Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fruita/GJ Conditions

164K views 647 replies 173 participants last post by  #mtnbykr 
#1 ·
Hi there from the front range,

Wondering about the conditions there right now. Snow on the ground? Thanks.

#310 ·
2 separate thermometers with us on the rocks up near the top of Zippety said 76,77...whatever, it was well warm enough for me to take an outdoor shower, which I did after my ride back in camp. Temp dropped to 40 and colder Fri as we were leaving, storm clouds over the La Sal's pushed us back east into the mtns..for some great powder skiing Sat and Sun.

#313 ·
Horsethief was awesome last night.... Only hours after rain/hail. Barely a puddle to be found.

It's supposed to be cold this weekend but doubt we'll see any moisture (20% chance sat, 10% Sunday).

I'm planning to ride......... But I don't have a 3hr drive first, so easy for me to say.

#318 ·
Crested Butte woke to 8" of wet fresh today so our spring has been pushed back a few weeks.
I'm supposed to head towards GJ this Tues/Wed... A recent report of 18 and Loma would be great.
Did you guys get any precip from this recent cycle?
Any tires on the dirt reports from today (Sunday)?

#322 ·
Dear MikeSee.... I suppose it's time you change your name to Mike Sigh? As in.... "Oh am I ever old and slow... (sigh)".

Actually as I type that I remember watching you pedal that over sized squishy crap wagon up and over the most insane terrain I've seen a guy go up. Jeez.....

As I pushed my moutain bike... that you called a "cross bike"..... Chump.

LuLu and I will be there Tues eve, camp where evs and then ride 18 road Wed so that she can feel like a mtn biker again. Then don't know what on Thur but do know she's averse to Loma.... (don't ask) but we might bring skinny tires for the Moneument loop.

Will be in touch for some China Dragon(ass).

-John Chicken Bones.

#325 ·
Current Condition?

Driving up from Cortez in the morning and hoping to ride Loma area and 18 rd through the weekend. Looking to get current conditions and if it would be smarter to try Loma on Friday afternoon and wait for the 18 rd on Saturday depending on how much moisture you received this week? In Cortez we did not receive enough moisture to even settle the dust on Phil's!

#327 ·
I'd believe that for 18rd, Rabbit Valley, and the riverside stuff at Loma.

I don't think it's true *at all* for the north facing stuff at Loma, nor for Lunch Loops. Still a few inches of wet, sloppy snow on both, right now, despite +40* temps today.

I'd think it'll be Saturday night or Sunday AM at the earliest for that stuff.

Please don't rut out our trails--we live here and ride them all summer...

#332 ·
despite all the naysayers on here, fruit mountain biking on facebook seems to thing that conditions are prime:

"Don't get your panties in a wad" the weather may suck where you are, but Fruita is awesome! Kokopelli, 18Rd, and Rabbit Valley are all in the best shape possible after the moisture of a few days ago. Looks like Lunch Loops should be dry in a few hours. Now get on your bikes and quit calling us in a panic about the weather!!! Go pedal damn it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.