Bix Pender
    Feb 2009

Durango, Crested Butte, and Gunnison

Alright! I just got back from 6 days of travel and 4 days of riding in the aforementioned places. Well, except for gunni as a thunderstorm rolled through right as I pulled in the hartman Rocks parking lot. I'm from Asheville, NC.

Your Walmart doesn't have Slim Jims (my special "sh$t I'm bonking" food), my campstove broke in the UPS shipment, and I didn't catch any fish. (I SUCK) Junction creek campgound is too expensive. Sig Creek is cool, except for the fUkn hunter from texas who stole my beer I stashed in the creek when I was riding Blackhawk Pass. Good beers in a can are cool +1, buying beer from a liquor store, lame -5. What's up colorado? medical ganja, but 6% beer from a liquor store? The guys at 2nd avenue Sports, are cool. Thanks for sending me to the first ride.

Jones-pinkerton-dutch-hermosa. 1st ride. Jones climb is sweet. Pinkerton was too much hike a bike and the sun was hot, even though it was cloudy and rainy. Cows are abundant and sometimes they ran along side me which really pisssed me off and made me feel like I was about to get the sheet stomped out of me by a big black cow. top of PInkerton there's some cool techy downhill. Lots of mud, both black and green. Did I mention cows? how about cow sh!t? not cool. Top of Dutch creek is pretty muddy right now. bottom was perfect and a lot of fun. hermosa is overrated and it might as well be a called a fireroad. DO THIS RIDE. the jones creek climb and the bottom descent of Dutch creek make this ride fun. Didn't see one person until Hermosa.

Blackhawk pass from the upper Hermosa trailhead: Do This one no matter what! One of the best rides in the USA. Dont' puss out. Start at upper hermosa and climb Bolam pass. Do this one alone you'll have a blast! just don't get hurt. I even walked some uphills just after the lake. Hey, I was tired and dizzy from the heights. This was only day 2! BlackHawk pass is awesome. hail storm was not good. I got maybe 1 minute at the pass then had to bail. Descent is pure fun. Due to the storms I rode down Hotel draw but had plans to stay on the CT, hit corral draw, then up hermosa to my car, but this was probably better b/c I would've bonked. Still a GREAT ride! ACtually it was so great I decided I wanted that to be the ride I remembered from the San juans, so I went to Crested butte. Change of plans!

Trail 401 from town-- Good ride, probably 30 miles leaving from town. more rain. 401 is very dry now and washboarded badly. Good trail...Yes. Too much hype.....yes. Mildly intermediate, I expected Expert level. still a good trail. MUst ride if you're in CB. Go from town for the extra mileage.

[B]Teocalli Ridge from town: I had ridden 75 miles in 3 days so I wanted an easier day. I tried to find Strand Hill, but passed it. Ended up at the deer creek 3 miles, teocalli ridge 5 miles sign. What the hey, let's do it. Ugghhh. dam that climb sucked. Great views of Pearl pass and the snow on the mountaintops. Some big drops in steep rooty sections. (Just like home!) couldn't clean them all. The steep narrow section through the aspens was rutted and muddy, but ridable. The stuff through the meadow is great! If you were fresh and wanted a long ride, I bet crossing over trail 409 to Cement creek and then back to town would be epic. GREAT RIDE.

I hear Molas Pass is muddy about 5 miles in and supposedly lots of walking due to greasy mud. It rained everyday in the high country from Sept 9-14.

The drive from Durango to Gunnison is a really good road trip. Gunnison to CB gets pretty long....... Hwy 550 to Albuquerque is pretty rad too. you guys live in a great place! If only the winter was shorter..........

That's it. a fkin great trip. Just wish I had hit Corral draw too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You rode some premium trails. This is the first summer in 12 years that I didn't make it out to Colorado. Thanks for reminding me how nice it is!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the TR. Headed that way in a couple of days so good to see some good trail feedback. It's nice to hear I wasn't the only one that had to walk up Pinkerton.
    Glad you had a good trip!

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. Leave it to an asshat from Texas to grab someone else's beer and drink it .

Oh, and EVERYONE pushes most of the climbs on Pinkerton Flagstaff
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Colo RiverRat
    yes, great TR. i will probably be in CB this weekend to catch a couple of rides. maybe Dr's Park, 401, reno/xx/bear/deadman.... too many choices. any other beta on current trail conditions would be great. looks like it has rained on and off in the area all week.
    Klingon

Ride Hard, Die Free

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=eatmorecarp]. Gunnison to CB gets pretty long.......

HUH? Thats like a 20 min drive
    That being said,glad you had fun.And I agree about Hermosa.Never understood why it's so hyped.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDesertRider
    yes, great TR. i will probably be in CB this weekend to catch a couple of rides. maybe Dr's Park, 401, reno/xx/bear/deadman.... too many choices. any other beta on current trail conditions would be great. looks like it has rained on and off in the area all week.
    If you've got someone to help out with a shuttle and a "Latitude 40" map of the area you could do this ride:
    Park one rig at the North Bank CG and then drive to the top of Bear Cr Trail. Ride the loop Reno>Deadman>Flag>Bear>Dr. Park.

You willl not be disapointed.
    -Sage Francis

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmorecarp
    buying beer from a liquor store, lame -5. What's up colorado? medical ganja, but 6% beer from a liquor store?
    Dude... we're just happy we can get it on SUNDAY finally...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    you guys live in a great place! If only the winter was shorter..........
    Next time check out some of the front range trails.... we can ride those all winter long (most years). Nothing like getting a powder day in the morning and then coming back to Denver and MTB'ing in the afternoon.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    [QUOTE=shoulderfu][QUOTE=eatmorecarp]. Gunnison to CB gets pretty long.......

HUH? Thats like a 20 min drive

It took me about 30, but it's so open and straight and just seems to go on forever. I'd see guys road riding it from Gunnison and think how darn boring that must be to ride on a false flat for 30 miles, probably in the wind, on a pretty straight road. Still, if I lived in Gunnison I'd be driving that road a few times a week to get to the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    bet crossing over trail 409 to Cement creek and then back to town would be epic. GREAT RIDE.
    NOOOOO! IMHO 409 is nightmare and should be avoided at all costs.

I was just there at the same time and think I ran into you at the Cement Creek Campground (CCCG). I was in the Gray/Brown campervan.

Here is the beta for the rides I did. The first day I rode from the CCCG to Walrod Gulch to 412 at the end of 412 I went right to get to 405.3A and rode that to get to 409.5. Then went up Farris Creek to 402. From the end of 402 I rode Brush Creek rode to Canal trail (out and back) to Strand Bonus to 409 to the Walrod Gulch Cutoff to CCCG.

412 was no fun. It mainly consisted of a thigh-deep motorcycle rut that went on for over 1000' feet. Mostly hike-a-bike and a struggle at that. If you are doing this and trying to get to 409.5 (which is a worthy destination) go left at the top of 412- extending he ride by going to 405.3A is results in very little quality riding as this section of trail is also chewed up by motorcycles and is not particularly fun. 409.5 is another story. It is a high, fun and fast trail and well worth the effort to get to. Likewise 402 is pretty good, not as sweet as 409.5, but interesting riding, including some challenging technical sections. Canal is one of my favorites- short and sweet. If forgot that the access to Strand is closed off Brush Creek so I had to reverse Canal and go back to Strand Bonus. 409 (Farriis Creek) starts out deceptively fun and slowly draws you into more difficult riding until you are off you bike and cursing the trail. It is steep, rocky and almost impossible to get any rhythm. If you have a long travel bike and are an aerobic and technical animal it maybe ridible, but for mere humans there are much better options in CB. I would sooner ride the road to the highway to get to CCCG then repeat this trail. Walrod Cutoff is really cool though- about 2 miles so mostly downhill riding on smooth single track. In total this ride took almost 7 hours.

On 9/12 I did 403 to 401 with a couple of riders from Denver. These trails have been discussed ad nauseum so I wont go into much detail beyond saying that linking the two makes for a good day. This is the first time I have put them together and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun ride. I did not find the link up to be much harder than just doing 401 and including 403 means you get some quality challenging downhill to balance the long flowing easy singletrack on 401. This took us about 4 and half hours with multiple rests.

9/13 I was going to do Dr.'s Park, but wound up accidently extending it when I missed the turn off and went to Spring Creek. I decided I would extend my time on Dr.'s Park Trail (424) by taking Rocky Brook Rd. (484) to 746 to 746.1A. It was confusing finding the trailhead but I eventually got there. This section of 424 was challenging and interesting riding. The last climb up to the high point at 11,400' was muddy and steep. Most of it might have been ridible if dry, but it is awfully sustained and for me even if dry would have required multiple rests. Going this way turned the ride into a five hour adventure, but I did not see a single mountain biker on the extra section. Lower Dr.'s Park has again been reviewed more times than necessary all I will say is GO DO IT. It is the best trail I have every done in all of the CB area if not the entire state of CO.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken
    NOOOOO! IMHO 409 is nightmare and should be avoided at all costs.
    This man speaks the truth. We included the 409 in our big ride a few years back (Upper -> Upper Upper -> 409 -> Flag -> Bear -> Dead) and WOW was that section a grunt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDesertRider
    2 weeks ago 401 had more stutter bumps before every corner than I can remember in the 13 years I've been here. If you've ridden it before, other trails are currently riding better, IMO. If not, ride 401, that's pretty much the law. Lots of rain last night, but if it dries out a bit things may be close to perfect.

409 does suck; 409.5 does not, not even a little.

Scarp's to the Dyke didn't suck last weekend, either.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr
    2 weeks ago 401 had more stutter bumps before every corner than I can remember in the 13 years I've been here.
    It's a shame that folks who lack the skill to ride fast and break without skiding will not take the time to simply ride slower. I also rode 401 two weeks ago and was blown away by the damage that's been caused by bad braking.
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's a shame that folks who lack the skill to ride fast and break without skiding will not take the time to simply ride slower. I also rode 401 two weeks ago and was blown away by the damage that's been caused by bad braking.
    The trail is a victim of the hype and popularity that surrounds it. Everyone is told that if they only do one trail in CB they must do 401 (I have myself uttered these words). It is not a scary trail so it draws a lot of intermediate riders who simply don't know that it is bad form to lock up your brakes going into a corner. Maybe part of the solution would be to post some signage explaining the need to ride in control and not lock your brakes. Absent some education this problem is only going to get worse and spread to more trails.

Hairshirt Rider
    Sounds like good trip.

Lots of mud, both black and green. Did I mention cows? how about cow sh!t? not cool.
    At least when it is all said and done we get to eat the beasts.