unrooted

Cool towns for mtb & not

My wife & I are headed to rad-o next week & she separated her shoulder last night.

I am still going to get a bit of riding in but want to have cool places to hang when I'm not riding. Good food, movie theater??!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Head to Breck, plenty of stuff for her to do while you are out riding. Art galleries, good restaurants, shopping etc. There's a theater in Dillon, and a small one in Breck. Breck, Frisco, or Dillon would be the best for keeping her entertained.

CB would be cool too, but smaller downtown with less to do.

Salida could be nice too but also small. Hit up Mt Princeton hot springs for some healing for her shoulder.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Aspen. great trails for hiking and biking. Also the best social setting in the entire state.

Rock n' Roller
    Crested Butte! Came here three years ago and well, never left.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    as much as i want to say Fruita, cause it's pretty damn awesome here, i would say Durango. Durango has great riding from town, Ska and Steamworks breweries, and is cool like the other side of the pillow.

also.... fruita....while you ride the wife can flit between coffee at Aspen St coffee and beer at the Taproom.

unrooted
    Do you know of if there is free camping in these areas? At the least a place to park our truck and sleep in the back.

Rock n' Roller
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Do you know of if there is free camping in these areas? At the least a place to park our truck and sleep in the back.
    As far as CB goes, yes and it's pretty easy to find. With the exception of July 4, it's fairly easy to find free camping up Brush Creek, Gothic Road, Washington Gulch, and Slate River Road. Some are developed camp grounds, some aren't. If you camp in an undeveloped camp ground during a fire ban, no fires (have to be in a steel or cement barrels). You could park in our parking lot, worse comes to worse, or better yet, buy a few beers and crash on our couch!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Any of the 'mountain' towns will be great this time of year.

Aspen/Basalt/Carbondale/GWS have plenty to do for a week or two
    Frisco/Breck/Keystone and or Vail/Avon
    Crested Butte/Salida etc in So. Co.

Plenty of camping around any of those places.... Amazing riding in all the places as well.

unrooted
    SWEET, I'll definately have a bit of beer in my vehicle. I'll be headed from Bishop CA, so I'll likely stop in Fruita for a very early morning ride (100 f this weekend then onwards. I'm trying to drag my trip out so that I don't end up driving into Denver on Sunday. It sucks that my wife can't ride with me though, hopefully she'll be up for some hiking while I'm riding.

At the very least we should be able to find a truck stop along 70, I can always use the extra cash. . .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
    Any of the 'mountain' towns will be great this time of year.

Aspen/Basalt/Carbondale/GWS have plenty to do for a week or two
    Frisco/Breck/Keystone and or Vail/Avon
    Crested Butte/Salida etc in So. Co.

Plenty of camping around any of those places.... Amazing riding in all the places as well.
    +1 ...can't go wrong with any of these places. Durango, Grand Junction/Fruita should be on the list as well. Summer in CO is good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Make sure you stop in Eagle for some riding, it's on 70 and is very good. I can give camping suggestions around the Vail/Avon area as well if needed.