mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Flowing Park - Ride Report

My buddy Mike and I headed up to the top of Grand Mesa yesterday to check out Flowing Park. Big thanks to everyone who provided me with info, it really helped out.

The day started out sunny with a few clouds. About half way, maybe a little more, through the ride the rain clouds caught us and unleashed a fair amount of moisture and some unnerving thunder and lightening. Then as we reached the last bit of gravel coming back to the car, the clouds parted and the blue sky returned.

A few puddles and soft muddy sections on the two track leading out to the little lake, but when we hit trail proper conditions turned optimal.

Along the way:

We came up on a couple herds of Elk. This herd of cows and calves stuck around long enough for a so, so zoom shot before galloping off into the trees...

While it was still sunny we had to stop and smell the flowers...

...and take in the view.

There is some really nice singletrack...

But, then the trail disappears, and a scattering of wire flags and ribbon tied to trees guided our way. I didn't stop to take any pictures along this section because I was pretty focused on picking my way over and around the rocks, while trying to keep track of the flag markers. It was not till we hit the big section of sage brush that flags were few and far between, and we lost the trail a couple of times.

The trail miraculously reappeared and we were really moving through the last section when the little bit of spritz turned to steady rain. Trail conditions held up till we hit the last section through the trees before you reach the fence. The rain was laying down a pretty good layer of water and the elk and decided they liked this section because it was completely chewed up from animal traffic. It was all we could do to keep the wheels moving as the wheels, frame, and fork packed up with dark mud, and there were several spots that we had to shoulder through because of the muck. I really think this section would have been a cinch if all we were dealing with was wet dirt, but the hoof traffic had torn it up so bad that adding water made it a real mess.

Battling slick mud was the theme for the rest of the ride till we hit the gravel. We were a mess, the bikes were a mess, but it couldn't hold back our smiles.

Tried to clean off the biggest hunks of mud before racking up the bikes, so this is relatively clean...

Great ride, even with the rain, bit of trail finding, and mud.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    Great sounds like you had a good time. We are hoping to get the trail finish this year. Stay in touch in the fall there be a volunteer day I'm sure to try to finish it up.
    " They May forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them Feel"
    Carl. W. Buechner

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    @Nutbag - Hey I think it was you guys that we met up with just as you finished the trail. Thanks again for the info, we only rode to then end of the gravel, then I just bike the road back out to the lands end road. Nice pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    After two years, I again rode Flowing Park with my neighbors today (Sunday, June 5th). OMG, the conditions have really deteriorated, IMHO. Massive ruts, rock piles, downed trees, virtually no trail visible in many areas (thanks, Nutbag for smashing some of the plants down), and more than the usual bumps, in addition to the mud.

My poor wife endo'ed in one of the mud bogs left over from Friday's deluge, and the ride was over for her. Not badly hurt, thank goodness, but very muddy & mad as hell! Good thing she didn't press on, as she would have been most unhappy with the condition of the trail.

We almost made it to Indian Point before deciding we had all had enough abuse and were ready to return to the trailhead.

I suppose I might go back again, but only after some serious trail maintenance work has been done to the trail. Since I'm a COPMOBA member, it's even likely that I'll participate.

Nice enough ride, but truly NOT fun and no smiles from me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bummer about your wife's crash, I hope she'll be okay. I took a header in a mud bog at speed once and ended up with a nasty case of whiplash and a concussion. Amazing how deep mud can stop a wheel cold.

I guess I should have pointed out that the rain when we were up there made the sections that were borderline to start the day, downright nasty( I guess I thought the partially cleaned bike told that part of the story).

My apologies, I don't like getting people excited for a trail just to have it suck when they get there, and especially when there ends up being ride ending crashes (even if it is more hurt pride and frustration than permanent injury).

Hopefully things will get coordinated to see it finished like Tiggerider mentioned, so that the next time you do hit it up you'll reclaim the fun and smiles.

I forgot to get a shot of the cairns. While helpful most of the time, there is one section where the number of cairns lined up gets a bit silly.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster Nutbag
    Bummer about your wife's crash, I hope she'll be okay. I took a header in a mud bog at speed once and ended up with a nasty case of whiplash and a concussion. Amazing how deep mud can stop a wheel cold.

I guess I should have pointed out that the rain when we were up there made the sections that were borderline to start the day, downright nasty( I guess I thought the partially cleaned bike told that part of the story).

My apologies, I don't like getting people excited for a trail just to have it suck when they get there, and especially when there ends up being ride ending crashes (even if it is more hurt pride and frustration than permanent injury).

Hopefully things will get coordinated to see it finished like Tiggerider mentioned, so that the next time you do hit it up you'll reclaim the fun and smiles.

I forgot to get a shot of the cairns. While helpful most of the time, there is one section where the number of cairns lined up gets a bit silly.
    Hey, no need to apologize. We had planned to do the ride with the neighbors long before I read your initial post. Your post actually prepared us for the conditions we might encounter. Luckily it didn't rain on us. There were only a couple of spots where the mud was still mucky and messy. Most of the trial was dry enough so the mud was soft, but didn't stick to the tires.

My wife has never been a very agressive or bold mountain biker. When she gets apprehensive (happens frequently), she usually stops & walks. This is one occasion where stopping & walking may have gotten her shoes muddy, but not the rest of her. As I mentioned, she was more mad than hurt, although she has a big bruise on her thigh from the handlebar and a slightly sprained left wrist. We will have to stick with easy stuff for her to be happy. We're both in our 60s, and age also makes one more cautious and less prone to risk injury, as it takes longer to heal up afterward.

I'm ready to go back and try to make that a better trail, but that will be a major undertaking, as I think pretty much the entire length of the trail needs attention.

Yeah, the number of cairns along that one stretch is pretty funny. I imagine the original builders just stacked up all the rocks they managed to remove from the trail bed. There were lots of rocks...

Model of Grace and Tact
    Anyone been up to Flowing Park recently? Reports?

Thanks-

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Mc View Post
    Anyone been up to Flowing Park recently? Reports?

Thanks-

G
    Trail ready to go. I think it has been open for at least 2 week.
    A group of us will be up there Saturday morning adding new trail from highway 65 over to flowing park trail. Sunday we will be doing a group Ride on Flowing Park come join.
    Last edited by tiggerider; 07-22-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    " They May forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them Feel"
    Carl. W. Buechner

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How long is this trail? Roughly how long does it take to ride the whole loop? A few hours, half a day, whole day?

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Hey David,

We did it yesterday on Tandem and it took 2.5 hrs with about 30 min of that being stops to look at the amazing views and billions of wildflowers. The trail is still not smoothed in for the year yet so it is a bit bumpy. I rode it by myself last week and it was just a little less time, but more punishing on my body.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds good! Thanks for the info.