Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    It's been hit and miss the last few weeks. We haven't lost too many full days of riding, but the options have been limited some days to only Kokopelli or Rabbit Valley. If you're already locked into coming out, I'd say just hope for the best and be prepared to settle for riding something other than Palisade Rim if it doesn't dry out. Otherwise keep an eye on the weather and maybe call Rapid Creek Cycles @ (970) 464-9266 before you hit the road and get their expert prediction.
    Thanks for this info. I was debating on going out to ride Fruita tomorrow and Thursday since the weather looks good for those two days. I called the shop and they said it rained hard today and it probably won't be good until tomorrow afternoon assuming it's sunny most the morning. He suggested going to Rabbit Valley or the Kokopelli loops tomorrow to give Road 18 some time to dry out. I'm going to think it over and maybe hit the road for some Fruita action!

The weather sucks in Co Springs all week so I'd love to get out and hit some trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's been hit and miss the last few weeks. We haven't lost too many full days of riding, but the options have been limited some days to only Kokopelli or Rabbit Valley. If you're already locked into coming out, I'd say just hope for the best and be prepared to settle for riding something other than Palisade Rim if it doesn't dry out. Otherwise keep an eye on the weather and maybe call Rapid Creek Cycles @ (970) 464-9266 before you hit the road and get their expert prediction.
    Palisades is just a layover on our way to Moab. Gonna spend the night at the nearby campground before heading to Moab Saturday morning. If Palisades is not rideable, might go do Horsethief instead.

Tigers love pepper...
    Raining pretty damn hard in GJ right now. We might get a good soaking on this one. Not our typical little sprinkle. I'm thinking riding tomorrow is very sketchy at best Thrasher.

Shread Ready
    Raining pretty damn hard in GJ right now. We might get a good soaking on this one. Not our typical little sprinkle. I'm thinking riding tomorrow is very sketchy at best Thrasher.
    Thanks for that info. I wasn't planning on hitting Lunch Loops. I'm probably going to ride over @ the Rabbit Valley area since I was told that dries the quickest since it's sandy. I'm basing the conditions off weather.com hourly report which shows no rain in Fruita right now and no rain expected with sun tomorrow. So, it should be good2go hopefully by tomorrow early afternoon @ Rabbit Valley. Or at least I would think so. Appreciate any updates.

Tigers love pepper...
    Bright blue skies this AM. Ground is pretty wet still in GJ though. If it doesn't rain anymore today I'm sure Koko and RV will probably be OK. Only showing 3% chance today so I'd guess if we stay sunny things will dry quick.

Shread Ready
    Bright blue skies this AM. Ground is pretty wet still in GJ though. If it doesn't rain anymore today I'm sure Koko and RV will probably be OK. Only showing 3% chance today so I'd guess if we stay sunny things will dry quick.
    Yeah, Drab/Grey Colorado Spring skies or Blue Fruita Skies... Hmmm

mtbr member
    Can I get a witness?!?

Dumping here on the front range and heading to GJ this weekend. You guys getting the rain too? Really hoping to hit 18 Rd.

Thanks
    in the ghetto of Evergreen

Tigers love pepper...
    We've gotten some rain the last few days. Only saw a few riders pop up on Strava yesterday but sounds like things were OK. Got a little rain again last night I think (my patio was wet this am) but it's sunny so far today so I expect things to dry out if needed. I might try to ride tonight.

Looks like thur/fri have a 30-40% chance of rain, Saturday looks great, mid 60's & 0% chance of rain.

I'd say you're looking good. Just keep an eye out Thur/Fri.

Tigers love pepper...
    Record rain in GJ yesterday (.88"). Sun is finally out. Should get some dry time the rest of today. 0 rides showing up so far on Strava today at Koko or 18rd (thankfully... people are hopefully respecting the conditions). I checked Mary's and Prime Cut segments.

Parts of Koko may be ready this afternoon.... but 18rd and Lunch Loops I can't imagine will be good until tomorrow sometime. Supposed to be really nice this weekend, probably awesome conditions once it dries a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    AAAAAAND it's all wet again. as of monday, 26 oct, everything is wet. no riding today, koko and rabbit valley probably tomorrow.

Tigers love pepper...
    But it was fantastic Saturday! Was gonna ride again yesterday but had too much to do, figured "I'll just get a quick one in Monday after work instead". Oops.

mtbr member
    Skipped riding for a muddy hike in the Monument on Friday. Saturday Koko was in great shape. Sunday Lunch Loops were tasty!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Tuesday, 27 oct, it's all hero rock star dirt out there. go get it.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Lunch loops were prime yesterday and 18 road is on point today

I'm sure this isn't news for anyone in the valley but it's all g2g

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How are the Fruita conditions right now? I may be passing through Monday and would love to ride -- haven't been there since 2009 and loved it all back then. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not the best right now. You can ride early in the morning, while it is frozen.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndude23 View Post
    Not the best right now. You can ride early in the morning, while it is frozen.
    And you'll be mostly riding on Snow.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    And you'll be mostly riding on Snow.
    Which is where the traction is. When you aren't on snow you're on ice, or rock. And when on either of those keep in mind that your hard rubber tires are coated in snow...

Lunch Loops have been fun this week on a fatbike. Or if not fun, at least better than sitting around and getting fatter.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Or if not fun, at least better than sitting around and getting fatter.
    Better maybe, but not moar funner. Were you skiing or biking yesterday on the mesa?

I tried XC skiing, it was fun.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Better maybe, but not moar funner. Were you skiing or biking yesterday on the mesa?

I tried XC skiing, it was fun.
    One of my all-time best rides on the Mesa yesterday. For many reasons: Cold temps, snow quality, capability of the new bike, company, late afternoon alpenglow, empty trails, etc...

Skier, eh? Did you wake up this morning screaming to no one in particular, "Get off my lawn!"??

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rode lunch loops on Monday on a fatbike and had a blast. Couple small muddy spots but mostly great snow conditions.

Might be back in town Saturday morning -- would appreciate any recommendations on what's likely to be rideable and fun on a fatbike. Thanks!

p.s. kuddos to the great folks at Bicycle Outfitters for good advice and service and attitude.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Any thought on trail conditions for mid February?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrano View Post
    Any thought on trail conditions for mid February?
    Likely muddy.

Still a lot of snow.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Update to for all early-season visitors, we're still BURIED under snow and the trails have been largely unrideable since mid-December. 3-5" inches of snow accumulation this week alone.

So, by my guess, we're looking at a best possible case of riding *some* trails by late February.

Trails typically dry out in this order:

Rustlers
    • Horsethief
    • Add'tl South-facing Kokopelli trails
    • ...the rest are a crap-shoot. Rabbit Valley is a wildcard in that it's far enough away that it can either have more or less snow the main three systems, it depends on weather patterns.
    • The Lunch Loops get very patchy as they dry out - stretches of hero dirt mixed with God-awful clay goop

18rd looks to be off-limits for quite awhile. I rode up there last weekend and turned around before the last hill up to the TH, where it got too mucky. As mentioned, we've gotten additional snow since then.

It's all a far cry from conditions exactly one year ago:
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Do you think that even with the rising temps during this week it still will be unrideable?

Tigers love pepper...
    I think rising temps are going to make things worse not better for a while. Turning snow into mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by championp View Post
    Do you think that even with the rising temps during this week it still will be unrideable?
    Absolutely!!!

I visited Rustler today, looks dry as you drive in. The BLM had a sign at the Rustler entrance gate "Please don't ride . . ." There was snow within 10 feet of the gate. All north facing slopes have snow. Moore Fun was snow free but major mud right at the parking spot.

Decided to ride the connecting road Loma-to-Mack, looks dry . . . see pics.

Fruita/GJ Conditions-p1000364_cr.jpg
    Rode less than 1/2-mile up the road. The red mud on the truck is from Arches so Moab may not be a better option.

Fruita/GJ Conditions-p1000366.jpg
    Had to do the car wash to get this off my ghetto bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Anything dry and rideable in Fruita area? Thinking about running down for some loops this weekend, horse thief?! Don't worry, i won't ride muddy trails!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I spoke to someone at OTE last week and they said Rustlers and Horsethief would be rideable by yesterday. I'd call before you ride. 970-858-7220

roaringfork

Tigers love pepper...
    Should be fine by this weekend. We got some additional rain last night, so I'm waiting to hear updates.

I rode Mary's & Horsethief Sunday and then continued out to Steve's (Pizza point). Mary's was fine (two small wet spots past the gate approaching Steve's). 2nd half of Horsethief needed a few more days in my opinion (I am apparently in the minority on this opinion). Again, should be fine by this weekend.

I heard Rustlers was OK.

According to Facebook (Fruita Montain Biking):
    More rain last night. This is a good thing. We checked the north desert (18rd/Bookcliffs) yesterday and major melting has indeed occurred....BUT it would be a terrible idea to try to ride out there yet. Every north slope is bentonite peanut butter!
    Rode Lunch Loops yesterday morning very early before it thawed out. Many many many people are riding there when they shouldn't. (And lets not even start on the hikers and the runners! ) Bikes and feet have wrecked the new trail recently built on the Three Sisters land. I expect trail builders will have to go back in and fix a lot of the trail surface. It was ridden before it was ready, and everyone has slid off the edge. ‪#‎wehavemettheenemyandtheenemyisus‬
    Plan on a nice weekend of riding on the Kokopelli Loops. The higher trails like Moore Fun and Mack Ridge will likely have some soft spots and snow left. Please use your head, don't make go arounds please!
    Checking Rabbit Valley this afternoon, we'll let ya know how it is out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Got a chance to hike Kokopelli from the far east end of the Rabbit Valley road, down to Salt Creek and up to Troy Built. Dry all the way except a little standing water at the RR tracks.

Evidence of one rider descending the trail in the last week.

Fruita/GJ Conditions-p1000594.jpg
    The upper part of trail pocked marked by the heifers for 1/2-mile. You can see the trail as a faint ribbon inline with the river.

Fruita/GJ Conditions-p1000598.jpg
    From the pedestrian bridge over Salt Creek.

Whoever laid out the trail deserves a big FAIL. The middle section has a constant steep pitch with no runoff management. The trail has eroded up to 2-feet leaving behind 6" boulders. Modern trail building technique has slight rises every 100-feet to divert runoff. This part just goes and goes getting more and more eroded. Surprised the BLM wasn't on top of the layout prior to construction.

Tigers love pepper...
    The trail was completed in the mid 90's if memory serves me, a lot has changed in trail building in that time. I think a lot of that salt creek area was likely existing cow trail that got re-purposed? Probably easier to link up existing stuff like that and come back later to address problems than to build it all new in the beginning. I know they've done work on the Troy's section connecting from Lions and from troy's down to the river in the last few years to fix some issues.

Then the problem is, do you spend your efforts re-routing a trail that has maybe a couple hundred users per year or focus your resources on trail systems that have thousands of users?

PS - I agree that section has some major issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I rode Rustler's, Mary's, Horsethief, then Mary's out to the Lion's Loop parking on Saturday. Trail was 99% dry, only muddy section was the hike a bike in the middle of Horsethief that is shaded by the ledges. A few sections were tacky.

roaringfork

mtbr member
    How's 18 Rd?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by indianhillsted View Post
    How's 18 Rd?

Thanks!
    just rode it today. go get it!

mtbr member
    It was so good! Thanks Fruita!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Headed out this way in a month. I haven't ridden fruita in nearly 20 years, any recommendations on good rides if I only have 2 days?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'd do one day at the Kokopelli Loops and one day at 18 Rd. What level of difficulty are you aiming for an I can make some trail recommendations. If you are not already using it (and you have a smartphone), download mtbproject.com as both areas are very well mapped and there are great ride suggestions.

roaringfork

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringfork View Post
    I'd do one day at the Kokopelli Loops and one day at 18 Rd. What level of difficulty are you aiming for an I can make some trail recommendations. If you are not already using it (and you have a smartphone), download mtbproject.com as both areas are very well mapped and there are great ride suggestions.

roaringfork
    Thanks man! I've been riding a long time and I like long rides and can handle really technical riding but I'm going with a mixed group in terms of fitness and skill. I actually haven't ridden with any of them before but I know they range from novice to pretty advanced. Thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Thanks man! I've been riding a long time and I like long rides and can handle really technical riding but I'm going with a mixed group in terms of fitness and skill. I actually haven't ridden with any of them before but I know they range from novice to pretty advanced. Thanks for the tips!
    Hey Max... if you have time, I HIGHLY recommend riding the Lunch Loops at some point. Specifically a ride that includes Gunny Loop. The more I ride out there, the more I absolutely love that area. To me, it's right up there with the Kokopelli Loops in terms of fun riding.

18 Road and the Kokopelli/Loma Loops are obviously the big-name areas around Fruita, and deservedly so. You'll have a blast out there regardless of what you ride.

I rode a 12-mile loop yesterday including Ped-e-Kes, Gunny Loop, Holey Bucket, Holy Cross and Coyote Ridge and it was one of the most fun rides I've done, anywhere. Such an amazing mix of trail with smooth, fast sections mixed with challenging and fun technical areas. Major props to COPMOBA for what they've done in GJ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thx for the tip Steve, I'm getting really stoked!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What about camping? Ideally somewhere not too primitive but not a KOA. I'd personally go as minimalist as possible but we have some girls in the group. Thanks again guys!

mtbr member
    I really enjoy camping right there at the 18 rd trail head. There's a lot of good campsites and it is really pretty up there during sunrise and sunset.

n00b eternal
    How are the trails looking? Planning on ducking out of work for a long weekend, coming from Denver. I see rain in the forecast for Fruita, but what does that usually mean? Unrideable mud or quick drying? Other Western Slope options I might be unaware of? My buddy and I race endurance XC so the length of a trail is not an issue (nor is technicality, despite what some folks like to believe).

mtbr member
    We haven't got a lot of rain in the last week. Only 2 days did we get some moisture, but it has been dry the last few days and it's supposed to get into the 70's for the next few days. I'll be out riding 18rd tomorrow. I'll post back here if they are a wet mess, but I highly doubt they are. I live on 18 1/2 rd and the dirt in the yard is totally dry.

Tigers love pepper...
    All trails except Sarlacc (& Edge Loop) are good to go.

If it does rain, Koko loops should still be OK.... we rode out there Thursday night after the rain and it was already fine except for a few puddles on Horsethief Bench. Rabbit Valley (Western Rim, Zion Curtain) dries out fast as well. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on the forecast.

n00b eternal
    Excellent! We're leaving Denver on Thursday afternoon, crashing in Palisade (and visiting our friends at Peach Street). Should be rolling bright and early on Friday. Any recommendations on campsites? I know there are some off of 18. I've ridden the Tour of the Moon route and such on road bikes, but am not super familiar with Fruita's accommodations.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by ezweave View Post
    Excellent! We're leaving Denver on Thursday afternoon, crashing in Palisade (and visiting our friends at Peach Street). Should be rolling bright and early on Friday. Any recommendations on campsites? I know there are some off of 18. I've ridden the Tour of the Moon route and such on road bikes, but am not super familiar with Fruita's accommodations.
    Check Item #6 in the first post in this thread.
    Are you looking for trail suggestions?

Keep in mind none of the high country camping is open yet (Glade Park, Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre)

mtbr member
    How is the riding at Hartmans? Heading down this weekend....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin....Yeti 4.5...SIR9 SS...

mtbr member
    Anyone have info about the wire someone strung up on one of the 18 Rd trails? I heard a guy hit it, but was okay. Not sure which trail it was on. Pretty ****ty this is happening everywhere now.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast