mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Colorado ride/play trip

Hey guys, I'm planning a trip for the middle of this month to road trip through northern NM and throughout CO to ride trails, climb, hot springs, etc. If anyone has any local insight on some really great places to camp, ride, swim, climb, etc I'd be forever grateful.

I'll be bringing my single speed and possible a Remedy 650. But, definitely want to hit some epic single speed trails. I'm gonna be roaming around the state for 7 days and my only commitment is a day in Denver and a day in Colorado Springs.

Thanks a bunch in advance. I'm super stoked for this much needed trip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Nothing? Trade for Texas hill country spots?

I ride with tools
    Northern New Mexico has some good riding.

Camp by the Rio Grande in Pilar, the ride South Boundary Trail as an out-and-back.
    Camp at Camp May in Los Alamos and ride the trails around town.
    Camp at Hyde Park outside of Santa Fe and ride the Winsor trail and all of its side trails.

Post up on the New Mexico forum and you will likely get offers from locals to show you around.

mtbr member
    There's a bunch of good riding @ Salida with nearby hot springs. Monarch Crest is a must do. Crested Butte isn't too far either. With only 5 other days, your travel time could eat up riding time though. There's great riding in CS if you're free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Fruita, exit 19 off I-70, has 18 rd, which is super rad for camping and singlespeeding. Also Rabbit Valley for amazingly beautiful camping and singlespeeding. You can stop by Over the Edge bikeshop in Fruita for trail and other info, they will hook you up. hot springs down in ouray about 1 1/2 hours away. Phil's world in Cortez is another badass trail system for singlespeeds, and there is good camping between Cortez and Durango.

I ride with tools
    true dat. you could spend an entire summer riding everything in the Dolores River valley and durango and cortez

Rock n' Roller
    Crested Butte...that is all.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hit trails around Durango, shoot over to Cortez and ride Phil's world. Then head up to Crested Butte and hit some stuff there. Take the scenic route over Kebler pass and if it's not too hot head out to Grand Junction/Fruita, ride kokopelli trails or lunch loops or 18rd. On your way back to Denver stop in Glenwood springs for a soak at one of the numerous hot springs there. It sounds like you'll be a bit too early still for Monarch Crest, which is a bummer since it's probably THE premier ride in Colorado not to miss.

It sounds like you have to commit at least a few days in the front range around Denver/CO springs and there isn't any shortage of riding around there either. The biggest thing working against you is your limited time and the shear number of high quality riding opportunities in each of these areas. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Work your way South to North: (these are more suited for the Remedy and fairly technical)
    Phils world was mentioned before in cortez - it is worth it
    Hermosa Creek Trail - Durango (not too techy but recommend a shuttle)
    Sidewinder - Montrose - fairly new trail in last couple of years - getting discovered now
    Crested Butte Park / Hartman Rocks Gunnison
    Monarch Crest Tail is pretty epic - need a shuttle though and lots of water if the snow is gone.
    Back to Grand Junction lunch loops & the Ribbon then Fruita
    Winter Park - hopefully open by mid to late june
    The Front Range has lots of Trails around Denver foothills -take your pick - I suggest Apex
    Enjoy your trip - hard to go wrong with any of pervious suggestions.