mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Durango or Fruita/Grand Junction

I don't know exactly how this is going to pan out but I've been getting pretty serious about relocating. I left my job and visited out west. (From Northern IL) I took a road trip to scope out some possible areas. I did some riding in NM including the Squash blossom classic had a great time. Rode in santa fe, taos, gallup, los alamos. All were great places. The place that I kind of felt like I might like living was durango. I've been doing some searching and possibly found a job that I might be able to get by on. In doing my job search I came across something in Grand Junction that might be in Fruita. The work would be a little more in my field. I also think I might do a little better stretching the dollar up there too. I rode once in Fruita about 5 years ago, Marys loop and some of the other stuff over there. It was fun a little more desert than I care for but I guess I could get used to it. I regret not taking the time to look through the town and in fact I didn't even go over to Grand junction. So I'm interested in hearing honest opinions. I know sometimes threads are like clockwork Spring is training questions summer is where to ride fall is relocation questions but I would like all the info you're willing to share.

Would you rather live in Durango, Fruita, or Grand Junction. If you had the choice. I know they are all great places and I'd be lucky to land at any of them but if you had your pick what would it be and why. Thanks

Rocky Mountain High
    As a resident of the Durango area, I'll say I love it here. It's an amazing cycling community and the riding is endless.

That said, the Fruita/GJ area is great too. They both have spectacular riding and are both great communities. I'd agree that your dollar will probably stretch further in F/GJ. I think the question comes down to the "extreme" seasons: do you want to tolerate a real winter (Durango; not extreme cold though) or a scorching summer (Fruita/GJ)?
    What have I told you about thinking?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

How bad are the winters

How bad are the winters? I asked when I was there and I thought some people said (If really dedicated) you could ride almost all year and if not, Farmington or Cortez could work. I can't believe it's worse than Northern IL. I'm a little curious about the road scene too. Didn't seem like there were a lot of options when I was out there but I wasn't looking too hard for road rides. I did Animas mtn, stuff in the Horse gulch area, Hermosa and Colorado I think was my Favorite just ear to ear the whole way back down. I wanted to do Log chutes but ran out of time. I guess the same could be said for GJ/ fruita in the heat you could drive to ride. I'm also curious how hot it is in the summer. I'm sure you wouldn't want to ride in the heat of the day but if your at work what difference does it make is it tolerable at 5 or 6.. or is it still too hot?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Durango. For the winters.

Singletrack Slacker
    The wife and I moved out to Fruita in July of 06 from Beach Park, IL, that's between 6flags and the lake. We drove the 22 hours out every spring for 5 years and just decided one day to fly out and look at houses. We were here 3 days, found a house, went home and sold everything. I wish we had done it sooner. There are actually quite a few of us ex Chi-towners out here. If you need any info , let me know. Good luck and it is soooo worth the move.
    I need to ride moooore

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

perfect

Heckled Can you tell me a bit more about the summers and winters in comparison with Northern IL. So I guess Kettle would have been your ride of choice I bet it's quite a bit different now.

Singletrack Slacker
    milkman, we jumped a bit between Kettle and Palos. You should try Fort Custer in Michigan if you have not already. As far as weather here, whatever snow makes it to the ground is usually gone pretty quick. There is about a 2-3 week span of under 30 degrees ( it's ruff, I know), and the summer is about the same, 2-3 weeks of 95- 100+, other than that it is perfect. The draw back to all that (harsh) weather is the incredible scenery. There are more than enough trails here to keep you happy for along time, not like getting bored with Kettle after the first few weeks of summer. When it gets hot you're only 2-4 hours away from Aspen, Vail, Winter park, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and Durango, not bad for a short list huh? The winter is good for trips too. Moab is a little over an hour, Sedona is about 4hrs and so is gooseberry( have not tried that yet).
    I need to ride moooore

Des(s)ert Rat
    First of all, why are you telling him all this info? You know it's all false. The riding here sucks, the sky is always one color, and why in the world would you want the SWB to be mayor!? I'm votin' Tater!

How were the hot springs? Or is that next week? Tell EJ that I'm jonesin' to ride ss with her.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    First of all, why are you telling him all this info? You know it's all false. The riding here sucks, the sky is always one color, and why in the world would you want the SWB to be mayor!? I'm votin' Tater!
    Dude - Tater's gettin' grey hair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thanks

Heckled. Thanks for the info. Of course if I did come out there I'd probably have to upgrade form the hardtails to a high end full suspension how are the bike shops? I've ridden fort custer and I really liked it. I wish I heard a little more about the winters in Durango. Looking at pics of the golf courses and the houses there is more grass out in GJ and Fruita than what I thought I'm guessing most are irrigating.

icanseeformiles(andmiles)
    winters can be pretty variable; it can be cold and snowy just like Northern Ill (spent several years in Ind just south of the lake), 2 days later it can be 60 and sunny. just get a few miles east, west or north (10 miles or so) where it's above 8,000 ft, and expect full-blown winter. go south to Farmington or Aztec, and pretty much ride all year 'round. (except for brutally hot summertime).

left just west of Durango 3 years ago for the front-range, would move back in a heartbeat. (no, not Durango West, tho' rents are cheaper there.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    To differentiate riders by the type of surface frequented is IMO the height of foolishness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Bike shop in Friuta....

OTE. They have a web site. And the owners post on this board, often. And they sponser a thing called the FFTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman
    Heckled. Thanks for the info. Of course if I did come out there I'd probably have to upgrade form the hardtails to a high end full suspension how are the bike shops? I've ridden fort custer and I really liked it. I wish I heard a little more about the winters in Durango. Looking at pics of the golf courses and the houses there is more grass out in GJ and Fruita than what I thought I'm guessing most are irrigating.

mtbr member
    Grand Junction! Much much cheaper than Durango. 2 hours to CB. 2 hours to Aspen. 1.5 hours to Moab. Ride all winter. Travel to ride in the summer. Durango is a great place with great riding, its just really expensive.
    CruisenSurly