Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    tg
    mtbr member

Eagle is as good as it gets!!

The rains have made fore some steller trails ....... come get em
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle is as good as it gets!!-downsized_0420121153.jpg  

Eagle is as good as it gets!!-downsized_0420121202.jpg  

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Rode there today and the non motorized trails were great. Climbing those steep sections up Abrahms was no problem (aside from wimpy legs and lungs ) The trails that have shared moto use are quite a bit more chewed up and dusty but that's to be expected. I always get kind of turned around once I get into that tangle of trails above the top of Worlds greatest DH. Exploration is part of the fun though. Having to climb out that little steep section of trail to get back to town is cruel! (a local told us that the exit out the bottom of the gulch is closed off until an easement is hopefully worked out with the property owner)

Eagle is a favorite spring trip for Summit Co riders for day trips when our trails aren't quite ready yet.

tg
    mtbr member
    Hit catwalk today except for on short snow patch it was all GOOD!

Tribe Member
    So is there a map that you can download for the trails? I am hopeful to ride there this Friday on our way to Fruita. Any info about this would be great.

TIA
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    I am hopeful to ride there this Friday on our way to Fruita.
    The good news is the trails were practically empty today in Fruita......

Cant imagine what it will look like next weekend, good thing I'm going golfing Sat!

Tribe Member
    Cobi,
    Not a big 18Rd guy at all. It's fun and all but would rather get in some riding out at Loma or Rabbit Valley areas.

That way if I get hurt, nobody will run me over.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Tigers love pepper...
    My golfing just got cancelled. Looks like I may be trying to hit something this weekend as well. Western Rim sounds enticing or maybe I'll actually go check out the fest. I've lived here since 92 and never gone! Or course I've only been mtn biking for about 4 seasons now.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    So is there a map that you can download for the trails? I am hopeful to ride there this Friday on our way to Fruita. Any info about this would be great.

TIA
    Interested in a map as well. Sure looks nice and might be worth a trip out to Eagle this weekend. Where do you start? Recommended rides for a quick weekend trip?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Stop by Mountain Pedlar in Eagle, they have the goods!

Link below has the Map of published trails, there are also some hidden GEMS

mountainpedaler dot com , under trails

Sorry I can't post the direct link because I only have a lame 7 post

mtbr member
    What are the more challenging trails in the area? In the downhill direction to be specific.
    Yield to downhill

Colorado
    Eagle Map

This is huge so click the link.

http://www.mountainpedaler.com/Image...rails_2009.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    Eagle Map

This is huge so click the link.

http://www.mountainpedaler.com/Image...rails_2009.jpg
    Awesome info. I've not ridden Eagle much, but intend to, soon.

If I ever stop taking on new clients and working all the damn time.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm headed to Eagle with a group of guys (from Boulder/Denver) this weekend. I have the Mountain Bike Eagle Book, by Bob Turitz. Does this sound like a good plan:

Saturday: West Eagle - maybe Abrams>Mikes Night out>World's Greatest.
    Sunday: Boneyard area

We'd like a full day on Saturday, but don't want to totally wreck ourselves. And a full day now isnt much more than 4-5 slow hours.

Any suggestions appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Your plan for Saturday is a pretty full day, but if you have enough gas after World's Greatest, cut a hard left back up a gully and take Tick Alley to the top and do Elk Drop to Star Wars, and take Pole Rd back out. You'll probably want directions from the local shop if you don't have a good book detailing this route. When you get to the moto area at the bottom, it can be a little confusing, as can finding the turn off to Star Wars (easy to miss).

Depending on conditions on World's Greatest, I sometimes prefer Elk Drop/Star Wars/PoleRd - you can get there from the bottom of Mike's as well. If doing this, I'd recommend Mikes -> Catwalk -> Easy Rider -> (back up double track) -> Elk Drop -> Star Wars -> Pole Rd.

You can also look for the Plunge (steep fun!), rather than taking Pole Rd out, but it's tricky to find, due to all the moto routes. It's easy to drop off the "peaks" too early, which will put you on the wrong side of the deeply shrubbed steep ravine from Pole Rd, with no way out but a nasty juniper bushwhack down and back up the ravine, or hike-a-bike back to the top of the "peaks" (speaking from experience - I did the bushwhack).

For some reason on the map that was posted, Elk Drop is mis-labelled as Fast Times.

Unfortunately the motos can do a lot of damage to the Eagle trail system, especially with the soft dirt and the lack of precip we've had this year - lots of deep ruts scattered throughout as of the weekend before last.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 04-30-2012 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Please pardon my ignorance but is this the Eagle close to Vail?

From GA but will be in Carbondale for around 30-45 days starting early June.

My family will be with me and we do destination mtb camping on the weekends so I'll be riding close to the camper but the weekday afternoons can be free to ride solo and if I remember correctly Eagle is only about and hour or so east.

Input appreciated.

Greg

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yes, Eagle is just west of Vail. You could get off of I-70 in Gypsum, maybe 45 minutes from Carbondale.

Carbondale also has lots of good riding for your afternoons.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've ridden quite a bit of carbondale/snowmass/aspen area and looking to ride lots.

Thanks for the input now I can get a map and explore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue08 View Post
    Please pardon my ignorance but is this the Eagle close to Vail?

From GA but will be in Carbondale for around 30-45 days starting early June.

My family will be with me and we do destination mtb camping on the weekends so I'll be riding close to the camper but the weekday afternoons can be free to ride solo and if I remember correctly Eagle is only about and hour or so east.

Input appreciated.

Greg
    Hey Greg - yep, you are thinking of the right place. I'm not sure about distance, but you're thinking correctly!

mtbr member
    I have a meeting in Silverthorne tomorrow. Anyone want to show me a good 1.5-2 hr ride tomorrow afternoon on my way back to Basalt? PM me

I have never ridden these trails and would love to see the goods.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post

Cant imagine what it will look like next weekend, good thing I'm going golfing Sat!
    Brings back many memories!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post

Maybe My memory is just bad, but it seems like all the trailheads are especially busy this spring. Luckily, crowded parking lots doesn't always equal crowded trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Last nights rain made for an awesome track today. Boneyard and Ice Rink were low dust and almost tacky

Colorado
    Ealge keeps getting more fun every time I visit. I went down Easy Rider which was super fast and fun, then I have no idea where I went from there. I think I went to The Plunge down to Hocket Gulch mixed in with a little Fast Times?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey Drop the Seat, Nice Video.

The 1st part looks like Star Wars and the 2nd part is the Plunge.

Saturday I hit Abrams Ridge, Scratch, Cat Walk, Mike's night out, Scratch, Worlds greatest and schoolhouse rock.
    Sunday it was, The Wall, Riddle, up hardscrabble road, Wolverton Springs then down Pipline.

Want to vent?
    Any good trail trail conditions update webpages for Eagle County?

Mtn pedaler trail conditions page is not active yet it appears and thought there used to be a ECO page but cant find it anymore. Also Vail velo is no good.

Trying to gauge when the higher mtn stuff will start to open up. I need me a two elks day trip soon.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast