lucky enough

Durango leaf colors

I know it's hard to predict with global warning and all but what week is usually good for checking out fall colors near Durango? My wife and I have free lodging at the Durango Mtn Resort and want to pick a likely weekend.

Thanks much.

Joe
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Hey Joe,

In the past couple of years good color starts to shows up around Sept 20th or so. Seems like the color will be earlier this year based off of the very dry & warm Spring...a total guess.

Enjoy!

www.singletrackmapping.com
    Ft. Collins & Lyons – Golden – Buffalo Creek – Durango – Phil’s World – Crested Butte

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yep. 3rd weekend in September is almost always the winner. Just happens that this year it's the 4th weekend...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    I know it's hard to predict with global warning and all but what week is usually good for checking out fall colors near Durango? My wife and I have free lodging at the Durango Mtn Resort and want to pick a likely weekend.

Thanks much.

Joe
    color change is mostly due to shorter amounts of daylight so it will be pretty consistent year to year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    3rd week is always a good bet. I drove from Aspen to Denver 9/4. Aspen's were just starting on Independence Pass, but seem to be well underway on Fremont?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Too early yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A light freeze at night usually gets them moving along.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post

Thanks much.

Joe
    Leaf change & global warming? ---------------------->righttttt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Was down there riding at over 11k 10 days ago and some things were changing, but not much. Crested Butte on the other hand is getting really good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Vail, breck and Aspen area are about 20% color right now, another week to 10 days and it will be full on......

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    Was down there riding at over 11k 10 days ago and some things were changing, but not much. Crested Butte on the other hand is getting really good.
    Yeah, I'd agree. Rode molas to junction last weekend and outside of the ground cover and willows, there wasn't that much color yet down there. Areas close to CB may peak this weekend, though Kebler is a bit behind.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Breckenridge is a lot more than 20%. I'd say that this weekend will probably be very close to the peak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Durango Partner(s)

I am thinking about spending a few days in Durango either this weekend or next to do some sections of the CT. Is anyone interested in one or two long (4-8 hour) rides at a relatively leisurely pace (shuttle vehicles)? I rode Molas to Hotel Draw a couple of years ago and loved the area. Kennebec Pass is definitely on the list (Possibly Molas to Durango in 2-3 days).

Cheers
    Bryn
    801-556-0914

lucky enough
    My plan is to be there not this weekend but next and if things work out, I wouldn't mind a riding partner. However, family health issues may keep me from heading out. I'll post again if I'm coming.

Flaccid Member
    What's the Durango contingency consensus now on the high country colors, it's about a week later now since someone posted up an actual.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    The colors are going to be spotty this year. Some small batches are full go changing colors but others are still green. I would estimate next weekend as a great time to view the colors. No guarantee though...

Not sure what is going on north of Silverton, but my guess would be the colors are pretty good!
    www.singletrackmapping.com
    Ft. Collins & Lyons – Golden – Buffalo Creek – Durango – Phil’s World – Crested Butte

lucky enough
    I'm coming down and looking to ride Saturday at least. I've heard some folks mention Molas to Coal Bank to Cascade Creek. Does that cruise west on the CO trail then head south past the Jura knob to Engineer trail to end in Cascade Creek or is there another route? Looks about 20 miles or so. Is there a route closer to 40 miles?
    Maybe if I continued west on the CO trail to Sliderock Ridge and then dropped down into Cascade Creek to head out? Is that a decent route?
    Thanks much. If anyone else is game PM me.
    Last edited by cocavaak; 09-19-2012 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You could do Molas to Hotel Draw, around 37 miles. The route I believe you are talking about is White Creek around 25 miles or so. If you have the legs, I'd say do Molas to Hotel Draw, and come down the trail between Hotel and Corral, I call it West Cross. That would be an excellent ride. Leaves in Hermosa area have not fully started changing yet, I would put it around 5-10% changed as of Saturday. Maybe 40% by that weekend, and full on the weekend after.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'll be there w/ a bud this weekend, doing Molas/Coal Bank/Cascade on Saturday & Kennebec Down on Sunday. We're using Hermosa Tours to shuttle us on Sunday ($30pp) so that we can hit the road for home as soon as we dump out at Junction Creek, but were just planning on thumbing it back up to Molas to fetch our vehicle, so shoot me a PM if you want to hook up for a shuttle on Saturday.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bgpmer45 View Post
    I am thinking about spending a few days in Durango either this weekend or next to do some sections of the CT. Is anyone interested in one or two long (4-8 hour) rides at a relatively leisurely pace (shuttle vehicles)? I rode Molas to Hotel Draw a couple of years ago and loved the area. Kennebec Pass is definitely on the list (Possibly Molas to Durango in 2-3 days).

Cheers
    Bryn
    801-556-0914
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by ds1bush9 View Post
    You could do Molas to Hotel Draw, around 37 miles. The route I believe you are talking about is White Creek around 25 miles or so. If you have the legs, I'd say do Molas to Hotel Draw, and come down the trail between Hotel and Corral, I call it West Cross. That would be an excellent ride..
    I like that idea. I'm staying in DMR anyway so I could finish the ride by going up Hermosa Park to the ski area.