mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Flowing Park - Help fine tune the info I have

I have a GPS file of Flowing Park from which I have a pretty good idea where off Land's End it starts, but not exactly.

Is the trailhead marked, or near some sort of distinguishing marker(cairns, fence post, gate, whatever)?

The GPS file I have shows it as a lariat loop. Any preference in direction, i.e., clockwise versus counter?

Last question, is snow or major run-off a concern at this point. It looks dry if I stare out my window from the valley below.

Any help greatly appreciated! I'm looking to head up there tomorrow for a little pre-4th spin.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    Take off of the Lands End heading south towards Flowing Park Reservoir (When I get home I'll pull out a map and post the Forest Road number) . The road will dead end at a gate where motorized vehicle traffic is supposed to end. That's the start of the lariat loop. If you ride it counter clockwise you'll be on the most established portion of the trail and will end up with great views out at Indian Point. From there south the trail is spotty and hard to find last time I was there (Fall 08). It gets nasty rocky for a few stretches but is worth doing. I'm sure Copmoba will be having a trail work weekend this summer to finish it out and I hope I'll be able to attend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Awesome, thanks for the info!

Is it better counterclockwise because the trail is more established in that direction and the natural flow is better that way, or just because the trail is more established?

I don't mind a little path finding, but it is good to know that there are still some sections that may not be well defined or cut in.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

user-created
    The road is FS 109, near where we started Kannah from last year, via the Carson Lake trail. The Carson Lake trail is on 109 B.

There are no markings for the Flowing Park trail that I know of, but the Indian Point Trail is marked. If you find the start of that you're more or less in the right place.

Ironically, Flowing Park has no flow to speak of. It does have some outstanding views however.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    The road is FS 109, near where we started Kannah from last year, via the Carson Lake trail. The Carson Lake trail is on 109 B.

There are no markings for the Flowing Park trail that I know of, but the Indian Point Trail is marked. If you find the start of that you're more or less in the right place.

Ironically, Flowing Park has no flow to speak of. It does have some outstanding views however.
    Thanks Joel!

That helps with the largest area of doubt I was experiencing. Google maps was calling the roads some very strange and drawn out name/numbering and I remembered when we were up there it was pretty straightforward.

Not surprised on the lack of flow as I assumed the name came from the nearby reservoir and not the trail. Definitely going up there to explore something new, and take in the views.

Ride to the ride.
    Tell us how it is so we know if it's time to go up there. I've heard some pretty muddy rumors from the top lately. If it's dry anywhere up there, it should be there...

Pics from last fall when the trail was easy to follow due to flags. Might be a different story after winter.

Have fun!

--Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

mtbr member

A word of caution....

If you plan on connecting Flowing Park with Indain Point and Spring Camp, bring a GOOD map AND a GPS or a great sense of direction and thirst for adventure. Connecting those 3 is one of the absolute best rides around these parts, and you end up in the Kannah Creek parking lot. Flowing Park and Spring Camp are very easy to follow. Indain Point however, is a very different story since it vanishes completley for at least a mile or more. Best be prepared to spend the night OR go with somebody who has done it before. I'd be happy to guide some time in the next month or so.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Tell us how it is so we know if it's time to go up there. I've heard some pretty muddy rumors from the top lately. If it's dry anywhere up there, it should be there...

Will do. I'm hoping for a low slop factor, but we'll see.
    If you plan on connecting Flowing Park with Indian Point and Spring Camp...
    Not on this trip, just want to get my bearings on Flowing Park and take in the views. Although, your invitation to possible peril is very tempting.

mtbr member
    I rode the loop last Monday once you get off the double track atv section the trail is great. I Ride it Clockwise because the Section that is not built in yet is downhill an it helps with carrying speed over the rocks. I will be going up Monday to flag in the unbuilt section. In a few weeks the forest service will be working on completing the back section. I had a nice view of a Bear on the far back section. He moved on an let me an the dog go by. Second time I seen this bear.
    " They May forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them Feel"
    Carl. W. Buechner

mtbr member
    I found a PDF Map of flowing park that will be become the one that forest service will be using. If You PM me I can froward the PDF to you. I do'nt now how to post a PDF sorry.
    " They May forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them Feel"
    Carl. W. Buechner