zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Engineer Pass - what bike question

22 lb HT or 42 lb FS

Looks like there is a bit o chunk on Engineer Pass which leads me to the most common and lame question: Which bike? I'm sure that I could enjoy the ride on either rig, appreciate the advice. thx.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    HT - it's nothing but a dirt road climb. It's a nice one though. I would hate to push a heavy squishy bike up that.
    Last edited by Winans; 06-30-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Real men ride their big bikes

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    real men aren't stupid
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Never said I was a real man,but I never regretted bringing my big bike once the trail turned downward....no matter how HARD the uphill was.I do like to suffer though

mtbr member
    Drive to Lake City with both bikes...Drive to the top and leave the fat bike chained to ummmm the sign for the pass since it is the only thing sticking out of the ground up there...Drive back down...Get on HT and ride up...get on fat bike and haul azz to Ouray...go have a beer and hit the hot springs.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sdf1968
    Drive to Lake City with both bikes...Drive to the top and leave the fat bike chained to ummmm the sign for the pass since it is the only thing sticking out of the ground up there...Drive back down...Get on HT and ride up...get on fat bike and haul azz to Ouray...go have a beer and hit the hot springs.
    Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to for a bike ride.

mtbr member
    I'd hate to ride a HT down.....5" travel 28lb trail bike would be ideal since there is some decent chunk on the Ouray side (assuming you are going down Ouray side) But, if all you have is the HT or 42lbr, I'd have to go with the HT...as much as that pains me to say.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    22 lb HT or 42 lb FS

Looks like there is a bit o chunk on Engineer Pass which leads me to the most common and lame question: Which bike? I'm sure that I could enjoy the ride on either rig, appreciate the advice. thx.
    I did it a few years back on a rigid single speed which was fine - but that novelty has worn off. I'll do it again on my 4". It is not technical at all.