mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Crested Butte Conditions

I am coming up to CB for three days of riding this Friday. Tentive plan is Friday-Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans; Saturday up Walrod and over to 409 and a Half to Strand, Sunday - Drs. Park. I know that the the Alpine Odyssey is this Saturday and planning on staying out of its way.

Are these trails riding well and cow free? Any alternate suggestions? Thanks, UNT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I did similar rides 3 weeks ago. But I did Bear to Doctors instead because day 3 was at Crested Butte resort (which I highly recommend), and I wanted both Bear and Doctors descent. That is a really fun ride. Connecting Walrod and 409.5 I would of taken going left and not right and around 405, motos made lots of hike a bikes, but a super good view on the backside of 405 that was one of the best I've had in CB. 409.5 is a fun descent as well.

And if you have the opportunity, go to CB for lift service, and rent a big bike. Woods trail is ridiculously fun if you like flying downhill.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    I will be there this weekend also. Not quite sure what we are riding yet. Only trail on the agenda at the moment is Dr. Park. Most likely we will be hitting a morning and afternoon ride everyday.

I don't think we will see much influx from the alpine odyssey

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    or maybe it will be. I guess that stupid race is more popular than I thought. Guess it might be Dr park on Saturday to stay out of the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBOASIS View Post
    I don't think we will see much influx from the alpine odyssey
    It is a Leadville qualifier, so I think it gets a decent number of people. That being said it looks like they are mostly on gravel and 4wd roads, the single track is all at the mountain. I imagine if you wanted you could pretty much do whatever you wanted (except for CBMR) as long as you timed it right. I would just prefer to avoid having to deal with it and there is plenty of excellent riding south of town.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    They had 300 people ride last year, so not too bad. But yes a ton of riding south of town which is where we will be heading.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Some guy named Lance will be at the odyssey again... so yeah, kind of busy.

Good choices all around, I think the only place you'll see cows is possibly Strand.