Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Meat Clever

Durango or Fruita? Or?

I'm planning a mid-May trip from CA and will be doing a counter-clockwise loop through AZ, to CO, UT, then NV.

Relatively fit XC riders that like moderate chunk, 3' drops max, 4- to 5-inch FS bikes, 2 days to ride in CO, probably 6-7 hours of riding each day. Lodging will be either camp or cheap-hotel.

We'll be riding Moab (porc rim, slickrock,amasa etc). and St Geo area (Gooseberry, Hurricane Cliffs area), so would like to maybe ride something different that Durango/Fruita has to offer? looking for suggestions...

We'll be coming into CO via Flagstaff.

So, Duragngo or Fruita? Or somewhere else?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

Paste eater
    Fruita is high desert riding more akin to Moab and Durango is more alpine riding with some hybrid stuff around town. Thing is, mid may a lot of the Alpine stuff will still be covered in snow.

On another note, you said you'll be coming into CO via Flagstaff? I more logical route would be Flag>St George> Moab > Fruita/Durango > back to AZ

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    What Jwind said. Alpine goodies will still be off-limits, and that's what you want to hit when you are in the Durango area, IMO.

And be mentally prepared - St George & Moab/Fruita could be hotter than Hades when you go. Keep your fingers crossed that it is not, but at least be mentally ready to ride early/late and chill during the noon->4pm period.

Meat Clever
    Thanks for replies Jw & SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Fruita. it's only 1 1/2 hours away from moab, and as stated, will probably be drier. and lots of variety. you can also do both if you want, durango isn't that far away and is also awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There's a lot of variety around Fruita, too... between Palisade, Loma, Fruita, and GJ, you have a lot to choose from.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    There's a lot of variety around Fruita, too... between Palisade, Loma, Fruita, and GJ, you have a lot to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    Fruita. it's only 1 1/2 hours away from moab, and as stated, will probably be drier. and lots of variety. you can also do both if you want, durango isn't that far away and is also awesome.
    Thanks fellas

Get to dah choppah
    Consider going to Gunnison and riding the Hartman Rocks area. May is a good time to be there and it's on your route pretty much. Lots of free camping in the area as well.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Too early to hit Durango that time of year unless you don't care about riding the high country which if you are going to Durango to ride then that should be included. The stuff in town IMO is meh.

Cortez has Phil's world and is worth riding if you are in the vicinity. Moab has so much great riding now. Amasa-Jackson-rock stackers, Climb 7 up to mag 7, to portal. monster day!! sovereign, bar m, Klondike bluffs, yada, yada, yada.

Lunch loops, out and back on the ribbon is awesome . White rim trail in between Fruita and Moab is worth doing. I'm not a huge fan of Fruita, but each their own.

St. George and hurricane have great riding. Make sure you purchase a map at OTE and have Quinten draw you some trails which are not well known.

I have ridden all of what I speak more than once and just finished a 40 day road trip in Moab, grand J, Vernal and St . G/hurricane if you want some more beta.

Puffy

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickd72 View Post

Lunch loops, out and back on the ribbon is awesome . White rim trail in between Fruita and Moab is worth doing. I'm not a huge fan of Fruita, but each their own.

Puffy
    White rim is a 100 mile jeep road in Canyonlands National Park outside of Moab. Amazing scenery but zero singletrack.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    White rim is a 100 mile jeep road in Canyonlands National Park outside of Moab. Amazing scenery but zero singletrack.
    I think he meant Western Rim out at Rabbit Valey

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    Consider going to Gunnison and riding the Hartman Rocks area. May is a good time to be there and it's on your route pretty much. Lots of free camping in the area as well.
    Gunny is a bit of a haul from the whole CO/UT border areas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    I think he meant Western Rim out at Rabbit Valey
    actually i think he is talking about white rim, which is a 100 mile dirt road between moab and fruita and has no singletrack.

western rim at rabbit valley is a 19.6 mile lolipop loop with super fun singletrack in it.

*EDIT: after reading through it all, yes, i think patrick72 was talking about western rim but said white rim, and you, cobi, are correct, and i should just shut the f$%^k up and mind my own business.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    actually i think he is talking about white rim, which is a 100 mile dirt road between moab and fruita and has no singletrack.

western rim at rabbit valley is a 19.6 mile lolipop loop with super fun singletrack in it.

*EDIT: after reading through it all, yes, i think patrick72 was talking about western rim but said white rim, and you, cobi, are correct, and i should just shut the f$%^k up and mind my own business.
    Hahaha, yer funny.

For clarification...

Western Rim, also called 'Rabbit Valley' = Is a riding destination off I70 right before the UT border.

White Rim = 100 mile jeep road IN Canyonlands not at all between Moab and Fruita. It's actually South West-ish of Moab.

Kokepelli = A jeep road that has not been mentioned and actually does is between Fruita and Moab. In fact, it runs FROM Fruita TO Moab.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Western Rim, also called 'Rabbit Valley' = Is a riding destination off I70 right before the UT border.
    I believe that all of the rim singletrack on the Western Rim trail is on the Utah side of the border, and most of the double-track getting to the singletrack and back (minus the Trail #2 singletrack) is in Colorado.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Skid Map to the rescue!

The Skid Map

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hahaha, yer funny.

For clarification...

ok, now i'm gonna clarify (just one small bit)

Western Rim is IN rabbit valley, but rabbit valley has more than just western rim. Rabbit Valley is exit 2, and there is zion curtain, 3-4 loop, and a bunch of other trails.

ok, going back to shutting up now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I did mean Western Rim. To the OP, utahmountainbiking.com is a good resource and has a nice W. Rim loop described. I rode it in November and saw one other person.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Rabbit Valley is great, located between Moab and Fruita. Rabbit Valley is a location not a trail name that has lots of trails. If you hit that up you can connenct Western Rim/ Zion Curtain/ West Water Mesa/ Overlook Trail for a real long epic day of XC backcountry riding that could easily consume your 6-7 hour ride goal. It is more natural terrain, a little more difficult to follow and not maintained like the other Fruita trails (which makes it great in my opinion) and you will not see very many people. Camping is free and you can find solitude easily, unlike lots of the other Fruita/ GJ and Moab areas.
    Last edited by AntiPavement; 12-24-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPavement View Post
    If you hit that up you can connenct Western Rim/ Zion Curtain/ West Water Mesa/ Overlook Trail for a real long epic day of XC backcountry riding that could easily consume your 6-7 hour ride goal. It is more natural terrain, a little more difficult to follow and not maintained like the other Fruita trails (which makes it great in my opinion) and you will not see very many people. Camping is free and you can find solitude easily, unlike lots of the other Fruita/ GJ and Moab areas.
    Riding the Whitewater/Overlook trail is on my 2013 to-do list (along with Sidewinder at Olathe and the trails at Paonia).

I don't camp, but I've always wondered about the argument of free vs charged camping. I spend $6-7 in gas money to go biking during my lunch hour. Is paying $10 to camp for the night a big deal? Especially at a place like 18 rd where the money goes back into the trails or camping facility.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'll throw in a vote for the Durango/Cortez area. Even if the high stuff isn't open, there are still great options.

Contrary to what some others have said, I think the Grandview Ridge riding right in town is top notch and within a 1.5 hour drive you have rides like Phil's World, Sand Canyon, Boggy Draw and Alien Run. All good trails even if you can't get up high.

I like the vibe of Durango and Cortez way better than Fruita town wise too. Don't miss the micro brewery in Cortez if you go.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    Riding the Whitewater/Overlook trail is on my 2013 to-do list (along with Sidewinder at Olathe and the trails at Paonia).

I don't camp, but I've always wondered about the argument of free vs charged camping. I spend $6-7 in gas money to go biking during my lunch hour. Is paying $10 to camp for the night a big deal? Especially at a place like 18 rd where the money goes back into the trails or camping facility.
    18 Road is a nice spot to camp and I'm fine with them charging fees. Not sure if the monies go back to the trails at all though...I was under the impression the the $ went to better facilities just for camping. I could be wrong and open to a correction from someone who knows more than me.

I usually associated paid camping places with amenities like toilets, picknic tables, numbered camp sites that are usually pretty close to others, night time quiet hours and a authority figure driving around in a golf cart. I could see why someone would be drawn to campsites like this but I could also see why some people would choose to be away from all that. Rabbit Valley is a good place to get away from these types of campsites.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    By next May, Durango will have either 5 or 6 operating brew pubs. What else do you need to know?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPavement View Post
    18 Road is a nice spot to camp and I'm fine with them charging fees. Not sure if the monies go back to the trails at all though...I was under the impression the the $ went to better facilities just for camping. I could be wrong and open to a correction from someone who knows more than me.
    you are correct. the $10/night fee goes back to managing the facilities. toilet paper, trash removal, etc.

i can't imagine there will ever be a guy in a golf cart riding around telling people to be quiet. not up there, that would be horrible AND ridiculous. now that image is stuck in my mind, and hilarious to me.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post
    I'll throw in a vote for the Durango/Cortez area. Even if the high stuff isn't open, there are still great options.

Contrary to what some others have said, I think the Grandview Ridge riding right in town is top notch and within a 1.5 hour drive you have rides like Phil's World, Sand Canyon, Boggy Draw and Alien Run. All good trails even if you can't get up high.

I like the vibe of Durango and Cortez way better than Fruita town wise too. Don't miss the micro brewery in Cortez if you go.
    Great info - thanks! Turns out we'll probably go to Cortez to visit a relative along the way and we were looking at Phil's world. Cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast