mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Durango High Country Ride Solo?

I am staying directly across from the Horse Gulch TH. Probably ride that tomorrow as my sea level lungs were sucking air just walking up the stairs.

However, while I am here I want to at least one high country ride. I didn't even know what that was before heading into town, but a couple of buddies said, "If you drove all the way from Orange County, you better do a high country ride!"

Doing a forum search looks like a lot of the stuff talks about shuttling with two cars. Being solo that won't work. At this altitude I figure I could do ~20 miles slowly, maybe a bites more. Did 25+ in Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Try to shuttle Molas Pass to Engineer Mtn. Trail, using Hermosa Park Tours. I have no idea if those trails are snow free, but if they are, do it. Also, you could drive to the upper Hermosa Creek trailhead and ride up Bolam Pass road to the Colorado Trail, and ride that over Blackhawk Pass, then back to your car via Corral Draw, Hotel Draw, or an unnamed singletrack from the top of Hotel Draw which is very difficult to find. Once again, I have no idea if these trails are snow free and rideable, but if they are, those are my favorites.

As an alternative to this ^, parking at the base of Engineer Mtn Trail and riding up Coalbank to Pass Creek is also an option. From there you can get to the base of engineer and descend to your car.

+ You get the high country and the big descent without having to shuttle
    - You spend 35-ish mins climbing on a busy paved road.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Did 11.5 miles in Horse Gulch. It kicked my arse. Now I have a killer headache. What is 11'000 feet going to do to me . . . Plus, I am going to have to lower my overall mileage expectations if there is any significant climbing involved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    They are listed as open on trails2000. Molas Pass to Engineer Mountain seems to be about the highest rated option in the area. I just have no idea how technical it is. None of my riding buddies in Orange County have ridden it, so I don't know what to compare it to. I am on XC bike, Salsa Spearfish, with 2.1 tires. It is FS, but about as minimal as FS gets.

Have you done the Hermosa shuttle? How does it work? Do you drive to the bottom of the trailhead, they pick you up, and take you up to Molas?

Looks like a break in the storms on Sunday. I didn't realize the afternoon weather was like this. It has rained more in two afternoons than it did the whole year in SoCal. lol It is cool to hear the thunder. We don't get much of that.