Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Colorado's Top Rides

I'm new to Colorado, and this summer I want to take a 7 day tour around the state by car, doing one ride per day of the best trails that Colorado has to offer. Starting in Pueblo and making a loop of the 7 best rides in the state. Would really appreciate everyone's 7 best.

mtbr member
    If you're starting in Pueblo: Only placed in this order so you can do a loop.

Monarch Crest
    Reno/Flag/Bear (CB)
    Drs Park (CB)
    Lunch Line Loops (GJ)
    Mary's Loop
    Govt Trail (Aspen/Snowmass)
    2-Elks Trail (Vail)

EDITORS NOTE....Would have recommended Enchanted Forest, but the folks in Jeff/co banned that to DH traffic

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro1

EDITORS NOTE....Would have recommended Enchanted Forest, but the folks in Jeff/co banned that to DH traffic
    You can still ride EF... every OTHER day. But I can't remember if it's allowed on even or odd days.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Monarch Crest is the best Colorado has to offer
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    I did not say it (Monarch) was the best. I just pointed out that if he was starting in Pueblo, then that is a ride not to miss.

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    Yep
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linoleum Knife
    I've always thought that Moab was the best Colorado had to offer....

mtbr member
    We have some of the best unknown rides in Aspen. I rarely see another rider. This trail starts right in the middle of town. Colorado's Top Rides-hunter-creek-four-corners.jpg

Schipperkes are cool.
    CDT, Rainbow Trail, CT, Silver Creek trail, Greens Creek, Salida Mountain Trails 2 minutes from Down town! Fish Creek Falls is the tops!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rdkopp0153
    I'm new to Colorado, and this summer I want to take a 7 day tour around the state by car, doing one ride per day of the best trails that Colorado has to offer. Starting in Pueblo and making a loop of the 7 best rides in the state. Would really appreciate everyone's 7 best.
    Colorado is a big, big, big, big state, and no one here has posted any untruths about ride quality. You could go to Salida and spend all 7 days there riding epic stuff! Ditto for Crested Butte/Gunnison, Durango, Breckenridge, Steamboat, GJ/Fruita and yes even Aspen. Dunno if I'd recommend all that driving, but at least Salida, Crested Butte/Gunny, Breckenridge, Aspen is all relatively close and centered enough that driving would not be ridiculous.

You might have more fun just staying at one location......If it were me I'd vote for Salida, trust in Absolute Bikes for routes once there and move later if desireable. Common thread between all places mentioned is that each town has more than one cool shop and guys like Banks who know all the goods and are willing to share. Those tips usually yield more than the commonly published "best rides" lists do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncampbell
    We have some of the best unknown rides in Aspen. I rarely see another rider. This trail starts right in the middle of town. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hunter Creek - Four Corners.jpg 
Views:	1169 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	515654
    I tasted Sunnyside and the Hobbit Forest last summer and have made it point to ride more there for next season. You are certainly in an awesome spot for riding.

Bite Me.
    I have to throw in for Glenwood Springs and Carbondale riding too, although I don't honestly think anything here would necessarily make it to a top ten list of rides in the state - Forrest Hollow/Scout loop is pretty fun, you can spend a day at Red Hill/Mushroom Rock and not see it all, same for Prince Creek, and then there's all that up valley sweetness that ripens up a bit later in the season.
    For 7 days of riding from Pueblo a good driving route would be to hit Salida, go over Independence Pass to hit Aspen/Glenwood, I-70 west to Fruita/GJ, back on I-70 east to hit Eagle/Vail/Summit, back over Fremont to Leadville/Buena Vista/Salida and then home.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Colorado is a big, big, big, big state, Dunno if I'd recommend all that driving, but at least Salida, is all relatively close and centered enough that driving would not be ridiculous.

You might have more fun just staying at one location......If it were me I'd vote for Salida, trust in Absolute Bikes for routes once there and move later if desireable, and guys like Banks who know all the goods and are willing to share.

Hot Damn!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm a bit biased and I hate lots of driving so this would be my list (in order):

1. Molas to Cascade (Dgo)
    2. Top of Bolam/Cross Creek/Hermosa (Dgo)
    3. Raiders/Cuchillo/Telegraph/Big Canyon (Dgo)
    4. Phils World (Cortez)

and then either Fruita for 3 days or...

5. Reno/Flag/Bear (CB)
    6. Docs Park (CB)
    7. Monarch Crest

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I thought the Sahara Klub had shut down all the mtn bike trails in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by storm11
    I'm a bit biased and I hate lots of driving so this would be my list (in order):

4. Phils World (Cortez)
    Yeah, but that leaves nothing to ride on the second day, and there are hardly any trails around here.
    Craig, Durango CO

Linoleum Knife
    Yeah, but that leaves nothing to ride on the second day, and there are hardly any trails around here.
    Sad but true - and fewer every day.

I'm going to try and convince my parents to buy the parcel that includes the top of the Telegraph climb and Anasazi descent. Good climb. good DH and close to the new highway, starbucks and Liquor store....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What? I don't get it....

Molas one day
    Bolam/Hermosa day 2
    Tele area day 3
    etc...

maybe I missing something...

Schipperkes are cool.

4. Phils World (Cortez)

and then either Fruita for 3 days or...

5. Reno/Flag/Bear (CB)
    6. Docs Park (CB)
    7. Monarch Crest

If you do go to CB, you HAVE to ride Hartman Rocks in Gunni; home of Rage in the Sage and the Growler!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    What? I don't get it....

Molas one day
    Bolam/Hermosa day 2
    Tele area day 3
    etc...

maybe I missing something...
    Methinks yours is broken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Methinks yours is broken.

Jesus... I guess so... I'm an idiot.

mtbr member
    Jesus... I guess so... I'm an idiot.
    It has been written before, sarcasm does not come across well on the internet.

Anyway, I have to agree with the poster regarding Durango based riding.
    You get high country rides as good or better than anywhere in the state, without the front range/Summit County crowds, get the variety of desert terrain from one easy location. If someone tells you Phil's World is not one of the most fun rides ever, they are lying.
    Craig, Durango CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    CDT, Rainbow Trail, CT, Silver Creek trail, Greens Creek, Salida Mountain Trails 2 minutes from Down town! Fish Creek Falls is the tops!
    Where is Fish Creek? I'll be moving to Salida in a couple of years and usually stop in town each summer to do a ride. Is Greens Creek a better drop off the Crest than foose's?

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BeerJoe
    Is Greens Creek a better drop off the Crest than foose's?
    Having not done it yet, I can't say if its better. I'd done Fooses and Starvation, both were fantastic and drastically different. I think Fooses gets more use maybe because its shorter or easier to shuttle. I thought Starvation was a better ride than Fooses and Rainbow. Green is on my list. I've heard its technical and has a good amount of talas and scree.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have to be honest....living on the front range and moving here back in 1993, a lot has changed....including the traffic on the trails. Lately, what I've found is that if you want an absolutely unforgettable experience, go out and get some maps (start with a DeLorme Map Book of Colorado) and look for trails. If you don't want to buy the map book, then download a free copy of Google Earth. There's a ton of them out there - everything from single track to old jeep trails. Last fall I found an area where the ride was decent (nobody else around) and I got to watch two mountain lion keeping an eye out on a herd of antelope. It was incredible.

Don't limit yourself to the published guides or where everyone else tells you to go - go out, explore, and have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast