Sled of Lead.

Crestted Butte Rides - need suggestions

I have 3 days to ride in Crestte Butte next week.
    What are the "must do" trails? I figure trail 401 for sure. Any others?

Also, can anyone recommend any good maps or trail guides I can pick up while in town?

I also planned on doing a Monarch Crest shuttle in Salida while on my way back to Demver. Can anyone recommend shuttle services in town? Names and contact info would be great.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just got back. I did reno/flag/bear/doctors. Amazing series of trails! Also did a few hike-a-bike's near strand hill (i think?). Definitely check out doctors...so butter!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Add to the other trails Snodgrass and the 401 trail. Plenty to ride there!! Have fun.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    I was there last week. Reno/flag/bear/ deadman was the highlight for me.

Did the whole 401. parked off the road just past the gothic campground rode up did the 401 all the way to the bottom (copper gulch?) then back to the car. If you're pressed for time I'd do the upper 401 to (rustlers gulch) then go do another ride.

Reno/flag/bear/deadman was great. Can't say enough good about it. I saw one person at the top of the dirt road climb. They continued on Reno divide trail I think and a hiker while climbing up the backside of deadman. That was it. Seems a bunch of people climb deadman from the trailhead and just come back down if you're looking for shorter options. There were a bunch of people at the creek about to go up deadman.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Go ahead and call me a jaded local, but RFBD just isn't what it used to be. The motos are really getting after it and some of the best turns on Bear in particular are simply getting shortcutted. I found it a little depressing the last time I was on it.

Doctor's is a must do. 409 and a half is the trail that few visitors bother with that should be on the short list. The views of 401 with the ride quality of doctor's. My wife had some friends visit from Boulder last summer and we took them on 401, RFBD, Doctor's, and 409 1/2. All of them said 409 1/2 was their favorite. Or if you want to get in the alpine, some variation of 583 to star pass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ I agree with CBMTBR. RFBD is a great ride, but not one of CB's best. His suggestions are spot on, and I'll add one more- Strand Hill. It's a shorter ride that you can make longer, but the downhill is super fun and the views are great too. You can easily ride it in an hour if you do the basic loop.

I have no idea why anyone would ride up Deadman's just to come down those switchbacks. With all the amazing rides in the CB area, that would probably be last on my list to do.

As for a map- check out the Latitude 40 Map for the CB-Aspen area. Great detail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just got back yesterday. Snodgrass, Teocali and Deer Creek may still be closed. Lupine and Lower Loop are easier yet still fantastic. 401 is THE can't miss trail. Strand Hill is a great 3 or 4 mile doubletrack climb followed by a killer 3 or 4 mile downhill that anyone can negotiate. The free magazines in town and in bike shops have good ride suggestions. I also loved the Evolution bike park. Almost all DH sections have B lines if you choose not to hit the jumps. All day lift tickets were 30 bucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    High Alpine Shuttle Service is the company that will take care of you for the crest trail. Make sure you do the rainbow trail at the end of the crest even if you are cooked!

Sled of Lead.
    Thanks Everyone!
    Those are all great suggestions.
    Can anyone recommend a good website to get GPS tracks for these trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't do GPS tracks, but with the lat 40 map (CB/Taylor Park) and my guide, you'll be fine. There's a map of sorts on that link as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is all good info for me.

I was up there last week, looking at rental apartments for 2013. Of course, while I was there, thieves were in my house, gutting my life. Well, now I have less to pack. :-(

I move up to a carriage house near Meridian Lake / Washington Gulch this coming weekend! But, all I know for riding is 401 and Gothic area. Assuming insurance pays out for my Giant Trance 2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post

409 and a half is the trail that few visitors bother with that should be on the short list. .
    I did 409 and a half a few years back and thought it was a really high quality trail. My only issue is that the way I got to it (and back to my camp in Cement Creek) was a *****. I went up Walrod and then wound up on this steep trail with a rut that was about hip deep. I pushed through that and then got on another trail that was still pretty steep and all torn up from motos - it really wasn't much fun either. There were a few sections that were ridable, but not enough to make the hike a bike worth it. 409 and a half went by way too quick, and then I made the mistake of trying to get back to Cement Creek via 409 - I wanted to avoid going to town and coming back on the highway, but it would have been quicker and more pleasant to do the road work and not suffer throuhg 409 -which starts out pleasant enough and then gradually ramps up to uber-tech and unrideable for me.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make getting to and from 409 and a half I more enjoyable ride I would welcome them.

mtbr member
    Snodgrass > 403 > 401 is one of my favorite loops there.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken View Post
    I did 409 and a half a few years back and thought it was a really high quality trail. My only issue is that the way I got to it (and back to my camp in Cement Creek) was a *****. I went up Walrod and then wound up on this steep trail with a rut that was about hip deep. I pushed through that and then got on another trail that was still pretty steep and all torn up from motos - it really wasn't much fun either. There were a few sections that were ridable, but not enough to make the hike a bike worth it. 409 and a half went by way too quick, and then I made the mistake of trying to get back to Cement Creek via 409 - I wanted to avoid going to town and coming back on the highway, but it would have been quicker and more pleasant to do the road work and not suffer throuhg 409 -which starts out pleasant enough and then gradually ramps up to uber-tech and unrideable for me.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make getting to and from 409 and a half I more enjoyable ride I would welcome them.
    This is how I usually ride it: 409 and a half

That's probably the reason it isn't popular- the loops get weird if you just can't stand the thought of riding the highway. I figure it's 20 minutes of easy spinning so it has never bothered me. The climbing once you turn off 412 onto 405 is steep, but it's certainly rideable. Sounds to me like you ended up on the upper parts of doubletop somehow, which are definitely moto-trashed.