mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Crested Butte- One Ride want to make as much of it as I can

So I will be in Crested Butte next week with my family and I have a pass for one full day of riding. I want to make the most it. I have ridden most everything near town but have not ridden R/F/B/D or Doctors Park yet. In looking at the maps I think it would not be to hard to connect the two and make for one awesome ride, although one exhausting ride to boot. My bonus is that I can get dropped off and picked up where ever.

So I was thinking of getting dropped off at the standard trail head for R/F/B/D and do most of that loop. Then once I get to the intersection of Bear Creek and Deadman take a left and head towards Doctors Park via the rest of 420 and then it looks like its 423 over to 554 and down Doctors. I would then arrange for a pick up near the Doctors Park Trail Head.

Does this idea make sense and is it worth it in your opinion if you have ridden these trails before?

Is it worth missing Deadman to get in Doctor?

Any other ideas?

Also, do you know if you get cell service near the Doctors park Trail Head? Ideally I would just call my ride when I am done. Or would I have to ride out back to the highway?

From town - upper upper over to Strand. Over 409 into Cement Creek. R/F/B down Bear all the way to Spring Creek Road. Up and over Doctors. Picked up a the resort. Big day, but so worth it.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Agreed. If you can ride from town and manage the vertical, the ride that ameybrook noted is a good one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    OP, I think your plan is solid. Never been a huge fan of 409, so that souldn't be my choice, but to each their own. If I wanted more miles than RFB to Doctor's, I would either skip Flag in favor of Spring Creek (marked only as DD on the Lat 40 map) or toss in an extra loop on Julie Andrews and Rosebud.

mtbr member
    Or what you could do is get dropped off at Harmels, or even where Deadman's exits on Spring Creek, ride trail 420 first then do the loop, also you could add in Rosebud & Julie Andrew's trail too. Or ride on the other side 583/400 to many options which you could end back in CB.

^^^like he said...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the in out adding Rosebud and Juile Andrew's looks like a good option. I will at that closer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just a quick update. I ended up doing the ride as I had originally proposed and that was plenty for the day. It's amazing how much little sleep will effect your body. I have two little ones who don't like sleeping right now. All in all it was a great ride. I rode on Tues. 09/03 It was pretty dead but I was surprised that I saw as many motos as I did. The climbs were mostly all doable and the way down was good and in a few areas great.

A few things that suck out in my head were the following:
    -The down hills of Flag and Bear are too short. I could ride that stuff all day.
    -I don't know how early in the season I would want to ride either tails for as I can see some of the creek crossings just being a real pain.
    -Bringing a water filter was great. There are more than enough spots to quick stop for a refill. (however, don't leave the filter behind as I did) It's somewhere either at the start of Doctors or at the raft pullout at the Taylor River.)
    -Crossing over from Reno /Flag/ Bear to Doctor's Park took a bit of effort. Though a short distance to travel the trail weaved in and around the creek. So there were a few back and forths across the creek as a result of that. Not bad just took time.
    -The climb to the top of Doctor's was a lot more than I had anticipated. Maybe a closer look at the map would have provided me with that info ahead of time.
    -The down hill of Doctor's was a mixed bag for me. I really enjoyed the above tree line ST and then the middle third of the downhill. The upper and lower sections are more or less just steep washed out shoots down a drainage. All rideable but not what I anticipated or prefer to ride. The middle section was sweet though just wish there was more of it.

Anyway, all in all a great ride and if you have a way to have cars at different locations a good way to combine two classics. Still plenty of trail to explore on that end of CB.