mtbr member

Crested Butte - lodging and trails

I'm planning on visiting CB this summer for the first time. Does anyone have lodging recommendations? I'm hoping to rent a small cabin. Also, what are some of the top 5 trails which are a "must ride" ??

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Check out this site if you are looking for a house, cabin, or condo:

www.homeaway.com

I like using it because I travel with a dog and they will tell you if the place accepts pets. Plus you work directly with the owner so there is very little middle man action.

As for trails grab a book and pick 'em.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    www.vrbo.com - email the condo owners and chances are you can negotiate the price they're asking.

Trails: www.visitcrestedbutte.com

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No expert but

Ive only been to the butte a few times but Reno-Bear-Deadmans is one of my top rides ever.
    bsg

We are finishing up our annual CB trip today. We stay at the Chateaux condos in Mt Crested Butte each year, we get a pretty good deal (but there's 40 of us). The bus shuttle to town comes right thru the complex, so it's still convenient for trips down to Crested Butte.

Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans is a great ride, one of my favorites. I didn't do it this year as weather was looking a bit too threatening the day it was scheduled, but some of our riders did do it anyways; their report says watch out for cows at the end of Flag and much of Bear Creek (on the singletrack unfortunately both with body and poop).

Another must do ride is 401 (the views are classic), which we usually ride from Mt Crested Butte as an out and back, watch out for the traffic on Gothic Rd, it can be a bit much, though. Some like to start up at the end of the trail and just ride up Gothic to the entrance at Schofield pass.

The normal entrance (Farris Creek Rd) to the Strand trail is closed off, a private landowner and the forest service aren't getting along, so you have to enter via Canal trail (usually where you would come out). We like to ride the Strand trails from Mt Crested Butte via Upper to Upper Upper, Brush Creek Rd, Canal, Strand Bonus, up Farris Creek Road, Strand down, Canal out to Brush Creek Rd, up to Whetstone to Upper Upper and Upper to return. Farris Creek and 402 are possibilities in this area as well.

I like the Deer Creek ride, big epic loop around the mountain.

Dyke Trail itself is nice, but it's connecting to it that can be less than thrilling. If you can just start at the top of Dyke and have a car at the bottom, you alleviate several miles of busy road that just isn't interesting at all.

If you're putting around with the family, the Lower loops near town are nice. Snodgrass is a nice warm up ride we do on arrival and departure days as it's very convenient to where we stay, it's somewhat short but fun.

Teocalli I did once, epic climb but just didn't think it was worth it myself.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    We are finishing up our annual CB trip today. We stay at the Chateaux condos in Mt Crested Butte each year, we get a pretty good deal (but there's 40 of us). The bus shuttle to town comes right thru the complex, so it's still convenient for trips down to Crested Butte.

Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans is a great ride, one of my favorites. I didn't do it this year as weather was looking a bit too threatening the day it was scheduled, but some of our riders did do it anyways; their report says watch out for cows at the end of Flag and much of Bear Creek (on the singletrack unfortunately both with body and poop).

Another must do ride is 401 (the views are classic), which we usually ride from Mt Crested Butte as an out and back, watch out for the traffic on Gothic Rd, it can be a bit much, though. Some like to start up at the end of the trail and just ride up Gothic to the entrance at Schofield pass.

The normal entrance (Farris Creek Rd) to the Strand trail is closed off, a private landowner and the forest service aren't getting along, so you have to enter via Canal trail (usually where you would come out). We like to ride the Strand trails from Mt Crested Butte via Upper to Upper Upper, Brush Creek Rd, Canal, Strand Bonus, up Farris Creek Road, Strand down, Canal out to Brush Creek Rd, up to Whetstone to Upper Upper and Upper to return. Farris Creek and 402 are possibilities in this area as well.

I like the Deer Creek ride, big epic loop around the mountain.

Dyke Trail itself is nice, but it's connecting to it that can be less than thrilling. If you can just start at the top of Dyke and have a car at the bottom, you alleviate several miles of busy road that just isn't interesting at all.

If you're putting around with the family, the Lower loops near town are nice. Snodgrass is a nice warm up ride we do on arrival and departure days as it's very convenient to where we stay, it's somewhat short but fun.

Teocalli I did once, epic climb but just didn't think it was worth it myself.

Thanks, does anyone have GPS routs for these trails that I can load into my Garmin Edge 705??

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahWhatever
    Thanks, does anyone have GPS routs for these trails that I can load into my Garmin Edge 705??

Thanks
    http://www.crankcollective.com/index.php

Thread Terrorist
    401 is a classic
    Reno-flag-bear-deadmans is one of my fav's
    Strand hill
    Dyke Trail
    Uppers and Lowers

Quote Originally Posted by YeahWhatever

Thanks
    The trails are well marked...no need for a GPS, map works great.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique