mtbr member
    May 2008

Durango report...just got back.

I asked for some help in planning this trip and thought I would get back with a few details. We had a great time and got great help from 2nd Avenue Bike Shop and another shop on Main Street whose name I can't remember. The people at both shops were ridiculously helpful on trails to ride. Some guy named Ron and 2nd Avenue hooked us up on a damaged bike rack, actually giving us parts off his rack when my parts did not come in before we had to leave.

Some trail reviews:

- Molas down the Engineer Trail was just amazing, epic views and lots of elevation. Rewarded by a long downhill at the end. We hitched a ride to our vehicle and got picked up by a local within about 10 minutes.
    - Jones/Dutch Loop was awesome, great climbs with a greasy/cowshit downhill of almost 10 miles at the end...an absolute riot. In fact, the next day we took a trail from way above the Durango Mountain Resort Near the Elbert Creek Trail, got onto the top of Trail 516 (Dutch Creek Trail) and did the whole thing; which this way had hardly any climbs.
    - Test Tracks was what locals do to train/enjoy their lunch hour; avoid it.
    - Elbert Creek Trail in the same area was really cool.

The rest of our trip was in Moab; so we will be back to ride more. We were lucky enough to have a rider that whimped out, so we had a shuttle. I had talked to some guy from Hermosa Tours, who had enough attitude that we decided to not use him.

Definitely worth the trip, some great restaurants in downtown Durango. The brewer's festival was awesome too.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Test Trax takes some time to learn.We all have our fav little way of linking various loops.They are actually some of the hardest/funnest trails in town.Bottom line,1.5 hrs in tt,and your ti-red(but only rode 6 miles!)
    Glad you had fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stay away from test tracks. Only heathens and devil lovers ride there. Jesus once went to Church of Holy Hermosa and he found enlightenment from a hippie named Matt.

The rest of us infidels conquer land in the name of Allah and the Delaware Destroyers.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Glad you enjoyed your time here.
    Test Tracks is really kind of an aquired taste. You should give it another shot when you come back. You might come away with a different perspective.

You should reallize that the entire Hermosa Tours Company is owned and operated by one guy. Check out the web site, it's a pretty big operation for a single person to run. You might have simply cought him at a busy/distracted moment which would explain your first impression. Matt's a great guy, I can't imagine him throwing attitude around on purpose.

Next time you make it out this way, give a shout. I can almost guarantee a few of us will turn out to ride.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    we had a great shuttle by Hermosa Tours up to Hotel Draw, Lisa was terrific.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Glad you enjoyed your time here.
    Test Tracks is really kind of an aquired taste. You should give it another shot when you come back. You might come away with a different perspective.

You should reallize that the entire Hermosa Tours Company is owned and operated by one guy. Check out the web site, it's a pretty big operation for a single person to run. You might have simply cought him at a busy/distracted moment which would explain your first impression. Matt's a great guy, I can't imagine him throwing attitude around on purpose.

Next time you make it out this way, give a shout. I can almost guarantee a few of us will turn out to ride.
    Thanks, BGB. 9 times out of 10 the offense is Hermosa doesn't spill the beans on trail information for a $25 shuttle. We have a very serious liability with giving out "guiding" info then sending people on their way to get lost. We have to adhere to this or lose our insurance.

It really sucks and it's an ongoing problem. We're seriously considering shutting down the shuttling business as a result. It's a shame.

Matt

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermosa
    Thanks, BGB. 9 times out of 10 the offense is Hermosa doesn't spill the beans on trail information for a $25 shuttle. We have a very serious liability with giving out "guiding" info then sending people on their way to get lost. We have to adhere to this or lose our insurance.

It really sucks and it's an ongoing problem. We're seriously considering shutting down the shuttling business as a result. It's a shame.

Matt
    Geez man, what's with all the attitude??

So goes the litigious society that we live in. It'd be a shame to have to get rid of those sweet vans. You could always park 'em next to a school and give away free candy.

Like this.......

.....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Geez man, what's with all the attitude??

So goes the litigious society that we live in. It'd be a shame to have to get rid of those sweet vans. You could always park 'em next to a school and give away free candy.

Like this.......

Hahahaha....not quite that bad. We'd still run guided tours and need the vans. It's just the ongoing battle on the shuttle side of the business. A few people want A LOT of trail info/guidance for their shuttle fee and walk away angry if they didn't get it.

Hey man, I'm just "not cool".

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My issue was not about trail advice. I just thought the delivery of the individual on the other end of the phone was rude; and I am pretty thick-skinned. Maybe he was having a bad day.