mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Crested Butte questions

Hi all -

Will be staying in CB from 7/12-7/19 and would appreciate a little advice. I've rode bikes all over our great country but CB has eluded me until this summer.

Will post my questions in on thread to avoid clogging the forum - here goes...

1. My 8 year old daughter and I backpack every year. She's very fit, and we've backpacked all over CO together before. We'll only have one night to camp in the CB area this trip (staying in town with wife/young son), but will likely start hiking mid-morning, and would like to be back to trailhead/base camp by mid-morning the next day. I'd like something alongside a creek/stream/river for fishing, but am open aside from that. Suggestions?

2. I love throwing a 3 weight fly rod into my Osprey and fly fishing while biking. Suggestions on trails conducive to this?

3. The entire area is new to our family - any suggestions for other activities (hiking, etc) for active young families?

Thanks in advance all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Off the top of my head, I would maybe suggest Copper Lake for the overnight trip. Trailhead is near Gothic. My wife put together a hiking guide, that might help with some other choices?

A lot of rides follow creeks/rivers and would have good fishing along the way. Spring creek seems especially popular on the way to Doctor Park. But you could fish the East on the way to 401, or Brush Creek. I think there are some small fish along reno/flag/bear as well. Lots of choices.

Definitely check out the Trailhead Children's museum and some of the other activities at the base area for the kiddos. Maybe rent a SUP and go to lake Irwin (there is hiking there too). Lower loop to the Oh Be Joyful area seems good for kids- short hikes or just throwing rocks into the river, since that's what kids like to do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks so much and really like your wife's hiking guide - copper creek it is for us.

Is there plenty of dispersed camping along the trail and/or lake? Are campfires permitted in these zones?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrotsky View Post
    2. I love throwing a 3 weight fly rod into my Osprey and fly fishing while biking. Suggestions on trails conducive to this?
    Here are a few suggestions/notes in addition to cbmtr suggested which are great suggestions.

Cement Creek near Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans has browns, brook and cutthroat trout.

Spring Creek + Spring Creek Reservoir near Doctors Park: The res is stocked and has Browns/Rainbows and Brook trout.

Brush Creek on the way to Teo Ridge has Brook Trout. Definitely one of the more beautiful areas to fish with wildflowers.

Dyke Trail: Lake Irwin is stocked and has rainbows and brooks. A bit further down the road is also Lost Lake which is also stocked with Rainbows and Brooks. If you're looking for something a bit more primitive try the Ruby Anthracite Creek nearby, the road crosses the creek right near horse ranch park at the end of Dyke Trail, i believe it has rainbows, browns, brook and cutthroat.

Obviously there are the obvious access points on the Taylor/East and Gunnison rivers closer to Almont/Gunnison which makes for a nice afternoon fishing bigger water after a morning ride which is another option.

If you decide to keep some fish for dinner check the rules/regs are certain streams and lakes. Some areas are catch and release only, ect.
    http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Rul...re/fishing.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Directly around the lake, there are FS designated camping sites. I think that campfires are not allowed. Plenty of other places to camp in the area though.

Another thought, and actually more scenic, is Oh-Be-Joyful creek and you could try to make it to Blue Lake. Almost certainly less people camping here than Copper Lake. Flat enough to camp along the way.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    If you decide to keep some fish for dinner check the rules/regs are certain streams and lakes. Some areas are catch and release only, ect...
    As a general rule, if I'm going to eat trout that I catch, I discriminate toward eating brook trout. They reproduce too quickly, and especially in really high creeks will be competing with each other for the limited amount of food that actually is available for that short season at high elevation.

They are the least favorite of mine to actually catch, mainly because they are usually pretty small. But if you do get into one 14" or more they fight hard. Very good eating though. I think rainbows are usually a little tastier, but brook are very good.

You'll see bumper stickers in Colorado "I Eat Brook Trout"
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    As a general rule, if I'm going to eat trout that I catch, I discriminate toward eating brook trout. They reproduce too quickly, and especially in really high creeks will be competing with each other for the limited amount of food that actually is available for that short season at high elevation.
    yea i believe statewide limit for brook is like 10 fish at a time, definitely numerous and out compete in streams with native cutthroat. I need one of those bumper stickers