suvlako

Dher at heart seeks most fun way to link GJ trails?

Gonna be coming out in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good trails that can be linked up for lots of ROI. I don't mind climbing but wanna get paid back for it. As the title suggests, I live for the downs(long ones preferrably) but will put in the pain for it. Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. Only bringing out our 6" bikes(Enduro). Pretty adept at tech gnar riding. Would I be better served riding Free Lunch on a big bike? Or are the trannies and hits pretty smooth?

P.S.S Any good restaurants recommendations would be appreciated too.
    P.S.S.S Just kidding. That's it for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A 6" bike will handle everything we have in the valley. Try starting out at the top of the ribbon trail. Then you can do free lunch trail from there.

suvlako
    I noticed that free lunch is really short (like a mile if my memory serves me right). Can it be shuttled to do it a few times?

Tigers love pepper...
    No shuttle really, but if you park up on little park road you'll have a pretty short climb up lunch line. After you finish you just hang a right and head up again on Eagle's. you can just do laps, it's not bad on a 6 inch bike. But consider doing what mtndude suggested shuttle up to the ribbon and come down and hit up Free Lunch, pucker up etc... Hop on the shuttle again and then have them drop you off at lunch line and do it again or hit up Holy Cross or Gunny Loop.

deez nuts

Shuttle

Is there an actual shuttle service to the top of Ribbon? If so, any recommendations on which one to use?
    Thanks

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Here are two rides I'd suggest - easily done in one day if you can get two shuttles. You could do the first one as a loop from the parking lot if you don't mind climbing - I did it on my lunch break the other day.

All-mountain bikes rule at the Lunch Loops.

Free Lunch > Pucker Up > Moto
    The best shuttle-able, rowdy descent combo with the least climbing within the LL. Access from Little Park Road/Tabeguache intersection. ~400ft climbing/~1000ft descending.

Ribbon > Gunny > Clunker (Up) > Miramonte North Rim > Leftover Lane (Up) > Kurt's Lane
    Solid "all-mountain" shuttle route with emphasis on tech. Access from Ribbon TH. Up and down, -2,000 ft elevation change.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Tigers love pepper...
    I've seen a sign along LP road while riding up for "Ribbon Taxi" or "Ribbon Shuttle" but I goolged it and can't fnid a phone number.

Grass roots had been running one as well, I've never tried it.
    (970) 243-2453
    Their website is http://www.grassroots-cycles.com/ but I can't seem to get it to come up right now.

suvlako
    Thanks for the suggestions. It was cold so we waited till early PM to start. Today we rode from the house on Little park Rd: Road > lunchline > Free Lunch> Holy Cross > Holey Buckets > Road back to the house. Had a great time. The dirt was SO good! Hookin turns was a blast. Very foreign to us Az riders. We're used to riding on ball bearings...
    Tomorrow it looks like Fruita is on the agenda for tomorrow. Plan is Prime cut > Kessel > Western Zipp North > Down Zippedy. Good one? If we're not spent, we'll hit Mary's > Horse thief > Mary's> Moore fun. Es Bueno?

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good spot to stay. Try redbikeretreat.com for a cool 2br place(really one bedroom with a pull out couch in the living room. 2nd bedroom has a futon that might fit a child or "vertically challenged" person. Place has incredible views of GJ lights at night and the bottom of gunny trial from the awesome wrap around deck.

Cheers!!

Tigers love pepper...
    If you like catching a little air do this in Fruita instead:
    Prime cut -> PBR, back up prime then hit Joes ridge -> Mojos. Then maybe finish off with Kessels. Zippety is a blast but zip off/western zip are "meh", I rode them last weekend just to get away from people. On an AM bike you should really do the newer stuff.

That's a long day to finish with Moore fun. Well, would be for me anyway. If you're spent just hit the frontage road back.

suvlako
    Great rides yesterday. Did Prime Cut > Front Side > Zippetty > Back up road > PBR > back up road to Joe's connector > Up Joe's > down Joe's & Mojo. Fun rides. Unforunately a local crashed on Joe's on the jump after the steep downhill section. Search and Rescue came out to put him on a backboard. We helped carry the board up a bit of the trail to the Side by side that was waiting for him. Really hope he is OK. Speedy recovery man! Thanks for the suggestions Cobi!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have ridden alot of trails on a 7" travel AS-X which is a 46lb beast. Uphills weren't the greatest but anything flat or downslope was killer on that bike. Have a 5" travel Fuel EX 5 and can tell the difference between the two bikes when it comes to flats/downslopes - the Fuel EX5 after ripping down PBR my hands are tingling and sore whereas the AS-X, my hands feel great and fresh.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    the Fuel EX5 after ripping down PBR my hands are tingling and sore whereas the AS-X, my hands feel great and fresh.
    Maybe loosen up the death grip? Or have your fork rebuilt?

You hands shouldn't be tingling after PBR - it's pretty darn smooth. Make sure you aren't carrying your bodyweight in your hands, I always say about 80% should be in your pedals, and 10 and 10 on your saddle and grips.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM