Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    I rode Rim Trail in Rabbit Valley on Saturday. Bad move. Way too many MX riders out there. Just got super annoying.
    Yeah, the Western Rim and the 3&4 areas at Rabbit Valley can get quite a few MX riders around and they are annoying. If you go to the other parts of the area more in the Utah side of Rabbit Valley there seems to be less riders. Westwater Mesa Trail has some pretty techy sections that you would have to be an excellent MX rider to attempt with the possiblity of getting your bike stuck way out there, mountain bikers can just pick their bikes up and walk over the stuff...so you don't see too many MX riders out there. Be sure to bring a map.

mtbr member

Grand Mesa conditions

Any info on conditions on the Grand Mesa? Pretty hot today at 18 road thinking of doing a ride up on the Mesa Wednesday. Thanks!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012

Probably sloppy

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    Any info on conditions on the Grand Mesa? Pretty hot today at 18 road thinking of doing a ride up on the Mesa Wednesday. Thanks!
    After past experience going up to the Mesa in spring it has always been snow and mud. It's hard to realize it when the valley is scorching and you look up there and it looks fine but when you get up there it's pretty nasty until mid-end of June usually. But the mud and remaining snow have nothing on the mosquitoes, those things up there will eat you alive until mid July. A rule of thumb that seems to work out ok seems to be if you can see just a tiny piece of white snow on the Mesa from the valley, just a spec, the woods up there are still going to be full of snow. I haven't been up there this year but if you go let us know how the conditions are.

mtbr member
    In Utah we have created a "Trail Conditions" map, which allows local shops and trail building organizations the ability to set trail conditions (muddy, dry, snow, etc.) which are shown in real-time on a Google Map. We have recently added the Fruita trails and the Grand Junction Lunch Loops.

The Skid Map

If any shops or groups would like to take ownership of a trailsystem and provide updates, email us at "info@skidmap.com". We would need a shop logo and information so that we can give credit and put your location on the map as well. Cheers.

Tigers love pepper...
    Anyone done Western Rim lately? How sandy is Trail #2 and the road? Bad enough to skip and just drive in further?

Edit: Rode it today. Definitely some sandy spots that required a quick walk or grunting through. But overall it was fine. Parking at McDonald would have cut out a few sandy spots but bombing back on Trail #2 is enough fun that it's almost worth the sand.
    Last edited by cobi; 05-28-2012 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thinking of a road trip out to Fruita/GJ in the next week or so - not very familiar w/ December conditions there other than checking out the weather reports. Can anyone shed some light on how the trails are riding right now?

Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    as of 11 December 12, trails are dry and ride able. all of them. if you facebook, fruita trail conditions are updated here Over The Edge Sports - Fruita, CO - Men's Clothing Store, Women's Clothing Store | Facebook

and here Fruita Mountain Biking - Fruita, CO - Sports Venue/Stadium | Facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    perfect! thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know that the trail conditions are going to be in flux over the next week or so with melting snow, but has anyone ridden recently (Dec 20th)?

I'd like to ride over the long weekend, so even a snow-packed Rustler's Loop would do.

Team Velveeta™

congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    I know that the trail conditions are going to be in flux over the next week or so with melting snow, but has anyone ridden recently (Dec 20th)?

I'd like to ride over the long weekend, so even a snow-packed Rustler's Loop would do.
    Good deal for the Grand Valley that you've finally gotten some moisture. I was watching the CDOT cams yesterday, and it looked like a fair amount.

I'm going to be watching for next weekend. So keep us posted about how things are looking, OK?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Good deal for the Grand Valley that you've finally gotten some moisture. I was watching the CDOT cams yesterday, and it looked like a fair amount.

I'm going to be watching for next weekend. So keep us posted about how things are looking, OK?
    Ayup, we got some of what we needed. More coming--hallelujah.

As far as trails right now, it's a mixed bag. Despite the fact that
    temps have been constantly below freezing (21* for a high today, 3* right now) since the snow, south facing stuff like Rustler's/H'thief/Mary's are getting enough solar gain during the day to goopify. Not bad yet, but only going to get worse.

North facing stuff like Lunch Loops is better, especially the higher you get. Closer to the parking lot (flatter, less shadowy) is softening up too. Expect it to get ugly as things warm up this week.

You'd think Moore/Mack would be good because of their exposure, but last I saw no one had broken those trails yet. Freshies, anyone?

Could be a good time to enjoy the sand in RV or WW.

Meanwhile, West Bench and Mesa Lakes trails are riding great with fat tires on the Mesa. May poke around up top the next few days as more slednecks get up to pack the normal loops and connectors.

MC

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Mary's/Horse-thief Bench

Just went for a hike yesterday out Mary's to Horse-Thief. With the temp's not getting into the 40's we'll be waiting a while to get back on the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fruita/GJ Conditions-img_0555.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    fat bike riding time. loma is slippery.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any updates on trail conditions out there? I know it's been cold and will remain so, but what are the conditions of Lunch Loops etc? Packed snow? Snow/dirt mix?

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Just got some new snow this morning

I've run a couple of the Lunch Loop trails the last 2 days.
    Yesterday there was a Dirt/Packed snow mix on the South facing trails. Everything else was packed snow.
    This morning theres an additional 3/4" of new snow out there.
    At least its warmed up a bit.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sounds a lot like Denver except you have actually had colder temps. Thx for the update.

Paste eater
    Next week looks warmer (for now) Hope to be riding mostly dirt again soon!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Any updates on Fruita conditions?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Any updates on Fruita conditions?
    Snow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    but it's packed down snow, and people are riding on regular, non fat bikes. for now. supposedly new snow is coming in, don't know if it will really happen or not.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode LL when I was out there last week. The main climb and High Noon and Pete E were pretty good/packed. No bike had ventured up past widow maker and Holy Cross was not packed well enough for an attempt unless you have a fat. The cold you all are having is something! I then drove back to Denver and rode almost all week last week in shorts on dry trails. That inversion is crazy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Snow.
    Worse! Right now constant cold rain. Trails are some combination of icy and muddy. The hard packed snow was good but this looks like a mess.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcollins View Post
    Worse! Right now constant cold rain. Trails are some combination of icy and muddy. The hard packed snow was good but this looks like a mess.
    On the bright side, it's melting the snow - at least down here in Moab. Got a little ways to go, but slowly making our way back to rock/dirt trails...

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006
    Great weekend for snow melt. I was out yesterday morning and 80-90% of the snow was off some of the lunch loop trails due to the rain we got this weekend. Can't say what will happen the rest of the week with the WX but yesterday was the 1st morning in a month or so without the trails being mostly packed snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone been riding on the trails in the last few days? I would imagine that it's muddy most of the day. How about in the mornings. AT what time does it start to thaw? Before then, are the trails icy or not?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast