mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Crested Butte-Gunnison Folks. . .

I'm heading your way from Prescott, AZ this Thursday and can't wait to hit up your gorgeous country. I've decided (I think) on the following rides and have a couple questions.

1. 401/403 (Snodgrass is closed, unfortunately): What is the best way to ride lower 401? Should I ride all the way up Gothic Rd from the TH to Schofield Pass and take the entire 401 back, or take lower 401 from the TH then cut over to Gothic Rd and ride it up in order to take upper 401 down?

2. Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's: This is a loop, correct? Most maps I've found on-line make it appear as a one way and don't show an obvious loop connector.

3. Winter Park Friday evening for the free lifts.

4. Doctor Park vs. Hartman Rocks in Gunnison: Which one's best?

If I'm overlooking an obvious can't miss trail, feel free to rearrange my itinerary.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1. Personally I like lower 401 starting from the judd falls parking area and riding it west, but most people combo it by riding upper 401 first then lower 401 and finishing at the parking area. Riding it east after upper 401 always seems anti climatic since the ending downhill is on a road back to the parking area and it feels like a lot of extra uphill for little reward. All in my opinion of course.

2. Yes, this is a loop. Reno road is on the image below, but not on the interactive map from the link, but it's fairly easy to follow.

The Mountain Bike Hall of Fame - cbtrails.com Trail Map & beyond

4. Doctor's park for sure if the weather is good. Hartman's is high desert riding which might be a good backup since it's usually a bit warmer/drier in gunny. Hartman's is also mostly cross country type riding with no massive downhills, but is really fun.

You might want to consider riding the dyke trail right now since the aspens are going off up on kebler pass. Also, strand hill is a great aspen ride that doesn't take too long, close to town and has a ripping downhill.

Team Velveeta™

beaver fever

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    1. Personally I like lower 401 starting from the judd falls parking area and riding it west, but most people combo it by riding upper 401 first then lower 401 and finishing at the parking area. Riding it east after upper 401 always seems anti climatic since the ending downhill is on a road back to the parking area and it feels like a lot of extra uphill for little reward. All in my opinion of course...
    Be advised: getting in or out to/from the top part of lower 401 to the Gothic Road will involve wading through a beaver pond that was covering the doubletrack when I was there Saturday. I could not tell how deep it was, but had to guess 3' or more.

I was riding in the CB Classic. The second loop course was up Slate River Road/Slate du Huez, down 403, up to Schofield and down the full length of 401. I was really tired and had a mishap that injured my shoulder up on upper 401, so I was going to bail at Rustlers Gulch (the break between upper and lower 401). But I encountered the beaver pond. I bushwacked a little into the willows upstream to try to find a crossing, but gave up and just stayed on course and rode out 401 to the Judd Falls TH.

Unless you bring hip waders, or unless the beaver pond has been removed, you'll get nice and wet trying to split 401. Schofield all the way down is really the only way to do it unless there's another way to get out to the Gothic Road I don't know about.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Be advised: getting in or out to/from the top part of lower 401 to the Gothic Road will involve wading through a beaver pond that was covering the doubletrack when I was there Saturday. I could not tell how deep it was, but had to guess 3' or more.

I was riding in the CB Classic. The second loop course was up Slate River Road/Slate du Huez, down 403, up to Schofield and down the full length of 401. I was really tired and had a mishap that injured my shoulder up on upper 401, so I was going to bail at Rustlers Gulch (the break between upper and lower 401). But I encountered the beaver pond. I bushwacked a little into the willows upstream to try to find a crossing, but gave up and just stayed on course and rode out 401 to the Judd Falls TH.

Unless you bring hip waders, or unless the beaver pond has been removed, you'll get nice and wet trying to split 401. Schofield all the way down is really the only way to do it unless there's another way to get out to the Gothic Road I don't know about.
    when i rode it several weeks ago the beaver pond was there and the water was a good knee high. We've had quite a bit of rain yesterday and today so it's definitely something to think about. It's definitely new since it's only been there from late summer/fall. Nice job on the classic, that is a huge ride!

Team Velveeta™

2/3

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    ... Nice job on the classic, that is a huge ride!
    Well, I did bail after I finished that second loop. But given my sketchy fitness this late season, 2/3 of the full classic was a huge ride for me.

Got back to town at about 5:30, Vinotok was in full swing. What a great time.

Check out my write-up about my day, got some pretty tasty pictures too:

Team Velveeta™: CB Classic - Classic CB
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    If you ride ALL of 401 you will not need to wade through any water(top to bottom, not figure 8). Don't listen to people when they say the lower part of 401 isn't worth it, it is!

Reno/flag/bear has seen TONS of moto use this year and is kind of blown out. I would consider riding Bear to Doctors. Personally I think Hartmans is a can't miss, you could rider there the first day to "warm up" You can easily ride at Hartmans all day

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'd agree with the above. just ride all of 401 towards gothic. RFBD is moto-ed out and there are better rides these days. I rode Doctor's last week and it was in great shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Reno /F/B/D was great 3 days ago (sunday)......slightly looser than normal on the uphill grind to Deadmans (ride it once a year for past 6 years) but now with the rain it should be killer. It is not ruined by motos at all (maybe compared to 20 years ago). Still (IMO) the best ride in that town.

401 at halfway . we crossed Downstream about 100ft from the beaver pond (which we probably should have just walked thru)...downstream the creek was about calf/knee deep for a few steps...no biggie. Then 20 foot climb up the embankment...not even worth discussing.

Like stated- Dyke was full on.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post
    If you ride ALL of 401 you will not need to wade through any water(top to bottom, not figure 8). Don't listen to people when they say the lower part of 401 isn't worth it, it is!

Reno/flag/bear has seen TONS of moto use this year and is kind of blown out. I would consider riding Bear to Doctors. Personally I think Hartmans is a can't miss, you could rider there the first day to "warm up" You can easily ride at Hartmans all day
    Hartmans is a great trail system for getting used to the altitude if you're from sea level...The KOA campground is very nice and very close to the trailhead if you are into camping at a more upscale place...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We rode through the water off of the 401 with no problem a week or so ago. My shoes certainly got wet and I made it across pedaling pretty easily, but my SO got soaked since he tried to ride pretty fast through it (made it though). There were signs on Schofield saying it was closing to bikes (can't remember exact date, but thought it was Oct.1) so you would have to ride up and back on the 401 with the closure. I think they were closing it from the lower 401 TH.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    BTW, Winter Park bike park has closed for the season - no lifts running until ski season

mtbr member
    and who cares! hahah just get wet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums. This is my first post. I have just learned that I'm moving to Gunnison from Portland, Oregon. I'm a fairly serious (but below average) road and cyclocross racer looking to get back into mountain biking. In fact, I'd like to race cross country MTB races in the Gunnison area.

Before I move, I'm hoping to make the best of living in Portland and take advantage of some of the mountain bikes here in town. But before I buy, I was hoping you could fill me in on the best type of MTB for racing cross country in the Gunnison/CB area.

Should I go for a hard-tail 29er or full suspension MTB? Any advice would be rad. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by barkernews View Post
    Should I go for a hard-tail 29er or full suspension MTB? Any advice would be rad. Thanks in advance.
    hard-tail carbon 29er for sure if you're serious about racing. Full suspension for leisure riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My only bike in CB right now is an alloy 29er hardtail. Works for me.

i tend to try to go long for rides (I live up Washington Gulch). But, hey, ride what feels good.

Whai is taking you to Gunnison?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    29er hardtail works great for me but, trek fuel ex worked great until I started dabbling in racing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I love my FS stumpjumper 29er, but I'm not much of a racer.
    I like to go fast.

www.edgnarly.wordpress.com

mtbr member

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    ^ nice pics!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    Awesome. I have been out boarding the last four days, and looking at the clear side trails. I have been thinking the same thing.
    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member