven't seen any tracks come up on Strava. Sounds like 18rd is drying out, but torn up by the cows.

    You really don't want to climb out of the Ribbon with wet bentonite - not only will it gunk up your bike but you will be slipping and sliding all the way up to the road - almost reminding of being in the movie Platoon - found this out in 2012 - the bike shop said Ribbon was good and it for most part it was but the climb out was still wet and it was a slugger.
  • 02-16-2017
    cobi
    Sounds like Holy Cross is good today at LL and there is speculation Gunny should be fine as well. Ribbon, still not sure. If you ride it, let us know!
  • 02-16-2017
    gideon
    rode mary's out and back, w horsethief today about 16 mi, mid 50
    's bluebird, my bottom is mildly sore, gotta toughen up those tender parts
  • 02-17-2017
    cobi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    rode mary's out and back, w horsethief today about 16 mi, mid 50
    's bluebird, my bottom is mildly sore, gotta toughen up those tender parts

    16 miles... I'm guessing you did Steve's Loop as well?

    I'm planning on riding Gunny loop about 2:30 today, from what I've seen on the sites above it should be good. Ribbon I still hesitate to guess on. Are you staying another day or headed back already?
  • 02-17-2017
    Steezus
    Curious about Gunny, really want to ride it in the next day or two if this current rain forecast doesn't hold up. Gunny seems to hold moisture so much longer than everything else.
  • 02-17-2017
    cobi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    Curious about Gunny, really want to ride it in the next day or two if this current rain forecast doesn't hold up. Gunny seems to hold moisture so much longer than everything else.

    It's good to go. I rode it this afternoon. Two very small wet spots at the bottom in the usual spots. Hopefully we don't get more rain.
  • 03-08-2017
    Steezus
    Boy, it is hard to tell if you are in a third world country or the Grand Valley today with how smokey it is outside. I've only seen third world countries allow people to burn fields and garbage to their heart's content, and of course the Grand Valley.

    It's just too bad that the majority of the year is smoke filled during most years since they can burn all they want intentionally in the springtime, then unnatural fires take over for summer and fall.