Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    The weather has turned to rain/snow. Better keep a close eye on this thread if you were planning a GJ/Fruita ride this weekend.
    Oh well, Steamboat it is! Just one of the tough choices and sacrifices we have to make in the great state of CO!!!

Thanks for the update. I'll give it a couple more weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Saturday 2/25 Lunch Loops, Various - primo
    Sunday 2/26 18rd, Prime, Chutes, Kessel - primo (chutes is bumpier than pirate's sack due to cows though)
    Nice meeting ya out at Lunch Loops Saturday! I was with Matt from PUSH, was riding the black SC Butcher. Great day out there!

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007

March madness

What are some of the most XC'ish and flowy trails around Fruita / GJ? Looking for suggestions, would like to ride in March, weather, snow and mud permitting, along with some Moab.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    What are some of the most XC'ish and flowy trails around Fruita / GJ? Looking for suggestions, would like to ride in March, weather, snow and mud permitting, along with some Moab.
    18rd (North Fruita desert) is probably the flowiest XC stuff. Prime cut, Joes Ridge, Zippity are grat! But there is plenty of stuff to ride on the XC bike at the Lunch Loops in GJ and also at the Kokopelli trails in Loma.

Western Rim at Rabbit Valley is a good 19 mile trail that I highly recommend as well.

Check the "Are you looking for trail suggestions?" sticky for some links and maybe that will help narrow it down.

You can certainly ride our trails on about any bike, I ride 18rd on my rigid almost exclusively but have fun on my 6" bike as well. Lunch Loops and Loma I mostly ride the big bike but occasionally take the rigid to change it up.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anybody get a ride in this weekend, heading that direction this weekend and want to know if we needed to keep driving to Moab. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    rode kokepelli (or however its spelled) today. some spots of mud but otherwise rode great. heard 18rd and lunch loops were muddy.

Tigers love pepper...
    I think we are supposed to be in the 50's most of the week. Everything probably has a good chance of drying out.

FWIW I rode Sovereign in Moab Sunday and I was great!

Jul 2009
    FWIW I rode Sovereign in Moab Sunday and I was great!
    How was the trail?

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by slope folk View Post
    How was the trail?
    Couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I have only ridden a few of the brand trails and 1/2 of slickrock trail (broke freehub) before. So this was my first time on Sov.

Think I'm gonna have to try and hit Moab maybe once every other month now. So nice to ride something new (and still was home by lunch)!!!

Edit: Haha, just caught my typo. But I WAS great......

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I have only ridden a few of the brand trails and 1/2 of slickrock trail (broke freehub) before. So this was my first time on Sov.

Think I'm gonna have to try and hit Moab maybe once every other month now. So nice to ride something new (and still was home by lunch)!!!

Edit: Haha, just caught my typo. But I WAS great......
    Next time you hit the brand trails make sure to ride the new sections Deadman's and the North Forty,which is brand new. Really liked the scenery on the North Forty.

I am off to Rabbit Valley and Fruita for the next couple of days. In all the times I've gone to Fruita, I've yet to do Rabbit Valley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    With the warm weather we've been having, I'm hanging up the skis this weekend. Looks like it probably rained, or maybe even snowed on the western slope yesterday and it might again today/tonight as well? (Powderhorn got 2")

Was thinking about making the trip out to GJ/Fruita this weekend. What areas/trails are likely to be dry/rideable by then?

While I'm at it, I'm coming from Boulder, and planning on camping somewhere. Any campgrounds in the area open this time of year? Ideally BLM or other land where I can just set up my tent w/o any restrictions/payments. Water, bathrooms and other facilities aren't necessary. If you don't want the location immortalized on the interwebz, send a PM, and I'll keep my mouth shut.

Also, anyone interested in getting out? I'm trying to rally the troops, but so far have yet to have rung up a single riding partner.

Thanks!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    With the warm weather we've been having, I'm hanging up the skis this weekend.
    Strong work! I hope more skiers follow suit.

zombie freerider
    I am off to Rabbit Valley and Fruita for the next couple of days. In all the times I've gone to Fruita, I've yet to do Rabbit Valley.
    I just hit up western rim again (it had been a while) and remembered that's a pretty fun trail. The way back has some fun sections to rally down. have fun!

I was wondring if any of the shuttle runers have started their services at the luch loops. I was looking at going Saturday... anyone know?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Headed out there on Monday... time to break in the El Guapo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Did the number 2 out to the Western Rim with the dog today, it was fantastic!

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by lostonbase View Post
    Did the number 2 out to the Western Rim with the dog today, it was fantastic!
    Did you do the rim as well or just out to it and back? Trying to plan a ride out there, got a few friend who haven't done that yet. I've only done it once.

PS - I definitely plan to check out more of the Brand Trails like north 40, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Did you do the rim as well or just out to it and back? Trying to plan a ride out there, got a few friend who haven't done that yet. I've only done it once.

PS - I definitely plan to check out more of the Brand Trails like north 40, etc.
    I only did part of the Rim, I got worried I wasn't going to have enough daylight so I only did about 5 miles on the Rim and turned back, I should of done the entire loop because I made it back to the car with plenty of time left, the dog had enough though.

Today it's back to 18 road, probably camp there tonight and hit the lunch loops on the way home Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looks like Little Park Road near the Gunniconnector, and higher, up towards the Ribbon is all on BLM land. I guess I'll just find dispersed camping along the road up there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Awesome conditions! What a day at 18 road. Camping out and watching the sun go down over Joe's Ridge.

Colorado
    Howdy - I'm going to assume that things are still prime-time in Fruita/GJT?? Probably even better now with the warmer temps.

Rabbit Valley look good?

How busy is the camping on 18rd this time of year?

Bite Me.
    yes to all of the above
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    Howdy - I'm going to assume that things are still prime-time in Fruita/GJT?? Probably even better now with the warmer temps.

Rabbit Valley look good?

How busy is the camping on 18rd this time of year?
    It's busy. I usually get there on Thursday and by Friday I have a crowd sharing my camp fire. This Friday I had some cool guys from Durango and Professor from Boulder sharing my fire.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Westwater Mesa/ Overlook Trail out in the Rabbit Valley area is one of the best rides around in my opinion. It's around 20miles depending on your route choice. Usually only see maybe one or two other bikers the whole day and maybe one or two dirtbikers. Be prepared to be far away from your ride. The trail is sick though, lots of smooth fast sections along the overlook trail, then when you get to Westwater Mesa it's like 12 miles of Holy Cross type stuff with big rocks you ride up, all rideable pretty much. The best part is no one knows about the trail or they don't bother to go out there. Great views also.

Colorado
    I rode Rim Trail in Rabbit Valley on Saturday. Bad move. Way too many MX riders out there. Just got super annoying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    I rode Rim Trail in Rabbit Valley on Saturday. Bad move. Way too many MX riders out there. Just got super annoying.
    Moto is a weekend sport, so try to hit RV, Bangs or the airport desert during the week days.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast