No mames guey

Crested Butte - Only one ride

I'm headed to CB tomorrow for a big family get together. I will only be able to get out for one ride between Friday and Sunday. If you could only do one ride, what would you do?

About me:
    - Will bring my 29" FS
    - Immediate to Advanced
    - Looking for something in the 15 - 20 range
    - Live at 7k, so altitude shouldn't be an issue
    - Like flowy single track, but I'm not scared by tech

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Dr.'s Park. or Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans

401 is considered to be the Mega Classic. You can't beat it for views, but the riding is not as good as the above.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken View Post
    Dr.'s Park. or Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans

401 is considered to be the Mega Classic. You can't beat it for views, but the riding is not as good as the above.
    +1 ...couldn't have said it any better. The only views on Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans are on the first uphill near the top of Reno road, but the downhills are amazing.

mtbr member
    +1. Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's is my personal fav. Dr.s Park and 401 are also very good, for differnt reasons.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Ride Reno/Flag/Doctor Park as a loop, climb up Bear to Rosebud? descent Deadmans.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    Ride Reno/Flag/Doctor Park as a loop, climb up Bear to Rosebud? descent Deadmans.
    Now that would be a good sized ride! I recently rode up rosebud, thats a grind. The views from cement mtn made it a worthwhile grind.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman is my favorite as well. Adding in Rosebud/Cement Mtn. makes it a big dog ride.

I've heard locals refer to the Cement Mtn. trail as "The Sound of Music' which is quite apt.

It was awfully great Saturday, even if we skipped Rosebud.

jummo

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm headed there this weekend for the first time. Looking forward to trying out some of the trails suggested here.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish
    200? Gary Fisher Kaitai

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would at least try to get out twice. Get up at 6am if you have to.
    Deer Creek can be ridden from town as a loop (ride up Brush Creek Rd to start then end up back in town ~3 hrs later)

The other rides require a drive, and are worth it but driving will consume more family time, and less biking time.

401k can easily be shuttled for a less than 1 hr descent, with astounding views for the car passengers as well. Emerald lake is beautiful, and so is the drive to the top of the pass.

No mames guey

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I made the suggestions to my group to ride Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans, but I was unfortunately overruled. Instead we ended up riding CBMR, which was a hoot. I hit all the trails except for Psycho Rocks and really enjoyed Frequency and Westside (for different reasons). I can't wait for my next trip.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73 View Post
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I made the suggestions to my group to ride Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans, but I was unfortunately overruled. Instead we ended up riding CBMR, which was a hoot. I hit all the trails except for Psycho Rocks and really enjoyed Frequency and Westside (for different reasons). I can't wait for my next trip.
    The CBMR trails are some of the most underrated and fun trails close to town, easy access to trails + beer afterwards. Glad you had a good time, come back soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73 View Post
    Glad you had a good time.

You should reconsider your choice of friends as they are slackers.

CB has an awesome MTB scene no matter where you ride.

jummo

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    Glad you had a good time.

You should reconsider your choice of friends as they are slackers.

CB has an awesome MTB scene no matter where you ride.

jummo
    You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.