mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Fruita- Flight of Icarus

Can't seem to find updated information about this ride... some sites& posts indicate that it is closed but those posts are old... heading out to Fruita in a week & excited to try this. Anyone have any more up to date info? Thanks in advance.

http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/fruita/icarus.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    it's closed to bikes for hunting season. stay off it.

officially...."portions of this trail are closed to mountain bikers." this sign covers BLM. it's technically not a legal trail. there seems to be an unwritten agreement between cyclists and hunters.... we don't ride during hunting season and mess up their hunt, they don't shoot us or complain. it's in the fruita fat tire guide, blue cover edition. you can stop by ote and get more info

mtbr member
    BUMP---Anyone know if this is open, rideable, lost, or What??

Tigers love pepper...
    I'm certainly no expert on it (never ridden it), but these threads pop up every once in a while. My understanding is that it is "closed" and I haven't ever heard anything about it being "re-opened" by the BLM or what it would take if it was even possible. To acces it, you'll ride right past a sign that says: ATTENTION BICYCLISTS, PORTIONS OF THE ICARUS TRAIL ARE CLOSED. THERE IS NO THROUGH ROUTE

If you choose to ride it anyway and run into a ranger or land owner, expect to have some explaining to do.

There is much debate of whether it was ever really "open" in the first place, which is probably why there was no public comment or discussions when it was posted as closed. Apparently it links existing trails but crosses some private land which is prime hunting/outfitting, so fall is surely the WORST time someone could attempt it.

I'm fairly confident it still gets ridden occasionally, but it's probably on the DL (and outside of hunting season..... don't want to get shot or piss off land owner)! Long story short, it's officially closed per the BLM and I'm told it is pretty hard to follow, overgrown, rutted and extremely loose in places.

More info:
    Icarus open? Yes or No?
    Beyond the Zion Curtain: Bike trails sneak past regulations | ACTIVE
    What is up with Flight of Icarus????????
    Last edited by cobi; 10-19-2015 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    deleted

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It's closed for hunting season. it won't be open again until next year.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    "There was no public process to close it". Well, there wasn't any public process when a few people decided to "open" it either.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Ok thanks
    FWIW, you aren't missing much. I rode it once in the early '00's when it first came to life, then went back a few years later to see if it was as bad as I remembered. Haven't been back since, despite many invitations.

mtbr member
    Hunting season was over yesterday. I think the weather has closed the door on this year however.