Thread: CO Trip in June

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

CO Trip in June

Hi All,

My wife's side of the family is scheduling a reunion in CO in late June. Agreeing on the specific location has been going about as well as a bill through Congress... We seem to have it narrowed down to either Crested Butte, Vail or Steamboat Springs. I'm the only real mountain biker in the crew, and my wife keeps reminding me this isn't just a bike trip. My 9-year old loves mountain biking, but only downhill. So hoping for some park riding. I'm really more into all mountain (or what's now known as enduro) riding, and will prefer to ride trails on my 6" travel bike.

First off, wondering if we'll have better luck weather/snow-wise in one of those places more so than the others in late June.

I've always wanted to go to CB, but the more difficult access is a bit hard to sell.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dean
    If white is the "new black" then thanks, but I'll stick with the old black...

mtbr member
    Steamboat is by far the lowest and will certainly have the least limitations (if any) from snow. As well as the most oxygen for you to breathe, which can't hurt if you're coming from somewhere low. The riding is the least technical of the three, but still very fun.

Both CB and Vail should be OK in late June unless the spring is heavy. You'll probably hit some snow up high, but it likely won't close anything.

CB would be my first choice, the prettiest town and best riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks Harryman! Looks like I might have the rest of my family convinced. CB, here we come!
    If white is the "new black" then thanks, but I'll stick with the old black...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ^You will not be disappointed with that decision.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    ^^ second that! Rode CB back in Sept 2013 and was totally drawn into the beauty and the wonderful riding - they also have a bike park as well so you can do lift assisted if you want your DH fix.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Tigers love pepper...
    If you are looking for family reunion places, we just had BIG one here last summer (great location right between Winter Park and Granby Bike parks!). Lots of reunion activities for everyone (zip lines, pool, horseback riding, climbing wall, roller skating, hiking, biking, crafts, rafting, etc, etc..).
    Snow Mountain Ranch near Winter Park CO - YMCA of the Rockies

They have another location in Estes Park:
    YMCA of the Rockies ? Estes Park, CO

Only issue with them is being a faith based org you gotta kinda keep the drinking a bit on the down low (not in public areas). Wasn't a big deal even for a group of drinkers from the Midwest! No TVs in the rooms either but that was actually a bonus as you should be spending time with the family anyway.

That said I'm sure there are numerous reunion opportunities in and around around Vail, Durango, CB, Telluride, etc.. And you can't go wrong with the riding around any of them!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Crested Butte, hands down.

And their bike park is *extremely* kid-friendly. Your 9yo will love it.

Tigers love pepper...
    Just keep in mind, like you said....... this is not JUST a bike trip... gotta keep the family happy. It's not the biggest town. Just something to think about, not that there aren't plenty of activities in & around CB, but if you are trying to keep multiple families and family members happy don't just choose a location cause the riding is great, make sure you have plenty of stuff lined up for EVERYONE to do. That was one nice thing about our reunion is that everyone could go to the activity area and sign up for their own stuff through the resort and stay occupied.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Just keep in mind, like you said....... this is not JUST a bike trip... gotta keep the family happy. It's not the biggest town...
    Good point.

If you want to stick with CB, consider maybe either having it at this place or using it for day activities to keep everybody entertained with lots of options:

Harmels, Colorado Guest Ranch, Family Vacations

It's about 20 minutes away from downtown CB
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Steamboat Springs would be a nice place for a reunion. Access to mountain bike trails is right there from the town itself, and there's lift served terrain just up the road a bit. Fishing and tubing on the Yampa River in town. Nice little botanical garden for people who like that sort of thing. Good variety of places to eat from fast food to fancy. My wife doesn't bike, but she enjoyed the hot springs pool while I was biking.

Large and In Charge
    The hot springs attendant yelled at me for "trespassing" when I rode my bike up the singletrack that ended up there. I was checking it out trying to find someone to ask how much a ticket was or whatever and this douche started yelling at me and also a family that had someone who hiked in on the trail and were asking for help with an older person with breathing problems. I am a first responder so I told him to f off for a minute while I checked on the lady. He said there is a payphone in the parking lot if someone needs to call for help, and to get the f out. I will never go there again, and will gladly spread the word anytime it comes up...

P.S. Despite my screen name, I am not an official Eagle riding spokesperson or anything, I just live and ride there. If you guys end up in Vail, there is good riding there, but check out Eagle, too about 30 minutes away. Also has a longer season too.