mtbr member

Durango 2nd week October? & where to stay

Wife and I are tossing around vacation ideas.... thinking about a road trip through Utah and staying a few days & nights in Durango then driving back to southern CA.

Will it be too cold in 2nd week of October? snow? will we miss the aspens?

If this is a good idea, we are looking for a resonable place to stay Hotel or Condo in town.

any help is appreciated!

XC racer
    May 2005
    Hopefully someone local will chime in about the weather particulars. I've only been to Durango during the summer months but I'm pretty sure early October is likely to still be snow-free.
    Just got back from team trip there and we rented a big house just north of town. There are lots of similar smaller places available, plus lots of both chain and mom and pop hotels/motels. I'd suggest doing a bit of preliminary research on Expedia, Travelocity, etc for one of those, shouldn't be a busy time of year.

Team Velveeta™

aspen will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    Wife and I are tossing around vacation ideas.... thinking about a road trip through Utah and staying a few days & nights in Durango then driving back to southern CA.

Will it be too cold in 2nd week of October? snow? will we miss the aspens?

If this is a good idea, we are looking for a resonable place to stay Hotel or Condo in town.

any help is appreciated!
    I stayed a couple nights in DGO about a month ago. Stayed at Siesta Motel, 3475 Main Ave. I chose it for the price and Trip Advisor reviews. Only negative is that the Queen bed in my room was totally worn out. I have read some reviews that said that they just replaced beds, but apparently not in my room. So that might be something to mention when you call. Very clean. Dated motel, but updated nicely and clean.

I'd say it's pretty much a 100% chance that the aspen leaves will all be on the ground. You may find a stand here and there with a few leaves, but for most of CO it's the last two weeks of September that aspen are peaking. And it tends to be very fleeting. They start to turn early in September, they are ablaze mid to late in the month, and by mid October the trees are bare. Not like in the midwest or new england where the color season lasts for a month or more. Timing can vary a little, but the peak of the color is quite short.

Weather in October is quite variable. Sometimes it's just as nice as can be, cool and crisp. Sometimes the high country is still dry. But other years a storm or two will leave snow up high. You can almost count on there being rideable terrain below 9,000 feet though, and there is a ton of riding below 9 around DGO.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    High country (over 10K) may have snow, but it will go away pretty fast in most cases. Snowstorms will definitely be possible at altitude, but small chance in town. Last year mid October was great for aspens around the Purgatory area. In particular Elbert creek was awesome. High country the leaves are generally over by then (near Silverton), but depends on the moisture we get. You'll have good riding somewhere, Hermosa area may be the ticket, or in town. You'll just have to see, but it will be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll have to dissagree with you Tom on the leaves. Although on the way out, this was last year on Elbert creek October 15th. The year before on the 20th, it was a little less then this, but still there.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ds1bush9 View Post
    I'll have to dissagree with you Tom on the leaves. Although on the way out, this was last year on Elbert creek October 15th. The year before on the 20th, it was a little less then this, but still there...
    Maybe it's later in the San Juans. I'm in Salida, and the leaves in our area maybe turn earlier and drop earlier. Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Age you know.

So good deal for the OP. Could be the perfect time for aspen viewing.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    I would agree, above 10,000 feet could be messy. The problem is not the snow itself, but mud, lots of freeze/thaw.
    But take heart, there is more than enough riding below 10K for a couple of days and the weather at that altitude should be great!
    There are lots of threads discussing many of the trails in the area. If you want to park once in Durango and ride from there, look into Horse Gulch and Ewing Mesa, Test Tracks, Colorado Trail head, Dry Fork loop, and Twin Buttes. All these are easily ridden from town, none of them suck.
    I'd only get back into my car to drive over to Phil's World, cause that wouldn't suck either
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage