Thread: Dogs

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Dogs

I will kick and run through your dog if they dont move.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    And God/Allah/Mr. Karma will be watching when you do.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005

bikexor
    Depends.
    Last edited by derockus; 08-17-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Its not the dogs fault. Kick the owner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i don't bring my dogs on trails, except for short >1hr rides in town.

but. god forbid someone excersing their dogs ruins your flow.

so, not only will you run my dog over, but you'll post about it on the internet?

ooohhhh! skeery!

mtbr member
    your rant is better suited for the Front Range forum...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    People take their dogs to Lunch Loop trails, it is a fact. Some folks ride with their dogs and others hike/run with them. It will never change unless they ban dogs from those trails. I for one, hope that they do not. I have lived in GJ for 29 years and have ridden the local trails since I was in the 5th grade and I am out at Lunch Loops between 4 and 7 days a week year round riding multiple loops and using the trails at many different times of the day. Maybe I have just been lucky, but not once in all of those years have I ever had a dog related problem. I am always more worried about other riders, runners and hikers wearing IPods that are turned up so loud that they do not hear me approaching. I also worry more about other riders who refuse to yield to uphill riders or who lay their bikes across the trail as if they are the only ones out there. I ride with my dogs at Lunch loops often. I don't worry about them being run over or kicked because they are great trail dogs and in all the years I have taken them out there they haven't even had a close call with that sort of thing.

I love to ride really, really, really fast and Lunch Loops are my favorite trails hands-down. I am out there doing specific training for races most of the year. However, being lucky enough to live here in GJ I have never been so upset by someone's dogs to waste the time to bi#ch about it on the trail or here.

But... if you are out there listening to your IPod with the volume at 11 or if you don't yield right of way when I am going uphill or if you and your buddies lay their bikes across the trail or if I catch you sanitizing the trails then I will probably say something to you, right then and there, to your face and then go on my way and not waste any more of my energy on it because I have more important things to do, like ride my fu**king bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have 2 trail dogs, they're trained to get out of your way when you say GET! The more tech the trail, the better they like it. Just say Gooseberry Mesa and they get excited.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalsmile View Post
    I'm thinking two things, one you've never ridden into a dog before with your bike or seen someone that has, two you need to take a page from this guy's book, seems to me he understands much more than you do.

It's about riding your bike! Isn't it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i love you all and you're the type of people i want to run into (not literally) on the trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalsmile View Post
    Even with an illegal smile?

mtbr member
    Cool. So I can bring a big fat cigar out and blow smoke on the trail too.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You better hope you pass me first. And if you do you better hope my 90lb Dob thinks your trying to be friendly. Real men kick right

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i had my first dog encounter last week. riding a double track fast, 2 guys older 60-70 coming up...I give them the "yipyip" and one moves over behind the other, I accelerate. all the sudden a small beagle type dogs runs out infront of me from the grass ( i could not see the dog) I lift my front wheel because I want to run it over and think I can't avoid it. Some how I do avoid and the dog starts chasing me and trying to bite my foot/leg. Dude is yelling at the dog, I am cranking hard to get away and I do. If i didn't think I coulda out run the dog. I woulda unclipped and kicked it with my metal cleat for my own protection. Dogs have to be on leashes so not my fault in any way. I ride a lot and this was the first encounter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd braun View Post
    the dog starts chasing me and trying to bite my foot/leg. Dude is yelling at the dog, I am cranking hard to get away and I do. If i didn't think I coulda out run the dog.
    I had a similar encounter riding the fire road back to the Kokopelli trailhead after doing Mary's/Lion's/Troy Built. I was blowing thru the double-track when I passed an older walking couple with a dog, and the dog took to chasing me for about a mile-and-a-half. I give the dog credit for keeping up for that long, but I didn't want to stop to find out if the dog was friendly or not.

Most dogs move out of the way when they see you coming on singletrack, sometimes you've got to slow way down to give them time to move. It sucks when you've got to get off your bike when they don't move though. I don't get mad, but if I were to, I'd imagine that I 'd probably kick the owner first before kicking the dog.

Model of Grace and Tact
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd braun View Post
    Dogs have to be on leashes so not my fault in any way. I ride a lot and this was the first encounter.
    Where do you think dogs have to be on leashes?

Free your heel...
    Every dog owner thinks their dog is not the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post
    your rant is better suited for the Front Range forum...
    So very true! I'll be a durango local very soon coming from the front range. I've had my fill of complainers. After dealing with JeffCo open space BS, a dog blowing my flow will be pleasant encounter. I love dogs.