Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Crested Butte Riding Season

I have decided to try and get a job in CB this summer and was wondering what the riding season was like, weather wise. It seem like the high country stuff is july through september/october generally. How many days are actually rideable when everything is open? Do afternoon storms close trails frequently?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I rode Crested Butte last September and the locals told me it pretty much rains almost every afternoon there so don't let the rain chances keep you from coming. And it rained at 5pm that day as we were driving back to Fruita . The 401 was mostly in great shape - a few good puddles here and there but nothing that would be considered a washout. Heck there was a small stream crossing the road that led back to where we parked once we got to the bottom of the trail so had to hike through the woods to find a spot we could cross.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Definitely more interested in how often trails actually close due to weather. I don't mind riding in the rain.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    trails never close here because of rain. Last years monsoon we had more precip than normal, but it will never keep you from riding. Usually a t-storm or shower doesn't last too long and a lot of times it makes the trails perfectly tacky. During monsoon season we'll usually have clear skies and nice weather until mid/late afternoon, so plenty of great riding is had almost everyday.

As far as the season, the first trails will open up sometime in May (upper loop, lupine, deer creek ect Think lower altitude/south facing trails). Hartman rocks 30mi down the road will open in April. Usually the last snow will fall sometime in mid/late May, but will usually melt out the same day. High alpine trails (401, 403, Star pass, ect) Are usually good sometime in July.

June is usually fairly dry
    Monsoons start up in July and last until sometime in Sept.
    Later in Sept is usually dry, snow can start to fall in Oct.

Between Hartman rocks and trails further up valley in CB the riding season is usually April - November/December. During a bad snow year Hartmans can sometimes be ridden all year round. Hope all of this info helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Great having all that info summed up in one post. Now I just have to find a job.

mtbr member
    It always rains about 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon but usually doesn't last that long. Trails dry out very quickly.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrickb View Post
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Great having all that info summed up in one post. Now I just have to find a job.
    a few places to look for jobs. If you're looking for service industry jobs, just walk into any bar/restaurant and get an app, most of them are always hiring, especially for the summer tourist season.

The Crested Butte News

Available Jobs

RMBL - Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory

gnar, brah
    BDKeg nailed it with the riding season. The main concern during the summer storms isn't the rain, but the exposure to lightning on high ridges and above treeline.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza View Post
    BDKeg nailed it with the riding season. The main concern during the summer storms isn't the rain, but the exposure to lightning on high ridges and above treeline.
    +1

definitely a huge concern during monsoon season. I try to plan rides in the morning and be done by noon or early afternoon on weekend. during the week it's a game of studying the local weather radar and trying to dodge any weather on after work rides. The storms are at least hit and miss, but I get spooked easily with any lightning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have some experience riding above tree level. Can you safely ride cbmr in most of the rains, is that low enough?

Rock n' Roller
    I have some experience riding above tree level. Can you safely ride cbmr in most of the rains, is that low enough?
    Most trails on CBMR are throughout CB are low enough that it can be done, but you aren't completely out of the woods in the case of lightning. Rain - no problem. If you see lightning or hear thunder, it's best to play it safe and absolutely avoid anything above tree line. Unless you plan on climbing up CMBR, however, there won't be much choice as they shut the lifts down when lightning is sighted.

The trails never close due to rain, but you just have to be smart about it - like anything. And, to be honest, the rain is never really something to worry about. I look forward to the daily rains. They refresh the trails and keep things nice and tacky. If there's lightning...wait. It will pass. What's terrifying is June when it doesn't rain...evil, evil moon dust.

Rock n' Roller
    And as for jobs, good workers often have too much work. You'll work hard, but I've never seen someone willing to work hard struggle to find a job. Most locals have several. Definitely check out CB news. And check out CBMR's website as well. Butte 66 is opening this summer and there are a lot of perks with the job (free ski/downhill pass, discounts, etc).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This thread has been really helpful making me feel comfortable about knowing what I'm getting into. I'm a bartender, and have already gotten a lot of positive feedback from the area. Looks like this is happening!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So far I've heard back from the last steep, secret stash, ginger house, and elevation's restaurant. Seems like these are all in the top 1/3 of the places in cb. Any one of these worth really gunning for the job over the others?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Stash and the steep are probably the top 2, followed by the ginger and then 9380. Steep is probably the busiest place during off-seasons, if you're hoping to stay busy then.

Rain is generally fine, but it also depends on where. You'll only get caught once on something like flag-bear with sticky clay mud to know what I mean.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post
    Stash and the steep are probably the top 2, followed by the ginger and then 9380. Steep is probably the busiest place during off-seasons, if you're hoping to stay busy then.

Rain is generally fine, but it also depends on where. You'll only get caught once on something like flag-bear with sticky clay mud to know what I mean.
    +1 stash and steep

9380 would definitely be hit and miss, plus the fact that they could never get their upper management in order, it's still a mess there.

Rock n' Roller
    As a former bartender at 9380, I agree with BDKeg. You make a lot of money, but there are a lot of management issues. I quit there this winter after two years of drama. If you can handle the drama, the money is awesome, though. I just got a bit too old for it.

The Stash is awesome. The owner is opening up a new restaurant on June 1 called Bones. Steep is also awesome. Look at Brick Oven too. With that patio, they are hopping in summer. Maxwell's is okay as well. Worked there for a few years. Good money, more drama, but good food and at $40 bucks an entree, the tips are rocking.

Looks like you are from Ohio? I am Oberlin/Elyria area - born and raised. Message me when you get into town. We shall ride fun sassy trails, either in CB or Gunnison, snow depending

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't live in CB but I live in the high country. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is when it rains, it's friggin' COLD. There are no pleasant, singin' in the rain type showers in the high country and it often comes down in buckets with hail. While everyone is different in what they feel the need to carry, I always have leg & arm warmers, long finger gloves, and a fairly burly rain jacket in my pack. I will almost always try to time my rides to avoid the afternoon rain if possible which if you're fairly flexible isn't that hard to do. As everyone has said, it usually doesn't last that long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There is no management that could possibly be worse than my current job. I thought I read Elevation was under new management, don't know if that made any difference, though. Definitely excited for the local restaurant/bar scene. Looks like there shouldn't be a shortage of interesting places to work.

Looking forward to getting in some rides with you guys. I got out for the first time today riding around my neighborhood, and lets just say I've got a ways to go to get my legs back for the summer.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You will have a much better time in Crested Butte WITHOUT a job. Just sayin'...

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    You will have a much better time in Crested Butte WITHOUT a job. Just sayin'...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Sage advice right there...

mtbr member
    I agree, F the job! CB would be a blast with a $2-3mil trust fund, barely enough to buy a house, and a townie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I agree, F the job! CB would be a blast with a $2-3mil trust fund, barely enough to buy a house, and a townie.
    I think you might be on to something.

Team Velveeta™
    I think you might be on to something.
    Dude, exactly! Excellent idea! Let's all get trust funds and move to CB. Who's with me?!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast