Thread: Edge Loop

mtbr member

Edge Loop

Been to 18 Road trails many a time but have yet to ride The Edge Loop. Wondering what you all think about this 'epic' ride. The waterfall rappel intrigues me as well as the backcountry feel I imagine this ride would provide. I'm sure it's death in the summer, but I'm looking at Memorial day weekend for a ride. I would appreciate your opinions.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

I don't really consider it 'epic', but it's a pretty cool/unique 30 mile ride. Definitely do the sarlaac trail up top. Without that it's basically riding up a dirt road for a long time, and then descending a loose jeep road, then river wash with a little bit of lower 18 road ST mixed in.

mtbr member
    It's mostly a dirt road. With so many other good trails in the area, I would check everything else off my list first. Sarlaac is the only reason to go back there in my opinion. Sounds like the BLM might approve a bunch of new trails back there though. That would be awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If you really want to ride out there just do a out and back of the sarlac trail. If you do just the sarlac trail(can even park back there) then you will still get all of the cool views of the valley to the s and the mountains to the n. Other than that it's all really steep climbs up jeep/dirt roads and none of the decents are that entertaining. The longest decent is a super loose steep two track decent into a Sandy/rocky wash that leads you to a waterfall that you have to get your bike down.

Then once you finnaly get back to the smooth flow trails if 18 Rd you will wish you just lapped those trails all day and had more smiles per mile

This all being said if you have really low expectations and like to punish your self then the edge loop is a great solitary ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The Edge Loop is a decent trail, and has it's place for the right rider. It wouldn't get much exposure if it wasn't for the IMBA? "Epic" ride designation from way back when. I wouldn't recommend it for a first time rider to the a Grand Valley because it does have too much double track.

I've done it three times myself. What you get is a lot of mileage (which is something that appealed to me at one time), solitude (once you break off of Western Zip,you're in no mans land for a long time), fantastic views of the Horse Mountains to the north and the Grand Valley to the south, plus there's still some cache with saying you've done it because it's not for the weak of heart. There is a great single track downhill section to get down into Lipan Wash but it goes much too fast. The waterfall has a ride around (at least the last time I ride it several years ago). Lipan Wash can be unrideable if it is too sandy which can put a big damper on the whole experience.

Tigers love pepper...
    I live here and have never had any desire to ride it. Someday I likely will just because..... But from all the people I've talked to that have ridden it, it just doesn't sound fun.

Ride Sarlacc out and back if you want to see the area and get the views. There's plenty of better 30 mile rides in the area from what I've heard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Good to do it once, but not my favorite. Nice to get up high, awesome views (which seems to be the qualification for an "EPIC" trail), and good way to get a long ride in away from the crowds if you are staying at 18rd.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Good to do it once, but not my favorite. Nice to get up high, awesome views (which seems to be the qualification for an "EPIC" trail), and good way to get a long ride in away from the crowds if you are staying at 18rd.
    Now you can do Sarlacc (out and back) though and get the same views and mileage without the road riding... or at least use Sarlacc to replace a good chunk of the grind up the road if you still decide you want to do edge. Either way, if you wanna get up there I say don't miss out on Sarlacc.

http://www.copmoba.org/userfiles/fil...%201-24-14.pdf

Edge Loop-sarlacc.jpg

Edge Loop-sarlacc2.jpg

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    I live here and have never had any desire to ride it. Someday I likely will just because..... But from all the people I've talked to that have ridden it, it just doesn't sound fun.
    This. I've been riding Fruita since the mid-90's and Edge has never really even made it on to the "tentative" list.

mtbr member
    I rose the Edge trail last fall as a loop from 18 Rd, with Sarlack. De ending to Edge the upper road was steep and loose, and once you got to the "trail" it was a washed out erosion rut, much too steep to be "sustainable" and it's age and poor design was showing. I have not been up there in a while and was disappointed the erosion ruined what I remembered as a fun decent. I loved the new Sarlack trail but not the aged Edge.