mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Downhill Bike Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for DH bike recommendations for strictly lift assisted riding. I have been riding an XC bike for about a year and think I am ready to start riding DH this upcoming summer.

My budget is around $2000. I really like the Specialized Status 2 or Demo 8, but I'm worried that may be too much bike for me. I am looking for more experienced opinions on what bikes would be better for me.

I will be riding resorts within 2 hours of Denver once summer gets here. I'm not well versed in tricks and don't have much style, but I do like to ride as fast as I feel comfortable. I have dirt jumping experience, but still need to get more comfortable on a mountain bike.

With my budget I don't want to have to worry about upgrading anytime soon. I want a reliable, fully capable bike so I don't have to worry about the bike holding me back. I know that is not the case most of the time, but if I know the bike is capable then I don't have an excuse.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    On that budget-check craigslist. But they probably won't be in the best of shape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    With a background in dirt jumping I'd say to try and track down a used Transition Blindside or TR250. Also depends on what resort you'll be riding most, the difference in terrain at Keystone and WP is pretty vast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Downhill Bike Recommendations

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ice been searching non stop since I posted. Originally I could decide if I wanted to go for a FR or DH.

I tried to go by what I was going to be riding this summer. Probably a lot of winter park and keystone.

I ended up buying a 2013 Spec Status 2 from winter park with season pass. The bike seems to be in good condition, obviously used though(paint chips, nicks), but I think it should be a good first DH bike.

I'm itching to get out and ride it. I can't wait til the resorts open up.