mtbr member

Durango high-country conditions in mid-October?

Well, things are rolling with my re-location to Durango If the buyers appraisal goes well today, we'll be closing on Sept. 30, and I'll be heading west with two vehicles and six bikes on Oct. 1!

An old friend and riding buddy lost his job recently, and he's agreed to drive one of my vehicles out. So we should be in town by around Oct. 5. My friend will be staying for a couple of weeks, and we'll be doing some riding. Is there anything in particular that probably won't be ridable in early to mid-October?

BTW, although living behind a Home Depot isn't my idea of high style, it looks like we'll be renting a condo for a few months that's right across from the Sale Barn trailhead!

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Hmmmmm.....

I predict the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2iiN...layer_embedded

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is there anything in particular that probably won't be ridable in early to mid-October?
    This varies tremendously year to year. A lot of years we will get an early snow in late September and then it will be dry into November with lots of good riding to be had even in the high country. A few years ago it snowed and rained during most of October. Regardless there will be plenty of riding to be had. Even if the weather is bad in Durango you can often still ride Phil's World, the Road Apple or the Alien Run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken
    This varies tremendously year to year. A lot of years we will get an early snow in late September and then it will be dry into November with lots of good riding to be had even in the high country. A few years ago it snowed and rained during most of October. Regardless there will be plenty of riding to be had. Even if the weather is bad in Durango you can often still ride Phil's World, the Road Apple or the Alien Run.
    Thanks for the beta...that's about what I figured. I'm sure we'll find plenty to ride. I know i'll be teking my buddy to Phil's World for sure. Isn't there another ride a little farther west, too? Like Sand Canyon or something like that? Does that have a pretty long riding season?

What are Road Apple and Alien rides like...I've never done either...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Isn't there another ride a little farther west, too? Like Sand Canyon or something like that? Does that have a pretty long riding season?
    Sand Canyon - is a fun ride- more scenic that aerobic, but worth the trip out there. You could probably ride it at anytime during the winter, depending on how dry it has been. Never been there in the middle of winter- too busy skiing. The trail tends to have a fair number of hikers on it during sunny weekends.

What are Road Apple and Alien rides like...I've never done either...
    Fast and fun rides south of Durango in the Farmington/ Aztec area of Northern New Mexico.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse
    I know i'll be teking my buddy to Phil's World for sure. Isn't there another ride a little farther west, too?
    I've heard there's some decent riding in Moab . I think shoulderfu can make that drive in like 2.5 hours behind the wheel of his Audi.

Here's a shot from a Blackhawk Pass ride last Sep. 28th

A week after this the trail was nearly dusty again. Conditions in the high country change fast and often, keep your fingers crossed and you might get lucky.
    Congrat's again on the move. I've been here for two years and STILL thank my lucky stars (and cbrossman ). You're gonna love it.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=bones get broke]I've heard there's some decent riding in Moab . I think shoulderfu can make that drive in like 2.5 hours behind the wheel of his Audi.

I actually made it in 2:05 last year when we did porc rim w/lil' laker.Would have made it in just under 2 hrs if it wasnt for a construction zone just outside of moab.
    That blackhawk ride was great,although OTB was a bit unprepared clothing wise!
    Attached Images Attached Images

OTB
    bikma cost more thn carma
    Thank god u can't see the shrinkage.....
    Be still and know.....