Ride to the ride.

Cold Weather Whimpering

Sure was a pretty day out there for riding today. I guess. I was inside where it was warm.

I rode around town with dogs in tow and thought that maybe I'd be fine out there on the trails, burning up some internal food/heat and sweating. But later I was freezing my extremities off.

I know I rode last winter when it was way colder than today. I'm hoping I'll acclimate. Or re-figure out how to dress.

--Greg
    Last edited by Bikeabout; 12-03-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spam removal
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

Ride to the ride.
    I used to ride in wool sweaters/jerseys and a windproof vest. Breathable arms and warm core. That should work, right?

--Greg
    Last edited by Bikeabout; 12-03-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

mtbr member
    Friday I went out for a run and I used a vest and a base layer and it worked great. Never really tried a vest before so I want to try it on the bike next.
    I went out Wednesday and it topped out about 30 degrees. I am trying to break my habit of dressing too warm at the car and start shedding clothes 1/4 mile from the car. I left cold and I could feel the heat work from the core outward but it had to be 15 to 20 minutes before I was warm. Not too hard to stay warm during a 45 min climb, it is the 15 min down that got to my feet the most. But it is hard to complain about cold feet when you are having such a good time.

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004
    Nice pic, Scoot!
    Too bad you're not here for Sat's night ride, we made pudding shots!

T

mtbr member

Not too cold.

Pivotpoint and I rode yesterday and we're going again today at noon. Cold = ok. Cold and wet = not a chance. So get it in while you can, it's going to come to a screeching hault here in the near future. Seems the biggest hurdle is convincing yourself to go in the first place. Once on the trail, it's not that bad.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    But it's a 'dry' cold.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    But it's a 'dry' cold.
    Ha!

I thought my lungs were going to freeze this morning on my ride in. Great time of year to start commuting! I need warmer gloves, pants, jacket....

Bite Me.
    For me, the 3 essentials are a good skull cap, warm gloves, and wool socks with toe covers - the rest is like dressing for nordic skiing. -2 at the house this morning. At least the trail mud is frozen solid.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Sppedmonkey is right, this might come to an end any day now. Enjoy it while you can!

mtbr member
    sdf - where is that pic from? Looks like fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmb
    Nice pic, Scoot!
    Too bad you're not here for Sat's night ride, we made pudding shots!

T
    Pudding shots? I did not have pudding shots after MY ride.
    "Why do I smell Captain?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy
    sdf - where is that pic from? Looks like fun!
    What? That is bad taste to ask where a trail pic is!!! Just kidding. (Other thread on this topic else where if you did not see it) It is out at Peach Valley pointed toward Junction. Grand Mesa on right.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    For me, the 3 essentials are a good skull cap, warm gloves, and wool socks with toe covers - the rest is like dressing for nordic skiing. -2 at the house this morning. At least the trail mud is frozen solid.
    Got the skull cap (cheap one from REI), my Marker spring time ski gloves from Gene Taylors were fine until the last couple days. May try a liner in the mornings. Didn't want a much heavier glove, but maybe shifting/braking won't been hindered.

My commute is so short (about 12 minutes) I thought I could get away with riding in dockers, gonna need to add a layer, tried regular warm up/track pants over them today and that was helpful! Seemed to cut the wind enough.

Don't really wanna have to completely change clothes for such a short ride so I put my old platform/clipless (shimano M424's) on my commuter and don't bother with the bike shoes. I have Champion C9 polyester/spandex pants, but again, I'm trying to avoid a full wardrobe change every morning when I get to the office so I haven't tried them. Right now I'm just having to change shirts when I get in.

My northface fleece was fine with a couple layers underneath (generic "underarmor" longsleeve, champion C9 1/4 zip training top) but gonna have to change to something windproof if these temps hang around. Neck gator has been a must as well!

sdf, are you sure that's not Colorado Springs?
    Last edited by cobi; 12-04-2009 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    sdf, are you sure that's not Colorado Springs?

Doah! Your right! I Got my pics mixed up. Thanks for clearing that up.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh HA!!

I KNEW there were pvssies out on the Western Slope.

I just KNEW it.

BUSTED!!

mtbr member
    Better get it while it's available, looks like the white stuff is coming soon.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Better get it while it's available, looks like the white stuff is coming soon.
    Might go hit it this afternoon. Was cooped up pretty much all day yesterday so I need some exercise.

Having a hard time getting motivated sitting in my recliner drinking my coffee though. Especially when I can see the thermometer from here.

aquanaut in the mountains
    May 2007
    The commute this morning wasn't bad. 4.5 miles @-10*F with 18mph + windchill. Carharts and a skullcap, warm mittens and shoe covers. Way easier than riding in that 12" of snow we had yesterday, my thighs are still sore.
    Do these shorts make my tire look flat?