Tigers love pepper...

Durango - close to town recommendations?

Coming down Friday, taking the kid on the Dinosaur train Saturday and staying over Saturday night, driving home first thing Sunday.

Might be able to sneak in a quick ride Saturday evening. Need something close by to maximize ride time. We are staying at Alpen Rose campground.

A little searching brought me results like "Horse Gulch / Sale Barn, Raiders' Ridge / Skyline, Overend Park, Twin Buttes and the lower Colorado Trail"

But looking at the Trails 2000 map it looks like the closest stuff is Animas Mountain, Church Camp and a bunch of "unnamed paths".

Anybody care to give me some suggestions? Will probably bring my Spearfish.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep, you got the list of all the town trail systems. They are all good.

Animas Mountain is the closest to your camp, it's about a 6 mile loop if you go all the way up with a nasty lung-busting climb and a loose rocky downhill. I usually go counter-clockwise, but either way is good. You can tack on extra miles and some fun technical challenges by doing Sailing Hawks, which is the trail that heads north/west of Animas at the top of the first steep climb past the power station.

I am on a Twin Buttes kick right now. Super fun. A couple of different loop options. The trailhead is at the Giant gas station on west hwy 160. There's plenty of signage now that they are doing construction in there, so pretty darn hard to get lost. From your campground, you can ride into town and hop on the paved river trail over to 160. I usually ride from my house in Crestview neighborhood, up 160, do the main trails in TB, and home equals about 16 miles.

Hope this helps.

My $.02 from another local. Screw Animas. It'll be way too hot. From where you're riding from Twin Buttes will be pretty far away for a "quick" ride. 30 mins of road before you hit dirt.

Ride up into town and head right on 32nd to the Animas MTN trailhead. Proceed but hit Sailing Hawks (Dalla Mountain Park) and take that north. Drop down at the far end of the loop to Junction Creek road and take that to falls creek road. Follow out to Church Camp. There is some awesome riding out there, and the final descent will spit you out only miles from your campground on CR 203.

A version of this:

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Church Camp Sweetness near Durango | Times and Records | Strava

PM me for more details.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am a GJ rider, and I found Twin Buttes to be a nice trail system. A good change of pace from the normal Grand Valley riding. I also rode horse gulch (skyline / raiders ridge?). Awesome views and a technical trail. Would love to get another crack at that.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    I am coming in from Texas and I will be there Saturday through Monday. I'm bringing a Rumblefish and a Fuel EX 69er for my wife. We want to do Pergatory (?), but what other trails would be good for intermediate riders?
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

Purgatory (the resort itself) is pretty disappointing as a trail network. In town- check out Dry Fork Loop. It'll be somewhat cooler than Horse Gulch. Mid-Country rides like Hermosa Creek have been open for weeks and are bone dry and blown out. Do-able as an out and back or a shuttle from the resort. The high country stuff is just opening up, although most of those rides are a little above intermediate.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    I think its just more about going up on a lift and then riding down. (Obviously we don't have many lifts in Texas ) We are taking the train up to go zip-lining on Sunday also. We are going to Telluride on Tuesday, and then Fruita later in the week because I have GOT to do the Zippity Do Dah or my life won't be complete!

Looking forward to seeing Durango again. One of our favorite places in the country.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

Tigers love pepper...
    Do any of the shops sell a guidebook or good set of maps? Otherwise I'm gonna try for Ameybrooks suggestion.

All shops should have enough to get you out there and back, but Maria's Bookshop has the best selection. 10th and Main. Across the street from MBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Let's see if I can jump in with a related question...which "local" area has the most overall fun factor (think Fruita or Gooseberry). I've heard of Horse Gulch but never ridden there. I have ridden Hermosa Creek and loved it so we'll probably do that one day as for sure. My biggest 'problem' is my riding partner is my 19 year olds on who is a gravity freak so he's not big on climbing and the altitude does work me over.

Anything else up higher than Hermosa Creek that we could shuttle with Hermosa Creek Tours for a 1 day ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post

Anything else up higher than Hermosa Creek that we could shuttle with Hermosa Creek Tours for a 1 day ride?
    Hey k2rider1964,

There are amazing trails up above Hermosa Creek Trail (and beyond) that Hermosa Tours can shuttle you to. Check in with them and they can show you the good stuff.

Rip it and have fun!
    www.singletrackmapping.com
    Ft. Collins & Lyons – Golden – Buffalo Creek – Durango – Phil’s World – Crested Butte