mtbr member

CB and Gunnison conditions Nov. 1-7. Should I bring my bike?

I was offered a place to stay in Crested Butte next week and the weather forecast looks a bit slushy. I haven't ridden in the mountains this time of year and I'm wondering if I should mess with trying to fit my Nomad in our crossover before we drive from central Texas.

I desperately want to ride the area, but I don't want to tear up anyone's trails or waste my time if most trails aren't accessible.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I can handle downhill tech. but my base elevation is 1200... So, fitness will be a limiting factor, I'm sure.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

mtbr member
    November Mountain biking in the mountains is pretty unpredictable.

You might want to keep an eye on these live webcams:
    Live Cams | Crested Butte

You can see parts of the mountain have snow, but around the area it looks pretty dry right now.
    Altitude makes a huge difference. Higher stuff will probably be no go, but Gunnison and lower trails around CB could be good. That's my expert opinion from 250 miles away. Locals please chime in.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    I was offered a place to stay in Crested Butte next week and the weather forecast looks a bit slushy. I haven't ridden in the mountains this time of year and I'm wondering if I should mess with trying to fit my Nomad in our crossover before we drive from central Texas.

I desperately want to ride the area, but I don't want to tear up anyone's trails or waste my time if most trails aren't accessible.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I can handle downhill tech. but my base elevation is 1200... So, fitness will be a limiting factor, I'm sure.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
    You aren't going to be riding the high country classics like 401 that everybody goes on about. But...

Hartman Rocks just outside Gunnison is an outstanding place to ride, only about 7,500 ft elevation (easier on your low-elevation lungs) and it would be bizarre if it wasn't rideable next week. There's a bus that runs between CB and Gunny if you don't want to drive down there to ride, and it's just a short drive (easy half hour) if you want to drive. Gunnison is a super nice town too, I'd recommend popping down there just to walk around and maybe get a nice meal at one of their great restaurants.

As smilingsteve mentions, there are some lower trails right around CB as well that are very nice. I don't know what their snowline is right now (betcha we'll hear from one of the CB-ists) but I'd wager a cold and frosty one that there's some dry trail there near town too.

Bring your bike.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Going on the recent weather in Breckenridge and the forecast for the end of the week, (not the same as CB, but probably similar enough right now) I'd guess trails in CB - even the low elevation stuff will be snowy, slushy, and/or muddy. Hartman's will probably be good.

It's usually this time of year that you stick a fork in MTB riding in the ski towns.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    We got a few inches yesterday and are getting more snow Thursday night and Friday. The trails around here are pretty much done unless you have a fat bike now. Anything shaded is going to hold snow at this point even if it gets sunny and starts melting some of the snow. Your best bet is to go to Hartman rocks in gunny, it's riding great right now and is totally dry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    We got a few inches yesterday and are getting more snow Thursday night and Friday. The trails around here are pretty much done unless you have a fat bike now. Anything shaded is going to hold snow at this point even if it gets sunny and starts melting some of the snow. Your best bet is to go to Hartman rocks in gunny, it's riding great right now and is totally dry.
    Second on Hartman. Was out there Sunday and it is excellent riding right now.

If it dries out a bit and you do decide to try out some of the local trails, for a hike or run (I would stay off the bike) be aware that 3rd season Elk will be going on while you are here.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the good info guys. The forecast for CB next week doesn't look good for biking. If the consensus is Gunnison should be ride-able then I think I'll still try to fit the bike in the car (why are roof racks so expensive, anyway?).

If biking doesn't work out we may try some FS roads in our Jeep. I'll ask around for routes at rental places once we're there, I guess.

What would we do if biking is done, but the slopes aren't open? My wife is first-term pregnant and going through morning sickness. I doubt she'll be able to bundle up and hike with me at all. She probably can't handle winding Jeep trails either. I'm open to any outdoor recreation suggestions so I don't go crazy. I'd hate to drive all that way and then spend time sitting or wasting money shopping inside.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all of the good info guys. The forecast for CB next week doesn't look good for biking. If the consensus is Gunnison should be ride-able then I think I'll still try to fit the bike in the car (why are roof racks so expensive, anyway?).

If biking doesn't work out we may try some FS roads in our Jeep. I'll ask around for routes at rental places once we're there, I guess.

What would we do if biking is done, but the slopes aren't open? My wife is first-term pregnant and going through morning sickness. I doubt she'll be able to bundle up and hike with me at all. She probably can't handle winding Jeep trails either. I'm open to any outdoor recreation suggestions so I don't go crazy. I'd hate to drive all that way and then spend time sitting or wasting money shopping inside.
    The ski area doesn't open until Nov 25th. Hartmans will definitely be good. Even if it does rain or snow in gunny it melts fairly quick this time of year. There is also lower elevation hiking near gunny too, but like others have said it will be 3rd elk rifle season. Wear orange if you aren't going to be around hartmans.

mtbr member
    Hartmans sounds like it might be a winner. I'll google this, but just to be clear: there's no hunting in the recreation area, right? Around here, there is hunting in a few parks this time of year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hartmans sounds like it might be a winner. I'll google this, but just to be clear: there's no hunting in the recreation area, right? Around here, there is hunting in a few parks this time of year.
    Hartmans is BLM, so hunting is definitely allowed. That said, Hartman's is very popular with mtb this time of year, and you probably won't see a hunter unless you go pretty far, on a trail like Aberdeen.

Hopefully you and your wife will be able to at least hike, or drive some 4x4 roads. Otherwise, options are more limited right now than they normally are. Fishing? The ice rink or the pool in Gunny? Rock Climbing? That's all I can really think of off the top of my head...