mtbr member

Circumnavigating Twin Lakes

A couple of years ago we were going to do the route around Twin Lakes but there was a sign posted after crossing over the dam saying that the bridge at the other end of the lakes had been destroyed (or washed out or something). We ended up riding to the old buildings and then turning around and coming back the way we came. Is that bridge back in place so you can do the full ride around the lakes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We just rode Twin Lakes earlier this week and it was good to go. I'd suggest also catching the section of the CO trail in addition to Turquoise Lake single track.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The bridge over Lake creek is pretty far upstream of the lake but it's there. I did it this June no problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You might not be able to cross over the dam (it was closed for Homeland Security reasons- I was stopped by a security guard years ago) instead taking the Colorado Trail around and below it.
    I second Wilsons recc- if you have not had enough drive up to Turquoise Lake and ride that trail too- park right next to the dam & the trail starts right there. It is an out & back if you want all dirt & no pavment.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I've got a brother coming up from sea level and I thought this would be an easy first ride to get used to the altitude before we try some others that require a wee bit more climbing.

And I'll check out the Turquoise Lake route as well.

Many thanks.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    You might not be able to cross over the dam (it was closed for Homeland Security reasons- I was stopped by a security guard years ago) instead taking the Colorado Trail around and below it.
    I second Wilsons recc- if you have not had enough drive up to Turquoise Lake and ride that trail too- park right next to the dam & the trail starts right there. It is an out & back if you want all dirt & no pavment.
    I've ridden over the dam several times in the last couple years with no issue.