Tigers love pepper...

Free weekend.... Where should I go?

So the wife just told me she's wanting to take our daughter to see grandma and grandpa for a long weekend (july 26-29). Which means, single man weekend! Haven't had one of those in like 3 years.... Feeling the need to go ride somewhere I haven't been.

I'll need to work on Friday and Monday as well. But I'm thinking head out after work on Friday and don't come back till Sunday evening.

Needs to be within say 3hrs of GJ so i can realistically get off at 5, drive and setup by dark. Free or cheap camping preferred, just need a spot for a tent. Have a camp trailer but seems like overkill by myself.

Here's what first came to mind. Head to Gunnison and camp close to Hartman Rocks. Ride Hartman rocks all day Sat then pack up camp and head to CB. Ride CB Sunday and then drive home.

Or would it be better to just say hit CB Friday and ride as much as i can there sat/sun and leave Hartman for another time? While I like the idea of checking out two new areas, it would be nice to actually relax and not be setting up/tearing down camp as much.

Or I guess option 3 is. Head to CB Fri but stay overnight both nights and then just hit Hartman on my way home Sunday? Still hit both areas but no moving camp.

Or go somewhere else all together? Moab is too hot, Durango feels too far, already done a little riding at Telluride (Bike Park).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I would go to CB (two hours if you go through Kebler pass), camp for free, ride Doctor's Park in CB, get a pizza at secret stash, and come home.

Tigers love pepper...
    Kinda leaning towards CB both nights then if I want to hit Hartman it would be Sunday am or afternoon on the way home.

Anyone got better links to camping info than this?
    Crested Butte Camping Guide

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    FWIW, there are some spots to pull off and camp in Gothic, on the way to 401. If you haven't ridden 401, you should.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Call in Sickbird, and come up to the Tetons.
    Highs in the upper 70's, little bit of rain, tacky hero dirt.
    And about 600 miles of singletrack....
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Tigers love pepper...
    401 or Doctors Park is probably is looking like my goal for a Saturday ride.

Paste eater
    CB seems like the obvious answer. Another easy option might be some sort of Eagle/Vail/Breck/Keystone combo.

Tigers love pepper...
    Planning to head up to CB Friday night and ride 401 Saturday. Then maybe hit the lifts on the AM bike Sunday am since 401 will probably kick my ass.

Was thinking of heading up Gothic Rd to look for a free spot to camp. I assume it will be chilly.

Good plan? Anything I'm not thinking of?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Unless you're planning on adding 403 to 401 (making it a big ride), riding 401 by itself isn't going to take you that long... a couple of hours? If you do that in the morning, I'd recommend doing an Upper Trail- Strand Hill combo ride in the afternoon. Strand is a must-do every time I'm in town.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Planning to head up to CB Friday night and ride 401 Saturday. Then maybe hit the lifts on the AM bike Sunday am since 401 will probably kick my ass.

Was thinking of heading up Gothic Rd to look for a free spot to camp. I assume it will be chilly.

Good plan? Anything I'm not thinking of?
    Cobi, let me know how CB is - thinking of hitting it the first week of September while I am down there.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Unless you're planning on adding 403 to 401 (making it a big ride), riding 401 by itself isn't going to take you that long... a couple of hours? If you do that in the morning, I'd recommend doing an Upper Trail- Strand Hill combo ride in the afternoon. Strand is a must-do every time I'm in town.
    Thanks, was debating an afternoon ride but since I will be by myself I may just take the opportunity to explore around town, hit the Mtn bike museum, drink a few beers, etc....

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Telluride and get off the beaten path.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Telluride and get off the beaten path.
    Telluride isn't exactly "off the beaten path"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    Telluride isn't exactly "off the beaten path"
    Compared to CB the trails in Telluride are *way* off the beaten path.

IMO. YMMV.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Compared to CB the trails in Telluride are *way* off the beaten path.

IMO. YMMV.

+1 to that. Real easy to get lost there if you go anywhere away from the the resort. Bring your lungs and climbing legs. Wowzers.

Tigers love pepper...
    401 was great, thanks all. Unfortunately got rained out today. May hit a ride in GJ tonight to make up.

So, is the Snodgrass trailhead at the end of the pavement the top of the trail system, or the bottom? Looked like some trails down through the grass behind the stables.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    401 was great, thanks all. Unfortunately got rained out today. May hit a ride in GJ tonight to make up.

So, is the Snodgrass trailhead at the end of the pavement the top of the trail system, or the bottom? Looked like some trails down through the grass behind the stables.
    At the end of the pavement before gothic road turns to dirt. There's usually quite a few cars parked there on weekends since it's a pretty busy trail.