Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bix Pender
    Feb 2009

Crested butte in October

I might be in CB and durango in late Sept/early Oct. What should I expect from the weather and the trails? I only have 4 full days and would be flying into Durango, ride moderate ride day on arrival day. Day 2, long mtn ride in Durango area, drive to Crested butte. Day 3, trail 401 morning, Lower loop or something shorter, evening. day 4, schofield pass to Crystal or Deer creek trail. Drive back to Durango, day 5 fly out.

I'm open to suggestions about what rides are the best. And I will be riding solo the whole time, in case we need to take this into account. Also, let's talk snow, hunters, cow rutted trails, etc....

thanks

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=eatmorecarp]I might be in CB and durango in late Sept/early Oct. What should I expect from the weather and the trails? I only have 4 full days and would be flying into Durango, ride moderate ride day on arrival day. Day 2, long mtn ride in Durango area, drive to Crested butte. Day 3, trail 401 morning, Lower loop or something shorter, evening. day 4, schofield pass to Crystal or Deer creek trail. Drive back to Durango, day 5 fly out.

Also, let's talk snow, hunters, cow rutted trails, etc....

Possibly(up high)Definately,oh yeah

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    [quote=shoulderfu]
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmorecarp
    I might be in CB and durango in late Sept/early Oct. What should I expect from the weather and the trails? I only have 4 full days and would be flying into Durango, ride moderate ride day on arrival day. Day 2, long mtn ride in Durango area, drive to Crested butte. Day 3, trail 401 morning, Lower loop or something shorter, evening. day 4, schofield pass to Crystal or Deer creek trail. Drive back to Durango, day 5 fly out.

Also, let's talk snow, hunters, cow rutted trails, etc....

Possibly(up high)Definately,oh yeah
    I'll toss in some more hunters, and cows..and prolly some snow up Schofield, cause thats how I roll

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    I checked on the hunting season and I will be there for small game (birds) and turkey. No big game is good.

I'm gonna be camping, will it be cold or bone chilling I can't sleep cold? (i think camping in the 20s at night is pretty much my limit)

Throw out some trail ideas!

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Stfa!!!!!

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    OK,sorry to be so unhelpful,but (seriously) look thru the archives(old threads) and you will see many posts regarding riding suggestions in cb and dgo.
    A little effort on your part goes a long way......
    good luck

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    OK,sorry to be so unhelpful,but (seriously) look thru the archives(old threads) and you will see many posts regarding riding suggestions in cb and dgo.
    A little effort on your part goes a long way......
    good luck

what is stfa? Also, in the time you took to type that you could've easily said, "don't ride 401 in october, there's gonna be snow" or "try teocali ridge". I've got a trail guide book, had it for years. I was gonna move to Durango once, but moved to Kathmandu instead. Anyways, If you're ever looking for trail advice in Asheville I'm gonna tell you the same thing.

How about answering this last question.... only one place and 4-5 days, Durango or Crested butte? I want aspens, tight singletrack, rocks, roots, exposure, altitude, length, waterfalls, cliffs, views, beer and very little snow.

Peace.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    OK, I'm putting off this idea. don't wanna spend that much money and get snowed on. I'll think about it again in the summer. Thanks anyways!

mtbr member
    You could get snowed on in Summer up there too! Or rained on. Just go for it and don't worry about those nasty hunters either.

drink coffee, ride.
    It could be great - last year, first week in October - awesome, 2 years ago (9/30) incredible - aspens were mostly done, I was wearing every piece of bike clothing I own (I'm from Phx) but it was worth it. Yes there was frost in the moring, I didn't start until 11 am - but here, judge for yourself -
    Drink Freely from the Flowing Fountain of Singletrack

Ride to the ride.
    A couple pics from the last weekend of September in Crested Butte from last year. It was great, if chilly at night. Like, bring winter clothes and warm gear. (But heck, it was frost-on-the-tent cold last week while camping there, so...)

My opinion: Crested Butte/Gunnison/Durango represent three different elevations, in descending order. If it's too cold in CB, head to Gunny. Too cold, head to Durango. Too cold there, go to Moab. The seasons around here are highly variable depending on elevation, so pick what's appropriate for whatever weather happens. Stay loose. Don't make rigid plans. Just plan to ride, and find the spot that's suitable as you need to.

Have fun!

--Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    I checked on the hunting season and I will be there for small game (birds) and turkey. No big game is good.

I'm gonna be camping, will it be cold or bone chilling I can't sleep cold? (i think camping in the 20s at night is pretty much my limit)

Throw out some trail ideas!
    dude..really??? you must belong to the east coast

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    If you're ever looking for trail advice in Asheville I'm gonna tell you the same thing.
    Thanks shoulerfu. Now we'll never get any of that highly sought after East Coast riding beta.

How about answering this last question.... only one place and 4-5 days, Durango or Crested butte? I want aspens, tight singletrack, rocks, roots, exposure, altitude, length, waterfalls, cliffs, views, beer and very little snow.

Peace.
    You won't find any of this in every single town mountain town in SW Co. Don't bother getting out and exploring, or using the search function for that matter.

OK, I'm putting off this idea. don't wanna spend that much money and get snowed on. I'll think about it again in the summer. Thanks anyways!
    You cut us deep. It's gonna take like 5min. to recover from that bombshell.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=bones get broke]Thanks shoulerfu. Now we'll never get any of that highly sought after East Coast riding beta.

I TRIED to be nice,sheesh where were you yesterday bgb??
    If I ever found myself in that hellhole I would stfa for ideas,and maybe even check the trail review forum prior to posting .....

Now get off my lawn!!!

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    I TRIED to be nice,sheesh where were you yesterday bgb??
    I was busy at work and swam during my lunch break. I checked in and saw this junkshow starting in the afternoon. I promised myself I wouldn't participate in these wankfests anymore and look here I am.

fuk.

Let's ride bikes on Sunday. That'll be fun. Maybe we can find a long trail with some tight singletrack through some Aspens and roots and rocks. Maybe even a few cliffs or a waterfall and some high altidude views (void of snow of course) would be nice. After that we could drink a beer.
    -Sage Francis

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    I was busy at work and swam during my lunch break. I checked in and saw this junkshow starting in the afternoon. I promised myself I wouldn't participate in these wankfests anymore and look here I am.

fuk.
    Wankers can't help but get themselves involved in these wankfests.

Wait a second...

Never mind.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Ahh yes, that's what's great about the internet.....anonymity.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Anonymity?

Everybody around here knows BgB except me. And I e-know him. Which is good enough for me. Because he's a douchebag.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    My name is Clayton Hamilton and I live in Bayfield, CO.

You shouldn't take the ribbing personally. If you scan through the board you'll find hundreds of posts that ask and or answer virtually the same questions that you have. We tend to get tired of answering these questions over and over again so we have fun by razzing the poor soul who wanted info.

If you do research and come up with real questions regarding specific trails or towns you'll get real info. Comming on here and asking a bunch of nobodys to plan your vacation isn't going to get you a whole lot in the way of useful beta.

P.S. STFA = Search The Forum Archive (aka - search function)
    -Sage Francis

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    My name is Clayton Hamilton and I live in Bayfield, CO.

You shouldn't take the ribbing personally. If you scan through the board you'll find hundreds of posts that ask and or answer virtually the same questions that you have. We tend to get tired of answering these questions over and over again so we have fun by razzing the poor soul who wanted info.

If you do research and come up with real questions regarding specific trails or towns you'll get real info. Comming on here and asking a bunch of nobodys to plan your vacation isn't going to get you a whole lot in the way of useful beta.

P.S. STFA = Search The Forum Archive (aka - search function)
    I thought it stood for Search The F**king Archives.

Blargh
    Apr 2004
    Not to mention, asking if an early October ride will have good weather is like asking whether next winter will have a lot of snow. Maybe, maybe not.

Honestly, go to Durango and plan on riding there, lots of lower elevation options that are sure to please. If the forecast looks promising, go to CB. And prepare to be cold.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    I thought it stood for "stay the f#ck away"

That's what we want to tell all the tools who have invaded Asheville over the last 10 years and messed up our trails. not to mention the magazine labels as "best mtn bike city", blah blah blah......STFA.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    I thought it stood for "stay the f#ck away"

That's what we want to tell all the tools who have invaded Asheville over the last 10 years and messed up our trails. not to mention the magazine labels as "best mtn bike city", blah blah blah......STFA.
    They don't publish stuff like that about towns in CO because it's common knowledge.
    Without "poetic license" mags wouldn't have much to write about would they.

Take it easy and next time bring a thicker skin or STFA (whatever definition you choose).
    -Sage Francis

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    alright, here's a useful question so put your d#cks back in your pants, you don't get to wank this time.......

would Kenda small block 8's be good tires for durango, CB, gunnison in mid to late august?

mtbr member
    alright, here's a useful question so put your d#cks back in your pants, you don't get to wank this time.......

would Kenda small block 8's be good tires for durango, CB, gunnison in mid to late august?

I've known some guys that like that thing as a rear tire(2.35 version) because its fast, but they use something with more bite in the front

Go to Page 4 of the threads and find a thread titled "Please Help..." . It may be the 'Holy Grail' of useful advice/experience for riding in Western Colorado. good info.

Thanks in advance for bumping it back to the top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast