mtbr member

Durango Ride Suggestions

I know use the search function.....I have done some research, but would like to hear from others. We will be in Durango next week for the first time for 6 nights so looking for some ride suggestions.

Want to ride as much as we can in the high country so have looked into Blackhawk, Molas, etc, but wondering what are some of the better loops to ride up that way? My wife and I are pretty strong riders looking for some suggestions that are 30 to 50 miles. We would like to use a shuttle for one or two rides and would like to ride loops if possible for the rest.

Also would like to hit some of the town rides if there are any suggestions there for some shorter days.

We will be camping at Junction Creek....any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!!

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    ride Kennebec Pass from town.
    ride Molas to Cascade

Both of these are shuttle rides for many (molas can easily be done hitching with no shuttle), but you want to be burly, so ride them as loops.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Also would like to hit some of the town rides if there are any suggestions there for some shorter days.

We will be camping at Junction Creek....any suggestions are appreciated.
    For a "town ride" suggestion, and since you're staying at Junction Creek, think about linking these rides: Colorado Trail - Hoffheins Connection and the Twin Buttes loop just west of town on US 160 (catch if coming out of Lightner Creek back to town). Trailhead is just west of the Giant Gas Station on the north side of the highway.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    For a "town ride" suggestion, and since you're staying at Junction Creek, think about linking these rides: Colorado Trail - Hoffheins Connection and the Twin Buttes loop just west of town on US 160 (catch if coming out of Lightner Creek back to town). Trailhead is just west of the Giant Gas Station on the north side of the highway.
    Personally, I would do it like this.
    For one townie ride, up the CO, down Hoff. Connect, up Dry Fork to High Point. Turn around, and come back all the way on the CO.

The other would be down Junction Creek Rd, hit 1/2 of the Dahl Park trails, over to Hidden Valley and into Test Tracks, work your way over to the old dump, drop down to 160 and cruise 3/4 of a mile to Twin Buttes TH. Do that ride and work your way through Test Tracks again and back to camp.

I'd also ride Jones->Dutch->Hermosa if you don't mind a little hiking and enjoy tough climbs.
    Molas->Coal Bank->Cascade Creek is one of the best rides anywhere.

Don't miss Telegraph, Sidewinder, Skull Rock and Big Canyon among many others in Horse Gulch. Enter HG from Skyline to Raider's Ridge, home of the brutal 2009 SS World Championships (its easier now).

Haflin Creek is as tree free as it gets, and can be done as a loop with a little road riding.

If you run out of things to ride, you're one strong rider.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Get a ride/shuttle to where Hotel Draw rd intersects w/Colo Trail. Ride that into town. You will be tired and satisfied. CBrossman is too scared for such a ride......

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ride suggestions.....sounds like enough to keep us busy. I really do appreciate it; you have a lot of riding down your way. Really looking forward to spending a week there.

Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu View Post
    Get a ride/shuttle to where Hotel Draw rd intersects w/Colo Trail. Ride that into town. You will be tired and satisfied. CBrossman is too scared for such a ride......
    Any idea on the millage for this one? Looking at the map looks to be around 40 miles.

I was also thinking of getting a shuttle to upper Hermosa, climbing 578 to the CT over Blackhawk, Coral Draw down, Hermosa out. Has anyone done this or a variation of this ride? Or would Molas > Coal Bank > Cascade Creek be a better ride between the two?

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    That sounds about right milage wise. You have the option to bail and take Laplata Canyon or Junction Creek Rd back into town at Kenne pass. Also,either one of you ideas(molas/blackhawk) would be awesome.There are options to make the Molas ride longer,and it has more singletrack than climbing up Bolam.

Another vote for Hotel Draw to town. Any vehicle with clearance would be able to get you up the road to the dropoff point at the CT.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    Another vote for Hotel Draw to town. Any vehicle with clearance would be able to get you up the road to the dropoff point at the CT.

Thanks.....any suggestions on shuttles up there? Apparently Hermosa is not going up there.

Thanks.....any suggestions on shuttles up there? Apparently Hermosa is not going up there.
    They aren't? On their website it shows multiple options for Upper Hermosa and Hotel Draw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    They aren't? On their website it shows multiple options for Upper Hermosa and Hotel Draw.
    That is what I thought, but after some back and forth email I was told they would not be doing any shuttles this week. Maybe I just pissed them off by wanting to give them business.....

This will be our first trip to Durango.....we ride in Moab a ton and it is pretty easy to set up a shuttle there to just about anywhere you want to go. Of course if you deviate away from the standard shuttles you pay more for them, which we were certainly willing to do in this case if needed.

Either way we will put together some great rides....was just wanting to maximize our time on the Colorado trail and avoid some of the long dirt road climbs.

I see this guy's flyers all over town

Durango Mountain Bike Tours - About Us

mtbr member
    That is what I thought, but after some back and forth email I was told they would not be doing any shuttles this week. Maybe I just pissed them off by wanting to give them business.....

Nah, I think Matt (who owns/runs Hermosa) is just out of town for a week or two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the ride suggestions.....sounds like enough to keep us busy. I really do appreciate it; you have a lot of riding down your way. Really looking forward to spending a week there.

Any idea on the millage for this one? Looking at the map looks to be around 40 miles.

I was also thinking of getting a shuttle to upper Hermosa, climbing 578 to the CT over Blackhawk, Coral Draw down, Hermosa out. Has anyone done this or a variation of this ride? Or would Molas > Coal Bank > Cascade Creek be a better ride between the two?
    B,

I have ridden from Hermosa Park > up Hotel Draw > down CT > Corral Draw > Hermosa. Good stuff.

mtbr member

Easy killer....we're sold out for the week and we can't break away to get 2 people to Hotel Draw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Colorado Trail- Molas to either cascade or coal bank
    Colorado Trail- Kennebac Pass to Durango
    Stars Wars downhill at the old Test Tracks
    Log Chutes

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I need some trail advice from you Durango locals. I had a brief ride on your Telegraph trails a few years back while driving through and loved it. I will be there this weekend and would like some advice on a a favorable way to link together all of those great trails in the Horse Gulch and Telegraph systems. I am staying downtown so starting at a TH that I can ride to would be idea but not required. I would like to piece together a ride in the 25-30 mile length if possible taking in all the best they have to offer. Thanks in advance for your help, can't wait!

mtbr member
    A map would be helpful, but most of the intersections have a map.
    You can put together all sorts of distance in there.
    Up Telegraph, down Yellow Brick Road to Cowboy, N or both S. Rims and back up Crits to the top of Telegraph. Now you've ridden most everything on the Eweing Mesa side.

From the top of Telegraph, descend on Anasazi to Meadow, up Mikes, down Cochilla (sp?) and back to the main intersection at the top of HG road. Now you've ridden some of the stuff in HG.

From the intersection, wind your way over to Goeglein Gulch trail and take that N to Skyline. Climb Skyline trail to Raider Ridge and that trail all the way back to the HG intersection (for the 3rd time). Raiders Ridge is considerably more technical then everything else, but well worth it (if you like that kind of thing)

That should wear you out. (Trails 2000 website has good maps, you can plan using those)
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That is exactly what I needed I have a lat 40 map so trail names is perfect thanks