Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Colorado and Utah - August

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  dadat40 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm planning a trip over from the UK later this year, August to be exact.

It has to be august as the place I work has an enforced shut down during this time.

I've been gleening info from many threads on here which is great to get together a rough plan.
There would be three of us comming and would rent a large vehicle in Denver, an SUV or similar. We're used to road trips and would travel light so we should be abe to get 3 bikes, kit and ourselves in one vehicle no probs.
We'd stay in motels/hotels and do a little camping where possible.

A rough outline would be to visit Durango, Crested Butte, Breckenridge, Fruita and Moab.

Could anyone tell me if people ride Moab in August, I know it would be insanely hot but I have no issue setting out at dawn to minimise this. Is it possible?
Also, I know we could miss Moab out but its considered something of a rite of passage here in the uk to ride the slickrock and porcupine rim etc so we'd love to do it.

Other than Moab, are the other places good to ride in August?

I know we'd have to acclimatise to the altitude but we're talking about a 3 week trip so we'd have time to ease into it. We've ridded accross the Himalaya so know what to expect.

So I guess thats the question really, is August a good idea?

Oh, Also... given a choice between a 25lb 140mm forked hardtail and a 32lb 160mm full suspension bike... which would you bring for this trip?

Thanks all :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Moab and Fruita will be very hot in August. If you ride, ride early in the morning or in the evening. Not too many people go there to ride in the middle of the summer, but locals do ride, it's just timing (or they head for the high country).

As to bikes I personally like light, quick handling XC race type bikes and for me 32# is a pig but a lot of other people think it's the only way to go. One thing to consider is you will be doing lots of climbing.

#4 ·
Like others have said, Fruita is fine during August if you are done by about 11am. Crested Butte will be perfect in terms of temperatures although you may also have to get an early start to avoid mid-afternoon thunderstorms, which are typical at higher altitudes in the summer in these parts.

#5 ·
You can do the Moab/Fruita/GJ thing in August but prepare for the heat and make it a minimal part of your trip, ride early or late, get in the must-dos then move on to the high country. There's lots to ride up high in Moab. Virtually all the high country should be open by then, so focus on the high altitude classics - Aspen, CB, Breck, Monarch Crest, the San Juans - it will all be great and the views are stellar. Bring the big bike and just plan on grinding it out, you'll appreciate the FS rig if you ride for 3 weeks.

#7 ·
I would suggest doing the Highway 50 tour. First take I-25 down to Colorado Springs and spend a little time at Palmer Park and the Cheyenne Canyon area warming up. Then drive down to Pueblo and ride the South Shore Reservoir trails (if it's not too hot). Jump on 50 and head west to Salida. Spend a day on the Salida Mountain Trails and a day on the Monarch Crest Trail (and think about maybe checking out the Colorado Trail and Rainbow Trail). West on 50 takes you to Gunnison and Hartman Rocks, then up to Crested Butte where you should spend several days riding. Then head on out west on 50 again to the Grand Junction/Fruita area...that will be a good test to see if you want to go to Moab or not...if not, head back to Denver via I-70 stopping in Eagle/Vail and Summit County for additional riding.

#10 ·
lwmyers said:
I would suggest doing the Highway 50 tour. First take I-25 down to Colorado Springs and spend a little time at Palmer Park and the Cheyenne Canyon area warming up. Then drive down to Pueblo and ride the South Shore Reservoir trails (if it's not too hot). Jump on 50 and head west to Salida. Spend a day on the Salida Mountain Trails and a day on the Monarch Crest Trail (and think about maybe checking out the Colorado Trail and Rainbow Trail). West on 50 takes you to Gunnison and Hartman Rocks, then up to Crested Butte where you should spend several days riding. Then head on out west on 50 again to the Grand Junction/Fruita area...that will be a good test to see if you want to go to Moab or not...if not, head back to Denver via I-70 stopping in Eagle/Vail and Summit County for additional riding.
When you get to Salida take hwy 285 S into The San Luis Valley. Ride Penitente Trails, Go west Ride Del Norte, South Fork , Wolf Creek Pass,. Go to Durango Do some of Their Stuff Drop Over to western slope from there and then do some of the stuff mentioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.