mtbr member
    Feb 2013

CO Trail near Salida?

Does anyone know how trail conditions are on the CT near Salida? Covered and snow and will be for some time?

Does anyone have any good trail suggestions for good, dry Salida area trails for next week?

Thanks! Hopin' to get out of town!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by carrielovesbikes View Post
    Does anyone know how trail conditions are on the CT near Salida? Covered and snow and will be for some time?

Does anyone have any good trail suggestions for good, dry Salida area trails for next week?

About a month early for the CT near here. It does tend to open up a solid month earlier than the Crest. Last year it was dry by about May 20, but last year was stupid-dry.

There's a warm wind blowing today. I was speculating with a friend that the Rainbow Trail on Methodist Mtn directly south of town might be ready by the weekend. Don't know if anyone has done a recon yet, but I'd give it a decent chance. 9,000 feet and north-facing, but it's typically dry early because it doesn't get the snow that happens to the west (rain shadow). There's some kind of weather system blowing through here tomorrow. If it drops significant moisture, it could change things. But we'll see.

The Cottonwood Gulch Trail was total hero dirt last Friday. Perfect. You can tie together a 3 hour ride easy doing Cottonwood and some of the Arkansas Hills Trail System trails (N. Backbone out, Backbone back to Lil' Rattler and down). It's a little bootleggish, but it isn't hard to find a GPX out on the interwebs if you want to ride it without getting lost.

There's a new segment of trail that opened up just at the end of the season last fall that can be tied into Little Rainbow. It's called Double Rainbow, and it's not terribly long but really nice.

So yeah, there's a couple days worth of riding on dry trails without retracing your steps too much.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    I will be passing thru on my mtb trip this summer. This is the epic ride I'm shooting for. I still need to figure out a shuttle though from Mtn Princeton Hot Springs. Maybe the folks at High Valley can help me?

Monarch>South Fooses Creek>Colorado Trail>Mtn Princeton Hot Springs. If i still got some gas, I'll continue on for a bit towards Cottonwood and turn around and ride back to the hot springs. Im so looking fwd to doing this ride for the first time.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgraw67 View Post
    I will be passing thru on my mtb trip this summer. This is the epic ride I'm shooting for. I still need to figure out a shuttle though from Mtn Princeton Hot Springs. Maybe the folks at High Valley can help me?

Monarch>South Fooses Creek>Colorado Trail>Mtn Princeton Hot Springs. If i still got some gas, I'll continue on for a bit towards Cottonwood and turn around and ride back to the hot springs. Im so looking fwd to doing this ride for the first time.
    I do not believe that High Valley Center has an outfitter's permit that allows anything other than drop-off at Monarch Pass. I would check with Absolute Bikes Adventures

They could do the whole thing including drop off at Monarch and pick-up at Mt Princeton.

That said, yesterday I rode from Salida to Blanks Cabin (aka Mt Shavano Trailhead) then north on the CO Trail to Princeton Hot Springs, then up the CO Trail section towards Cottonwood about 3/4 of the way. I turned around and rode back down to the Hot Springs then rode home to Salida on Pavement. Princeton Hot Springs to Salida is a little over 15 miles, mostly downhill. Took me a little over an hour to do that, with about 45 miles already on my legs.

mtbr member
    Thank you. I will find out more from High Valley & Absolute Bike Adventures.
    My intent is the hop a ride first thing in the morning from Princeton to the High Valley shuttle. I suppose if i had to Pedal to Poncha Springs to retrieve my car once I'm done that would be doable but would kill my plan soaking in the springs after my colorado mtn bike vacation ride finale. hehehe

Team Velveeta™
    ... I suppose if i had to Pedal to Poncha Springs to retrieve my car once I'm done that would be doable but would kill my plan soaking in the springs after my colorado mtn bike vacation ride finale. hehehe
    That plan sounds good, finishing at Hot Springs would be good juju. But what if you simply parked at the hot springs first thing in the morning, pedaled to Poncha and got the shuttle then?

Pay your pavement penance up front?

If you rode from the hot springs a little after 6 AM it would be pretty easy to catch the first shuttle at 8...

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    yes, i hear ya. but how, zigzag those back road between 285 & the mtn range??

Team Velveeta™
    yes, i hear ya. but how, zigzag those back road between 285 & the mtn range??
    About half of it you can do on county roads, the rest on 285. But 285 has a huge 8 foot wide breakdown lane all the way.

Checkit: Princeton to Poncha

lone rider
    Quote Originally Posted by carrielovesbikes View Post

We camped at Browns Creek over the weekend. Didn't make it to the CT had to get back grandma and the kids you know. Looked like the CT here was pretty dry.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot View Post
    ... Looked like the CT here was pretty dry.
    I rode it from Blanks Cabin (Mt Shavano TH) to the high point north of Mt Princeton Hot Springs (Frontier Ranch) on Sunday. Dry. Like, mid-summer dry. Moon dust. So everything from highway 50 to Cottonwood Creek is GTG.

mtbr member
    Here are some trail and road conditions from a motorcycle site I visit.

Arkansas River Loop (Salida to Howard along the river, return via Power Line Rd) - open.
    Arkansas Hills (Salida to Aspen Ridge) - all routes are open.
    Aspen Ridge Rd 185 - open.
    FourMile Area - open.

Rainbow Tr 1336 - open.

Shirley Site - open.
    Alder Cr Rd 890 - open.
    Clover Cr Rd 876 - open.
    Little bridge road/orange route - open.
    Marshall Pass Rd 200 east side - open to the pass.
    Marshall Pass Rd 200 west side - lower gate (near mine road) is locked.
    Otto Mears Toll Rd 869 - open (to motorcycles). . . 130531
    Poncha Cr Rd 203 - snow blocked at 7 miles. . . 130530
    Silver Cr Rd 201 - open.
    Spring Cr Rd/Whale Hill 875 - unknown.

Sargents south

Agate Cr Tr 484 - lower section of water crossings is open then snow blocked 1/4 - 1/2 mile before the Hwy 50 bailout point.
    Baldy Lake Tr 491 - unknown.
    Barret Park Loop trails - open. . . 130528
    Big Bend Tr 488 - unknown.
    Dutchman Tr 490 - unknown.
    Green Cr Tr 1412 - unknown.
    Hicks Gulch Tr 492 - unknown.
    Indian Cr Rd/ FR777.1B/1C - unknown.
    Left Hand Tr 495 - unknown.
    Lime Cr Tr 485 - unknown.
    Long Branch Tr 489 - unknown.
    Milk Cr Tr 474 - unknown.
    Razor Cr Tr 487 - unknown.
    Right Hand Tr 493 - unknown.
    Tank 7 Tr 480 - unknown.
    Upper Razor Spur Tr 487.1A - unknown.

Summit Tr/CDT - snow blocked in multiple places.
    Crest Tr - snow blocked.

Sargents north / Pitkin

Canyon Cr Tr 481 - snow blocked past the horse corral.
    Quakey Mtn Tr 537 - snow blocked in the middle.
    Waunita Tr 497 - open.

San Luis Valley, north end

Dorsey Cr area and south to Villa Grove - open.
    Poncha Loop area - open.

Passes

Black Sage Pass - open.
    Cottonwood Pass - open.
    Cumberland Pass - open from Pitkin side with some snowdrifts, snow blocked on the Tincup side at the pass. . . 130605
    Hancock Pass - unknown.
    Hayden Pass Rd - open with ride-through snow banks.
    Marshall Pass - snow blocked at the cut.
    Napoleon Pass - unknown.
    Old Monarch Pass - west side open to the pass (motorcycles), east side is snow blocked. . . 130605
    Pearl Pass - unknown.
    Star Pass - unknown.
    Taylor Pass - unknown.
    Tincup Pass - unknown.
    Tomichi Pass - unknown.
    Waunita Pass - open. . . 130605

Frenchy's, Tincup 970-641-4565 , open 8-5, B,L,D, no gas. Open with full menu on Friday June 7.
    Silver Plume General Store, Pitkin 970-641-3866 , open 9-4, gas/snacks.
    St Elmo General Store 719-395-2117/4773, open 8-5, no gas.