mtbr member

Fruita & Durango winter riding?

My brother lives in Denver and is expecting his first child in early Jan so I'm planning visit and was hoping to get some riding in too. I've read a lot about awesome Fruita and & Durango are, so I was wondering how rideable they are in Jan/Feb?
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Fruita, absolutely. The area gets very little snow, so a majority of the winter is OK to ride as long as you're OK with cold temps and wind.

Durango might be a little different, but I'm not positive as I haven't been down there that time of year. I'll let someone else speak up about that area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Early January can be iffy. Fruita might be OK, but if a storm comes through the day before your trip you can be SOL. Could be limited to Rabbit Valley.

Durango is probably similar. I live between the two so I'm not an expert on either place, but I think the Durango riders end up at Sand Canyon outside Cortez at that time of years. Its about the best I've found in the area for late season riding, and Jan and Feb are as late as it gets (or is it early the next season).

By the way, Durango is a good 6-7 hour drive from Denver. You might want to check on the front range forums if you haven't already. I think I heard Pueblo has great winter riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Very little chance of riding dirt singletrack in Durango during Jan/Feb. You can probably still ride some trails on a fatbike in the snow if you go early in the morning while things are still frozen. Every year is different but we should be blanketed with a pretty healthy dose of snow during those months.

Airborne Flight Crew
    You don't want to do the drive to Durango in January/February to ride. Depending on weather, it could be buried in snow, or just uncomfortably muddy. 2-3 feet of snow could drop at any time. Either way, you wouldn't be riding in town. Sand Canyon, Alien, Farmington and sometimes Barker Dome provide winter alternatives. They are usually first to dry out in the spring, but nothing one can count on.

Hardcore locals might get out on the fat bikes or just ride the xc ski trails, but nothing to drive 7 hours for.

January 25, 2010:

January 5, 2012: (this was hike a bike for a simple downhill-ish line, hopping over muddy/snow patches - no singletrack to ride)

Pueblo is probably the best bet. Or Albuquerque.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    here in fruita, it depends on the year, but we are usually riding in january and almost always in february. your chance of riding during that time is pretty darn good. plan on it. if you are in denver, you can always call Over the Edge, 970-858-7220, for trail info and conditions. if you facebook, they update trail conditions all the time during the wet/snowy months.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks!
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid