Thread: Fall riding

mtbr member

Fall riding

I have a couple weeks vacation to use n the fall and I think my wife and I are going to head to down for some riding. We are planning on riding n Breckenridge, Crested Butte and Fruita before heading to Moab.
    How is the weather late in September and early in October? Will we still be able to ride the higher altitude trails?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You should be good to go with the end of the leaves changing in the high country around that time.

The whole enchilada should be perfect too, and Fruita and Moab may even be a little hot still.

10/4/11 on the Whole Enchilada
    Fall riding-315548_10100329049783482_168893205_n.jpg

10/6/12 - Blackhawk Pass in Durango. Towards the of the leaves up very high, but still doing good at slightly lower elevations.
    Fall riding-525938_10100949890813082_924248207_n.jpg

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Flexibility is your friend. The high country aspens may be stunning. But it is also late enough that there could be a blizzard. So long as you don't make plans that you can't change, you'll be great.

Rock n' Roller
    Second flexibility. Give yourself the time and space to go where the weather tells you to. If you can, the high country aspens will be incredible and inspiring. Many of the best rides I've ever had have happened in the fall, soaring through a field of gold...ahh, Dyke trail, how I love thee. If you find yourself in CB, absolutely ride Dyke, but shuttle it part way...riding it from town is a badge of honor, but not quite worth it otherwise.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Fruita and Moab for the most part should be fine late September-ish, I went to Fruita last week of September for the last two years and never had any issue with riding trails - of course, didn't do anything high altitude - was going to ride Crested Butte last year but it was raining up there all week for the most part so didn't bother going. But they had snow/ice on the forecast for the first week of October for CB so like others said - gotta play it by ear.

But you should have no problem getting your ride on in the area. Temps are generally ok during the day and perfect for camping at night - gets a tad nippy at night but nothing that is intolerable.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The end of September in Crested Butte is possibly the best time to be there. The town is fairly empty, the weather is cool, and the scenery is incredible. Like others have said, make sure you ride the Dyke Trail. I'd also recommend doing the Upper trail over to Strand Hill, which is just as spectacular.

Strand Hill is just off to the right of this picture (taken two falls ago):

mtbr member

Fall riding

Thanks for the input. I always try to be flexible when traveling. We will be camping. But we have a camper trailer. So not exactly roughing it.