mtbr member
    May 2011

First Trip to Fruita, I live in Denver, From Detroit - Quick Trail Rec. Questions

I have lived in Denver for a little over a year. For those familiar with this side of Colorado, I love Buff Creek, and enjoy Lair o Bear, Betasso. I rode Prince Creek in Carbondale and loved that as well. In short, by Colorado Standards I prefer "easy trails" I am orthopedically challenged and can't absorb a lot of risk. So, I consider myself an intermediate rider and I am ok with that. I pedal well but can't get out of the saddle much.

I am going to ride a bit in Moab first, then hit Fruita on the way back to Denver.

I am riding a Tallboy, and generally don't want to ride more than a couple hours, give or take.

My research suggests something in the Kokopelli's system would work for me, like moore fun or Steve's Loop/Handcuffs.

Is there anything I am missing for a fun fast (moving) intermediate ride?

Thanks in advance.

Tigers love pepper...
    Moore fun should not be on your list. Mary's, Horsethief, Steve's etc.... If you prefer easy trails, skip Moore Fun. Seriously.

You sound like you would enjoy 18 road as well. Lotta buff single track out there. Although Joes and Zippity are a bit bumpy right now.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Agree with Cobi - Can't go wrong with 18 rd. As for Koko... Mary's and Horsethief should be perfect, and have some pretty breathtaking views. Just say no to Moore Fun.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I prefer the intermediate stuff --- and smooth and buff can be a lot of fun as well. I like to hit the technical stuff to make it interesting but can not hit the high level tech stuff --- so it sounds like you guys have given great suggestions. Koko or 18 would you pick if you only had one day?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Def not Moore fun. Rustlers, Mary's, horsethief are all good for intermediate riders. Check out western rim for a longer, easy ride. 18rd would be great for you, also. Visit Over the Edge Sports in Fruita for maps, advice, whatever

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan22 View Post
    Koko or 18 would you pick if you only had one day?
    Hard to say. It's like asking which one of your kids you love more.

18rd - Easier, faster, buffer singletrack. Kessel run leaves you with a big ol' grin on your face.
    Koko - Probably better overall views with more intermediate tech stuff thrown in. Little more climbing, etc.. A loop of Mary's/Horsethief/Steve's is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well I am torn, and it may depend on where I am at legwise during my trip. What would be a good loop/route to take at 18rd?

What is the distance and climb of the mary's/horsetheif/steve's route? Same question for the 18rd route you suggest for above?

Thanks for all your time on this.

mtbr member
    I would do kokopelli if I had one day. I'd do the Mary's, horse thief, steves route. It's a blast. Really great Xc feel to most of it. Less congested, more intermediate tech stuff. I've done it a couple times but forgot time and distance stats. You will too riding there!

If you're feeling adventurous western rim is a great ride. Takes a little route finding but it's my favorite ride out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would do the Kokopelli trails if you want scenery and expect some rocks but not to techy. I would do 18 rd. if you want middle ring flowy trails that can be very fun and carry a bit more speed. 18 rd. has good camping also.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think I am going to do the 18 Rd. trails as they seem to be rated more intermediate and I want to save my legs for moab the next day. Any particular route you recommend for about a 2 hour ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    2 hrs covers ALOT of trails on 18rd. I'd go up Prime Cut to Frontside, Western Zippity back to parking lot. Back up Prime cut to Chutes and Ladders then back out via Vegetarian.
    Lots of choices though. That's just my thought and would probably cover 2ish hours.
    Randy
    Home The Axel Project The Axel Project
    Randy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you have two hours at 18 Road, just do as many Prime Cut (or dirt road) laps as you can that allow you to ride Zippity, Joe's, and Kessel Run. They're the three most fun downhills there... I'd personally skip Chutes and Ladders. Maybe do PBR as well, it's very similar to Kessel, but with more jump opportunities.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would do up Prime Cut from lower parking, then at intersection of Chutes/Prime Cut/Front Side go right on PBR[Chutes goes steep up at this point] go down PBR[1-way] to xing with Prime Cut, go right and up Prime Cut[again] to previous intersection, then go left on Front Side to Joes or keep going to Zippity, down to parking lot and up Prime Cut , left on Front Side to upper Parking, then down Kessels to lower prking lot. There is a map at each prking lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I agree with fruitafrank. Def want to ride Kessels down and PBR down. Joe's is quick and not overly taxing, if you're comfortable with the steeps on Joe's then head over to Zippity Doo Da.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have been to Fruita 5 times now and Kessels is a ton of fun but the last time out, I actually started to like PBR just as much. Not as long as Kessels but seemed to really have alot of action in the length that it is - don't get me wrong, you will have just as much fun on Kessels so don't neglect that trail either. Do watch out for folks going the wrong way on Kessels - they recently made it one way but some riders haven't paid attention to the signs.

My buddy and I were riding Kessels a couple weeks ago, he was on the south side of the trail (between the road that cuts the trail in half and the end of it) and encountered a woman going up the trail - he informed her she was going the wrong way and she just kept going up the trail. I found her on the north side going....up the trail... I guess after being told she was going the wrong way and getting to the road and seeing the next sign saying the trail was one way only, she just kept on going up the trail. I guess she thought rules don't apply to her I reckon.

Joe's Ridge is not to be missed, the steep downhill is in rough shape but manageable, just be ready for a bumpy ride down. Didn't do Zippity but my buddy said it was rough in spots..

You shouldn't miss Kokepelli if at all possible to ride there - Steve's loop wouldn't take that long to ride if you wanted a small taste with great scenery - bring a camera - lots of great pic opportunities. You will thank yourself later for doing it.

No matter what you ride in Fruita, you will have a blast. I would move out there in a New York minute if a job would open up for me there.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.