Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Rode Boneyard for the first time yesterday - I'm hooked.

tg
    mtbr member
    Love Boneyard! Great after work ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle is as good as it gets!!-cimg0299.jpg  

Eagle is as good as it gets!!-downsized_0323121439a.jpg  

mtbr member
    I did a loop today and I'm wondering what the mileage was....thought maybe someone in this thread might know...Abrams Ridge to scratch to cat walk up the service road up the steep part to Mikes night out back down scratch to worlds greatest to elmers to school of rock...

anyone? felt like a long ride! Great trails though, Eagle folks have it made!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by element1 View Post
    I did a loop today and I'm wondering what the mileage was....thought maybe someone in this thread might know...Abrams Ridge to scratch to cat walk up the service road up the steep part to Mikes night out back down scratch to worlds greatest to elmers to school of rock...

anyone? felt like a long ride! Great trails though, Eagle folks have it made!
    20-30, likely right at 25. That is a great ride, haven't been over Mike's yet this year myself.

Large and In Charge
    New Ice Rink trail is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Eagle is as good as it gets!!

Quote Originally Posted by RideEagleCO View Post
    New Ice Rink trail is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!!!
    New?

Large and In Charge
    Yeah, they brought in the trail design people on the down-low and pimped the trail, total new setup.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ha! Funny, I was riding in Eagle today and after riding a bunch of other stuff I decided to add some milage to my ride and check out the re-route. (they were working on it last time I was in Eagle in the spring)

So, not knowing that is was redone as a mongo berm, downhill flow kind of trail trail I rode started riding up it. I didn't go very far before it became obvious to me that the reroute design was shall we say heavily weighted with DH flow in mind. I didn't run into anyone coming down till I was 2/3 of the way to the top though so I figured what the hell and I kept going. Tough but doable climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Is it just the lower secrtion? I always loved the gnarlyness of the upper section. Haul balls through loose and roots, spending half the time in the air. Does it still have that character at the top coming down from the Boneyard? The lower section was always definitely asking for a flow-oriented reroute. The terrain at the bottom is money for that.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Is it just the lower secrtion? I always loved the gnarlyness of the upper section. Haul balls through loose and roots, spending half the time in the air. Does it still have that character at the top coming down from the Boneyard? The lower section was always definitely asking for a flow-oriented reroute. The terrain at the bottom is money for that.
    Pretty much redone as a flow/berm singletrack except about 1/4 mile of double track and the very top. It's steep in places, but not particularly technical in terms of rock. There are numerous jump type features - although nothing big - built into it. I cleaned the whole thing going up, but there were a couple spots that I barely made. I saw one marked, designated advanced "alternate" route near the bottom but I didn't go that way.

It's definitely fun and should be sustainable, but it's not like the old route.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bummer. I guess I'll check it out just the same. Thanks for the beta. Planning on riding Sunday.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Never been riding in Eagle, but how is it as an alternate to the Fruita/Moab desert this time of year? Is it too cold (unless we have a warm spell)? Or is it a good option?

I have an open weekend on the 19th but no extra days off, and wondering if Eagle might be a good camp/bike destination. Or should I just suck it up and drive all the way to Fruita?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    New pool/ice rink reroute:

To be honest, I really miss the speed and gnarliness of the old trail. I wish they had done a flow reroute on a more boring trail, or as a spin-off from the original.

The reroute is sort of fun and definitely has unique character, but the upper section, BEFORE the huge berms, it feels a bit too twisty and not that flowy - you really have to pedal hard in between turns to have any feeling of speed - which feels weird for a trail that is more or less all downhill. About halfway down, you can finally raise the speed a bit, but you still can't just let 'er rip.

IMO, Elk Drop/Star Wars has a better flow to it at speed. You can really rip on that trail. Maybe pool/ice rink is just too steep to get a real back and forth flow going and just works better pointed down?

That said, I'd like to follow one of the designers down it. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, and maybe it gets better once you really know the trail well, but I think the main problem is that I LOVE to ride FAST, and the trail wants you to ride fast-ish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had not ridden the old pool and ice rink trail but I quite liked the new trail. Not super fast but really flowy and bermy. It is evident that lots of love was put into that trail.

What are some other favorite loops out in Eagle? I have ridden Abrams to Worlds Greatest. I liked it.

I am thinking of trying this soon. Elmers ? Tick Alley ? Elk Drop ? Star Wars Ride | Town of Eagle ? Recreation and Tourism Website.

Any other advice or trail/loop suggestions appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Abrams to Worlds to Tick to Elk/Starwars is my go to loop out there. Wrong time of year but Mikes Night is awesome too. Finish it with either of the above. Pipeline is fun, but not a lot of singletrack for the effort. Thats the next place they should build, if possible.

Large and In Charge
    Yeah, Pipeline is kind of a haul for a pretty boring flow-less mostly straight singletrack that ends really quick and dumps into a straight double-track. I agree that this could be re-worked into something exciting. I think Bailey's could be re-worked to flow around that draw instead of just the straight shot too.

I haven't been on the higher up stuff in a while, but I would guess it is still good to go for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Any trail beta after the rain/snow? Is there an site that gets updated by chance?

tg
    mtbr member
    Haymaker is 90% real good 10% gu and snow. All of our other trails are snow and mud. If you ride early when the trails are frozen most of the lower loops can be fun and fast.

Large and In Charge
    @mrniceguy, check out Mountain Bike Eagle | mountainbikeeagle.com. It is sort of regularly updated, but if you like them on Facebook you can get better info. Eagleoutside.com has some trail info too, but I don't think it is updated very often (users can post conditions, but I don't think it happens much). If you follow them on FB, it funny, I think they outsourced their social media to some horrible company that writes these awful generic posts, maybe from India. It would be entertaining if my property taxes weren't paying for it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEagleCO View Post
    @mrniceguy, check out Mountain Bike Eagle | mountainbikeeagle.com. It is sort of regularly updated, but if you like them on Facebook you can get better info. Eagleoutside.com has some trail info too, but I don't think it is updated very often (users can post conditions, but I don't think it happens much). If you follow them on FB, it funny, I think they outsourced their social media to some horrible company that writes these awful generic posts, maybe from India. It would be entertaining if my property taxes weren't paying for it...
    Thanks RideEagleCO, I called the bike shops and they have said its pretty much no go. I wonder if Eagle is done for the season? (It is my first year up here)

On a side note I have been riding Berry Creek in Edwards. It is south facing and has been pretty good to go if anyone is itching to ride.

Hardcore, in my own way.
    Jun 2008
    Counting down the days until we are fully open. Damn this on and off snow. How are the lower trails looking? Just got the bike fixed up ...
    "You have the talent, To make me feel like dirt."

2008 Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm wondering that too. According to mountainbikeeagle.com, it looks like there's a winter wildlife closure until 4/15. Anyone know if there'll be any dry trail once that restriction is lifted?

Large and In Charge
    Rode Haymaker yesterday, all except the far loop are exempt from the closure, and it was 100% good to go, no greasiness. That could change with this next storm, so get out today! If you see a fat guy on a black and yellow Tallboy (for sale, too) that's me, say hi.

mtbr member
    Weather (knock on wood) looks great for tomorrow in Eagle. Been on the roadie the last two months here in Breck and dying to get on some dirt. Maybe a quick trip on the 70 is in order.

Clueless Bastard
    These trail pix are killing me. We still have a mf'ing metric sh*t-tonne of snow in da 'boat. However I did get to ski on the last day of the season in 4 inches of fresh snow. Nice snow, at that.

Eagle is as good as it gets!!-wp_20140413_001.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast