mtbr member

Dolores route suggestions

Visiting family for a few days. Coming from Flagstaff and bringing my bike, looking for some 15-30 mile rides to get the flavor for the area. Looking to start riding from town but I'm willing to ride more / drive to get to trails. Suggestions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Stop by Kokopelli bike shop in Cortez and get a Big Loop Trail map.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member

Thanks, I have seen that map on the Internet, looks really nice. I have some some research on forums, strava, etc.... tons of options around the area.... so was really looking for specific suggestions of "best" or "favorites"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Phils world east of Cortez. and Boggy draw north of Dolores.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Boggy Draw is your best bet for riding from town. Short ride up the paved hill and then you can put in 30+ miles of singletrack depending on how many loops you want to ride. Stoner Mesa is about 20 miles away and totally worth riding. I haven't been up this year to make sure that the trees have all been cut out which can be a major problem on this route. If you come through Cortez during business hours (8-5) stop by the Osprey Packs office and we can help with directions or routes.

mtbr member

Sweet, thanks! Will do boggy draw for sure. Stoner Mesa will be hard to pass up too :-)

mtbr member
    OspreyPacks-I will also be visiting from out of town this summer. I've riddin Boggy Draw twice, once the 35 Mile Epic route. But how do you suggest i add Italians Loop please; counterclockwise from Mavericks??

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgraw67 View Post
    OspreyPacks-I will also be visiting from out of town this summer. I've riddin Boggy Draw twice, once the 35 Mile Epic route. But how do you suggest i add Italians Loop please; counterclockwise from Mavericks??
    That is the standard way to ride Italian Canyon ( counter clockwise from the first turn off Mavericks loop)

Personally, I like to continue past the first turn for Italian off of Mavericks loop. At the cattle pond where you ride across the dam, there is a faint trail that goes off to the right just as you drop off the dam. This links back to the end of Italian where you can take a right and ride Italian clockwise. I think the trail flows better this direction and you get better views of the La Plata mountains since you spend more time riding towards them than away from them. Watch out for other riders since most will be going the other direction, but traffic is generally so minimal that I would be surprised if you see anyone.

Enjoy! It is a great trail.

mtbr member
    Thank you kindly. I'll will definitely do that.